forum

If you play osu on a regular basis, would you become smarter

posted
Total Posts
show more
thelewa

Kippo wrote:

I was wondeing since while playing osu! that you have to react quickly to get from place to place as well as memorize as you replay the same beatmaps, I've noticed it was simular to playing an action game. So would playing Osu on a regular basis make you react faster and improve your memory thus making you smarter, or would nothing happen?
A serious answer: Probably not.

I have not noticed any sort of improvement and instead have noticed that my memory has gotten way worse due to how repetitive everything in the game is. My sense of time is also pretty borked up. Sometimes I get surprised when I notice that some score I did is over 2 years old when it feels like last week.
There's no variety, which is something that I think would improve how your brain works. It's just the same thing repeated over and over.
Illysia
unless you take classes where it requires the clicking of circles, then probably not
Pegram
OSU! MESSES WITH YOUR BRAAAAINS

I wouldn't use the word "smart" either. Rhythm games have probably improved my
1) typing speed
2) reaction time
3) eye-hand coordination, or whatever it is in English
4) sense of rhythm, although it was fairly good to begin with
5) taste in music :----D
6) muscle memory when it comes to rhythm games
...and that's about it?

Also I had a math exam yesterday and instead of studying I played taiko so clearly osu! makes me dumb
Ryneo

ReZero wrote:

OSU! MESSES WITH YOUR BRAAAAINS

I wouldn't use the word "smart" either. Rhythm games have probably improved my
1) typing speed
2) reaction time
3) eye-hand coordination, or whatever it is in English
4) sense of rhythm, although it was fairly good to begin with
5) taste in music :----D
6) muscle memory when it comes to rhythm games
...and that's about it?

Also I had a math exam yesterday and instead of studying I played taiko so clearly osu! makes me dumb
(*TーT)b
Kobi_old_1

thelewa wrote:

It's just the same thing repeated over and over.
"Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results" - some dude somewhere. probably not Einstein like everyone seems to think
Purple
Well if you're not some ultra talented person born to click circles you'll probably need some measure of intelligence in order to improve at a quick pace. Also some emotional intelligence would be nice so you don't lock yourself out of your account when something goes bad.

so thats something i guess. otherwise no this game is entirely brute force and wont make you smart.
co-2_old
At the very least, my reaction time has improved, but I doubt that I'm getting smarter from playing this.
Bweh
It would depend on your approach to the game, although at that point it wouldn't be the game making you smarter.
Therieri
If you use tablet it might make you better at using it. Or if you using mouse then your mouse accuracy comes better. But that doesn't mean you are smarter.
Birdy
If you're playing mainly Nightcore and TV Size stuff, absolutely not.
loldcraft
Osu grants agility, but very little strength or intelligence if any at all.

Kippo wrote:

react faster and improve your memory thus making you smarter
Jumping to conclusions the faster because your memory allows you to know everything doesn't make anyone smarter. Its quite the opposite (usually).
In fact, knowledge without wisdom creates stupidity on a greater scale than the absence of both.
Therieri

Static Noise Bird wrote:

If you're playing mainly Nightcore and TV Size stuff, absolutely not.
What's bad about TV Size stuff?
Shohei Ohtani
What the fuck is up with Americans and always asking the weirdest fucking questions like seriously god damn maybe it's because they made fucking weed legal in like 3 states so you're just spending the majority of the time blazing and thinking of this shit
Therieri

CDFA wrote:

What the fuck is up with Americans and always asking the weirdest fucking questions like seriously god damn maybe it's because they made fucking weed legal in like 3 states so you're just spending the majority of the time blazing and thinking of this shit
First thing what I did after reading your post which is full of rage I wanted to see who would hate USA so much. Then I noticed that you are from America also. That made me giggle a little. Well I guess it's normal because I also hate that Finns can't really have fun without drinking lot of alcohol.
Birdy

Therieri wrote:

Finns can't really have fun without drinking lot of alcohol.
How totally segregated. Generalization ahoy!
B1rd
The benefits are canceled out when the game causes you to quit school and withdraw from society.
Therieri

B1rd wrote:

The benefits are canceled out when the game causes you to quit school and withdraw from society.
Why this reminds me of time when I was in vocational school and there for few school mates who didn't come to school because World of Warcraft was more important.
self
Playing osu! really does sharpen my senses and gives me an overall increase in awareness and cognitive ability. I personally believe that playing osu! with mods such as "hidden"and "flashlight" allow you to effectively train your working memory, which has actually been shown to be a more reliable measurement of intelligence than IQ. If I play drums or piano after playing through a dozen or so beat-maps that are 4 stars or higher in difficulty, I will always find that my skills are more proficient than usual, with much less effort required to preform well.
Kaine
Playing games makes you better at games

Studying makes you smarter
Necturion
No you won't get smarter, you'll lose your social life probably though :P
Zuikaku
You'll become knowledgeable about osu and that's pretty much it, oh but unless you take it seriously and start using physics regarding the velocity and acceleration and displacement of the pen (if using a tablet) or calculating the units of pressure of your fingers when streaming in osu in accordance to the gravitational pull of the earth (as found by Newton to be 9.8 * x) then no, probably not.
Telstra3G

Poisonmellon wrote:

You'll become knowledgeable about osu and that's pretty much it, oh but unless you take it seriously and start using physics regarding the velocity and acceleration and displacement of the pen (if using a tablet) or calculating the units of pressure of your fingers when streaming in osu in accordance to the gravitational pull of the earth (as found by Newton to be 9.8 * x) then no, probably not.
The new Isaac Newton confirmed.