forum

Playing without music...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
a1l2d3r4e5d6
I moved the other day and I don't have internet because my previous broadband provider was not allowed in the new place. :(
If you're wondering how I posted this, I am using my mobile network (thank you unlimited internet contract! :D )

I digress...

Since I couldn't download new maps, I practiced on the maps I already have which got very repetitive and boring as the days went by.
Then one day my head thought of a terrible challenge:

'What if you play without music?'

'WHAT!? HE'S GONE MAD!'
'It's a music game! What is he trying to achieve?'
'KILL IT! KILL IT BEFORE IT LAYS EGGS!!!!!!!'

maybe the last one was a bit too much. sorry.

The idea was to simply disable music in the options and not to completely disable your pc's audio. So you still had sounds on to help with rhythm.
I thought I would fail miserably, but I ended up topping a few of my S rank scores on diffucult maps and managing to pass maps where I usually fail at (Probably because I was practicing a lot beforehand :P ).

Anyone else thought of trying this? I thought it would be a challenge, but my 'amazing-ability-to-memorize-songs-in-one-go' kinda ruined the fun.
Pegram
Eww
EWWWWWW

I've tried out playing some rhythm games without music and it is HORRIBLE

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

The idea was to simply disable music in the options and not to completely disable your pc's audio. So you still had sounds on to help with rhythm.
So did you mean that... you put the music volume to 0 but still had hitsounds on, or what? If you can keep up the correct rhythm, and hear your own keypresses, obviously it helps a lot; but I at least need to hear the music to keep the exact same rhythm up.

So, without music I, most of the time at least, end up eventually going too slow or too fast, even if I do know the song well.

So yeah, SURPRISINGLY I PREFER MY MUSIC GAMES WITH MUSIC O:
Topic Starter
a1l2d3r4e5d6

ReZero wrote:

So did you mean that... you put the music volume to 0 but still had hitsounds on
That's pretty much what I meant. It would all come down to correctly getting the tempo correct, memorizing the song or visually timing the approach circles instead of relying on music. If I go too fast or too slow my head realises it and quickly adjusts accordingly.

Bear in mind that this idea was a result of my creative mind and It's attempt to keep me entertained while I wait for my internet provider to install my broadband so that I may download new maps. :P
Vuelo Eluko
my current play on this is 89% with music turned off
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/48842

but only because the song is so awful, i had to in order to play such a long map
Scintillate
i think its possible that this could help you.. but it wouldn't really help me imo. the hitsounds in most rhythm games are much more important to me than the actual song because you can get a better/basic feel of the songs tempo. so i guess i can see how completely removing the music could help..

though the improvements may just mean that you're.. improving in the game!
Aqo
I play rhythm games with music turned off on my android phone all the time now due to laziness of getting out earphones in public, it really makes no difference once you get used to sightread judge windows.
Shohei Ohtani
lol so cool xd
Dozy Van
I have played before with no sound but on most maps are fine but well mapped map's that increase or decrease slider speed along with music or have a big jumpy parts with music you end up messing up so hard.

and streams are just guessing the bpm
isn't it the method Obama had been using to practice?
Topic Starter
a1l2d3r4e5d6

41236 wrote:

Are you referring to the user, or the leader of a country?
Vuelo Eluko

41236 wrote:

you mean Bieber?
Maus
Yes, I do a lot vetter if I do that, but I kind of feel like I'm losing the point of the game so I don't do it.
B1rd
I think OP has a point: hitsounds are more important that music.
popc0rn

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

'KILL IT! KILL IT BEFORE IT LAYS EGGS!!!!!!!'
cringe

turning off music kinda defeats the purpose of osu
unless you wanted to focus on hitsounds or something
- Marco -
A Musical game without music is like an fps with a knife
Ringohan

B1rd wrote:

I think OP has a point: hitsounds are more important that music.
And that's why I cringe everytime I hit too early. Can put me out of my concentration immediately