forum

Allow public !faq commands in #help

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +6
Topic Starter
Tear
#help is a channel where half of all questions can be answered with !faq commands, and for normal users who want to help others it's quite tedious to write the same things every time and telling people to write "!faq something" in chat usually just confuses them further. I understand why !faq is not available in other channels, but I think it should be enabled here.
drum drum
Isn't this the same reason why people don't have access to public !faq in other chats is because of misuse/abuse? This will most likely happen.
Topic Starter
Tear
People can spam even without !faq commands, I don't see how that changes anything.
drum drum
So we should allow people to use !faq immaturely or spam the commands themselves? This can be worse than just spam itself. The fact people are playing with a tool rather than using it correctly. This is why we can't have nice things.
Topic Starter
Tear
The thing about #help is that it's exclusively for asking and answering questions. Casual conversations are not allowed, so there's not much room for abuse.
drum drum
Tell it to the people who come to ask questions
Bara-
Maybe make it like this
When opening the chat, it says: 'If someone thinks you should type !faq something, just do it
It can be really helpful for you'.
Edit: OR
You should be able to send !faqs to people via pm
Iirc, this is not the case now
Sea_Food
If you feel like not bothering to awnser with your own words just dont awnser at all.
But yeah if there was one public channel where normal users could use the !faqs, then they would just do it to exersize the power. Ofcourse people can spam/misbehave without this, but remember that situations make criminals.

What baraatje says i would want in this game but for other reasons than this. Maybe i should start a new thread
- Marco -
A !faq cooldown like /np but the timer is for everyone? D:
VeilStar
Bump. Because it's useful.

I asked about this in #help before (actually just about 4 months ago aswell),
but Meaglwn pretty much just straight up shot it down.

I asked about this in a PM to MillhioreF a little while later.
And he said something along the lines of 'I'll bring it up'.

We (those that would like this) are all well aware of the negative impact it can have. But

Tear wrote:

People can spam even without !faq commands, I don't see how that changes anything.
^ this is the counter-argument to that.
(If a user gets silenced for spamming !faq commands the banchobot lines will not dissapear with it. But is this even an issue?)
So yeah. A bump it is.
Sure, why not. Suppport!
Oinari-sama
Quite frankly I wouldn't like this. People play with !roll and other commands in #multiplayer probably because that's the only place where they can show it to others. Having #help filled with !faqs will make it harder to read.

And I don't think restricting/cooldown will work well either. Once again just look at #multiplayer, one player !roll and others follow. Imo this would be counter productive.
the thing is, why would you even want to play around with !faq command? comparing it with !roll (esp !rolls in a multiplayer chat, which isn't even a public channel and people inside one doesn't have any limits) doesn't make any sense because !roll isn't intended to be a productive !command, unlike !faq. secondly, just because there will be some people messing around with it doesn't mean everyone will. and considering help is a pretty "serious" channel by a short glance, i'd say only a little next to none would even bother to do so.
Seijiro
What about nominating trustful people with those "powers"? #help is a channel followed by a lot of staff members, or at least they leave it opened, so they sure see who has the brain to use faqs or not.

As an option to this I'd suggest something like copy/pasting phrases on a block notes, but that actually isn't suitable to answer to questions so it becomes tedious and useless anyway... :/

On a side note I'd like to say that it looks a bit egoistic from my point of view that moderators (or the staff in general) won't accept any help from users who know the rules and the faqs (and also the wiki I should say) but don't have the requisits to be a moderator or part of the staff (maybe because they can't be active as they should be or for any other silly reason), while they could easily do that.
I'm not saying that in general the staff doesn't accept the kind of help I'm talking about: I was just referring to this kind of request, nothing more.
Don't take it wrong, I'm not trying to pick up a fight with anyone. I just wanted to express it in calm way, so forgive me if my vocabulary inn't enough to give this impression.

That's all for now :3
- Marco -

[-MrSergio-] wrote:

What about nominating trustful people with those "powers"? #help is a channel followed by a lot of staff members, or at least they leave it opened, so they sure see who has the brain to use faqs or not.
like BN that are not tecnically a part of the team ^^. Maybe they're called "helper"?