forum

Just got my first keyboard

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rep_old_1
Mechanical keyboard with red switches. I found out the issue of why I'm having a difficult time using it: because it's not registering the keys because it thinks I didn't release the key. I'm used to my laptop chiclet keyboard so there's very little space between pressing the key and bottoming it out, so on the mechanical keyboard, I'm not fully releasing the key because I don't have enough time to fully release it all the way when I'm doing triples or streams. :cry:
Vuelo Eluko
yeah reds pretty much make you do all the work [this is why i switched to blacks], just practice and you'll figure out just how high you have to lift your fingers.
E m i
issue: i don't make an action that is required in order for a successful click to be registered, what do?
hmm...
i wonder...
play more
release the key
Topic Starter
rep_old_1

Riince wrote:

yeah reds pretty much make you do all the work [this is why i switched to blacks], just practice and you'll figure out just how high you have to lift your fingers.
I might switch to blacks too because I already have a good feel about how high lift my fingers. But by the time I lift the key all the way up, the notes have already gone by and I missed them all. So a mechanical keyboard is actually making me slower than a laptop keyboard :( It might be better if the keys rebounded back up faster, but I don't know how to modify a keyboard to make it spring back up more quickly. (Also don't want to void the warranty because I might return this keyboard if I continue to have issues with it)
sayonara_sekai
you actually need to do things to get used to them. crazy i know

no one here can tell you how to use a goddamn keyboard
buny
have you tried plugging it in?
-sev
ok
Green Platinum

repath wrote:

I might switch to blacks too
Yes it's the keyboards fault
Vuelo Eluko

Green Platinum wrote:

repath wrote:

I might switch to blacks too
Yes it's the keyboards fault
well with reds the back of my hand would always go from aching to burning to please make the pain stop with a meat cleaver to the wrist, even after months of using it. i can say that streaming long/fast with blacks has not caused the same thing to happen once,

and i wouldnt just attribute that to building up endurance, since even when i play more intensely than i ever did with reds it doesnt happen

point is the keyboard can really be the root cause of some problems
xasuma
look up : o-rings

they might not help
FieryLight
I'm pretty sure blacks articulate at the same point, they're just harder to press which wears you out faster. But for those with good stamina, it also helps with speed since they spring back up faster. The only way switching from reds to blacks would help is if you don't bottom out.
Vuelo Eluko

FieryLight wrote:

I'm pretty sure blacks articulate at the same point, they're just harder to press which wears you out faster. But for those with good stamina, it also helps with speed since they spring back up faster. The only way switching from reds to blacks would help is if you don't bottom out.
myth
I Give Up
No wonder, if you're accustomed to laptop keyboards of course you can face problems switching over to deeper keys. Scissor switch typically bottom out at around 2mm which is half the distance for mx switches. You might try some O-rings to shorten the distance or just keep playing till you get used to it. I face the same issue and am slowly adjusting to press more gently during streams.
Sorun

FieryLight wrote:

Stamina shouldn't be a problem if you're not bottoming out I believe.
buny

Sorun wrote:

FieryLight wrote:

Stamina shouldn't be a problem if you're not bottoming out I believe.
Stamina shouldn't be a problem if you're not moving your fingers I believe.
Sorun

buny wrote:

Stamina shouldn't be a problem if you're not moving your fingers I believe.
I do believe this to be a scientifically backed fact.
Gumpy
Maybe you should use it more as learning to pull your finger far enough is learned by using it.
Lerq

buny wrote:

have you tried plugging it in?
Whats the next step? I've been stuck on this step for hours and I'm about to give up
deletemyaccount

repath wrote:

Mechanical keyboard with red switches. I found out the issue of why I'm having a difficult time using it: because it's not registering the keys because it thinks I didn't release the key. I'm used to my laptop chiclet keyboard so there's very little space between pressing the key and bottoming it out, so on the mechanical keyboard, I'm not fully releasing the key because I don't have enough time to fully release it all the way when I'm doing triples or streams. :cry:
There's your problem. You said it yourself; you just got the mechanical keyboard, try using it first.
If you're worrying about maybe buying the wrong switch then don't, I'm pretty sure its universally agreed on that reds are the best for osu!(don't quote me on this)
cheezstik

Philantropist wrote:

I'm pretty sure its universally agreed on that reds are the best for osu!(don't quote me on this)

srs though, I agree, even though I'm still on rubber domes and probably will be for the rest of my poor life, it makes sense that the easiest to press would give the most stamina, well, browns are technically easier to press but they are loud and tactile and pretty uncommon to find as a choice on most keyboards.
B1rd
Well I'm a similar position, I came from using mouse only, and now I have a lot of trouble using a mech keyboard properly because you have to lift your fingers up. You have to unlearn your previous way of streaming and learn the proper way, it's hard.
Karuta-_old_1
Sometimes I have problem trying to do triplets and streams with my mechanical keyboard on certain songs

but it is funny how I learned to stream from my mechanical keyboard and streamed better on my laptop keyboard

scissor switch is really the best for consistency but it feels mushy and lacks feedback in my case

I just can't understand myself