forum

G-Sync/FreeSync

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Qenomo
Wondering if any of you have G-Sync and is it worth the upgrade and theoretically would input lag be less or more with G-sync in comparison to having Unlimited FPS with around 1000FPS or 400FPS which would give 1ms input lag delay I think. I am not too sure however what are your thoughts on G-Sync and FreeSync? =)
Mofu kun
What exactly is G-Sync/FreeSync? I would like to know.
Gumpy

MoF10 wrote:

Basically it tries to make it so frame drops aren't as noticeabe
IppE

MoF10 wrote:

Technologies that force the screen to update when the gpu outputs a new frame instead of updating at set intervals. Makes lower framerates feel much smoother and practically eliminates all tearing without using vsync.
Topic Starter
Qenomo
It also supposedly lowers input lag however I am not to sure if it has any difference to say 1000fps unlimited
Therieri
Is there then something wrong using 60 fps as max? :/
Topic Starter
Qenomo
More lag if frames drop below. Not as smooth
Therieri
I've heard so many times that it's not good to have big frames because it will cause more easily lag in game when those drop down. So in osu! it's not the case? Which frame count in osu! is best to have?
dung eater
as a rule of thumb, highest stable fps you can get is a good fps to have in any game (set your limit to lower than the lowest your fps ever goes)
gsync/freesync will probably have less inputlag than vsync

the bigger your fps without frame sync, the less noticeable tearing will be and you'll get a bit less input lag (less time from frame drawn to frame shown)
Therieri
So since my FPS is 400-500 it's good set it to 240?
Topic Starter
Qenomo

jaaakb wrote:

as a rule of thumb, highest stable fps you can get is a good fps to have in any game (set your limit to lower than the lowest your fps ever goes)
gsync/freesync will probably have less inputlag than vsync

the bigger your fps without frame sync, the less noticeable tearing will be and you'll get a bit less input lag (less time from frame drawn to frame shown)
Would having monitor refreshrate matching ingame FPS be less lag than say 1000FPS on a 60hz monitor?
FrzR

MoF10 wrote:

Both of them are like "Improved VSync" features from the latest graphics cards for Nvidia(G-Sync) and AMD/Radeon(FreeSync) Along with other monitors like ASUS' 144Hz monitors that support G/FreeSync. (Forgot the name sorry).

That's what I know. Correct me if I'm wrong. =w=)
Topic Starter
Qenomo
Would g-sync reduce input lag over no vsync unlimited fps?
Granger

jaaakb wrote:

Following this advice id have to lock my FPS at 50... Yeah, no thanks, id rather have a bit unstable 100 fps.