forum

[resolved] FPS spikes after ugprading to cutting edge

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
wildcookie
Problem Details:

I downloaded the cutting edge and noticed significant changes in my gameplay, the game feels like its freezing for a verry little time but its noticeable for the eye and it is interrupting my gameplay alot, I then downgraded to stable but the problem persists, i tried relaunching it a couple of times but it still remains the same..

osu! version: 20141126.7cuttingedge
IA42
[BAR] Rei
I have an i7 and a GeForce GTX 770 (which is pretty darn good), and even I've had fps drops (particularly in mania). Just give it a few days, peppy'll prolly fix it 'cause he's awesome and that's what he does. In the mean time, use the stable build. It has to be because of the triangles :P #blametriangles2014
Love your profile pic btw :3
TheVileOne
Have you tried using a higher frame limiter? If your computer can handle it, then more frames can mean less interrupts. Of course if the problem is that your gpu isn't handling frames fast enough then this will not help.
drum drum
It's probably the i7 and gtx bottlenecking eachother. The i7 core has a gpu-like system with it to give smoother performances etc (cmiiw)
Make it so only one of them are being used for osu!
VeilStar

drum drum wrote:

It's probably the i7 and gtx bottlenecking eachother.
.... What are you even saying?

drum drum wrote:

The i7 core has a gpu-like system with it to give smoother performances etc (cmiiw)
Make it so only one of them are being used for osu!
Some have on-board graphics, depends on the CPU model.
Either way, you're probably talking about Nvidia Optimus,
which witches between the graphics chip used automatically depending on the scenario.
But that's only for notebooks/laptops, and when running an application like osu! I highly doubt it will pick the on-board chip.

So yeah, I'm sorry, but no, just no.
I don't mean to talk smack or something, but I'm just saying that this makes nearly no sense.

Anyway, for 'fps spikes'/'framedrops' the first and foremost thing to do is monitor CPU & GPU loads and running a benchmark with FRAPS.
This, if nothing else, rules out the vast majority of possible causes, and can give clear direction to the actual cause.

Furthermore, here's a checklist of things to try (preferrably all at the same time);
-Disable Aero / use a basic, high contrast theme
-Set the priotity of the osu!.exe process to high
-run in fullscreen mode at your native resolution
-put both the windows & graphics card control panel's settings to prefer maximum performance
[BAR] Rei

TheVileOne wrote:

Have you tried using a higher frame limiter? If your computer can handle it, then more frames can mean less interrupts. Of course if the problem is that your gpu isn't handling frames fast enough then this will not help.
Tried 60fps and unlimited, same exact behaviour.

drum drum wrote:

It's probably the i7 and gtx bottlenecking eachother.
Then why would the problem happen at the exact same time as the triangle transitions are implemented, and not before? (I'm not blaming the triangles, just saying that it's more likely to have something to do with the update. I know better than to diss the triangles.)
TheVileOne
The triangles cause lag spikes. Wait until they are properly optimized by switching to stable. The lagging shouldn't happen outside of screen transitions if this is the stuttering you are describing.

Added that issue to the OP
[BAR] Rei

VeilStar wrote:

for 'fps spikes'/'framedrops' the first and foremost thing to do is monitor CPU & GPU loads
That's the funny part : CPU load @ 6% and GPU running supposedly 1200 FPS ; normal temperature (haven't found a load percentage anywhere though).

Thing is I'm starting to wonder if it's just me seeing things.
VeilStar

[BAR] Rei wrote:

That's the funny part : CPU load @ 6% and GPU running supposedly 1200 FPS ; normal temperature (haven't found a load percentage anywhere though).
GPU load (and other GPU statistics) can be monitored with a program like MSI Afterburner (for example).

Anyway, it reminds me of this.
Would recommend to read trough the entire post, but long story short;

Tarynn was getting 'framedrops' without his GPU & CPU usage showing anything odd;
furthermore, I asked him to run a benchmark with FRAPS
(which saves the frametimes for each frame, minimum, maximum & avarage fps, and such)
and when I looked trough the benchmark results there were absolutely no framedrips or any framerate issues visible.
And if there were some, it would be recorded in the benchmark.

Turned out it was aero causing visual framedips/lagspikes/skips, even though there was no problem in the rendering process what so ever.

Anyway.... As I said, I would recommend to read trough it, try out suggested solutions, and so on, and so forth.
breby
I'm getting this issue as well. Only happens in cutting edge (both with or without triangles), stable is silky smooth.

I'm fairly sure actual frameskips/drops aren't the issue here.
I did some benchmarks with FRAPs a couple of times in cutting edge (b20141127.4) with various settings (different frame limits and triangles on/off) and once in stable, both just playing through one song.
Frameskips were pretty consistent across each benchmark whereas the game only seemed choppy in the cutting edge builds. I also tried disabling windows aero (I didn't do this in a benchmark) but that didn't seem to help.
If you want you can check out the benchmarks here http://puu.sh/d8t5w/7b699f51fa.zip.

tl;dr - Seems to be a software issue. Maybe the game is constantly rendering triangles and just hiding them when they shouldn't be shown (like in game or the menu with triangles disabled)?

I have way too much free time ;-;
chong601
Confirming. The microskip is really noticeable during gameplay coupled up with a weird results on the hit windows (not visible on screenshot because of Auto pressing damn accurate)
If feels like a 300 fps VSynced on cuttingedge while in stable it goes really smooth.

Cuttingedge screenshot:

Stable screenshot:

Both are running on the same settings (1024*600, unlimited fps, windowed, background video, storyboards and shader effects on and others are off)

Extra mentioning: the fps didn't spike like sudden drop and back, its constantly at 300fps at cuttingedge and on stable it goes from 800-1200 depending on the number of notes on the playfield
Topic Starter
wildcookie
oh wow, this is getting into a deep technical discussion, I fixed it by ending explorer.exe task and launching it again though if anyone's wondering.. or i guess a pc restart would have helped but i can't recall now
chong601
I doubt though, still getting >600 fps on stable but less than 350 on cuttingedge
[BAR] Rei
Don't have the problem anymore since b20141128cuttingedge. Just as I said ; peppy fixed it :3 THANK YOU PEPPY
Gumpy
I dropped form 1k ish fps to like 133 after the latest cuttingedge.
And no nothing has changed on my PC.
drum drum

wildcookie wrote:

oh wow, this is getting into a deep technical discussion, I fixed it by ending explorer.exe task and launching it again though if anyone's wondering.. or i guess a pc restart would have helped but i can't recall now
2deep4me

marking as resolved