forum

Problems with right handed tapping, any tips?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
N3bby
Recently I switched over from a mouse to a tablet.
I'm left handed, but I use my mouse with my right hand. When I switched over to my tablet, it was nearly impossible for me to aim with the pen in my right hand, so I had to change over to left handed aiming and right handed tapping.

My aim has improved a lot since I had the tablet.
The problem I'm having is with right handed tapping... it's hard (can't stream 120bpm and slow single-tapping). My fingers seem to tense up when I'm playing. Also, I feel pain in my fingers after long sessions of osu which I didn't have when I was tapping with my left hand.

Does anybody have any tips how I can improve my right handed tapping? It hasn't improved much since I started doing it :/
I'm also quite scared that the pain could maybe elevate to rsi? Is that possible?

Thanks in advance!
buny
have you tried playing more?
Topic Starter
N3bby
I've been playing like this for 3 weeks for at least 2-3 hours a day and haven't improved whatsoever. So I'm kind of discouraged :/
Bauxe
You feel the pain because you are probably playing more than you can actually comfortably do. (aka you are being fucking stupid)

Don't try to play through pain, it is literally the stupidest thing you could ever possibly do.

Play frequently, but in periods you can manage without causing self-harm. The only way to improve is, as buny said, practice. Don't look for shortcuts.

edit: 3weeks is fucking nothing. Especially when judging by your graph, that is like 1,000 plays. Come back after maybe 10,000.
buny

Razacx wrote:

I've been playing like this for 3 weeks for at least 2-3 hours a day and haven't improved whatsoever. So I'm kind of discouraged :/
how do you play for at least 2-3 hours a day and yet only have 1k playcount for the month?

I play like 10mins a day on average and get 1k

as for your hands hurting, maybe your hand is in a bad position? Or naturally you're pushing yourself too far past your limits causing stress to them (or you're playing too much. take breaks)
Bauxe
I think I found the source of the pain.

E m i

buny wrote:

how do you play for at least 2-3 hours a day and yet only have 1k playcount for the month?
for some people, the definition of playing is having osu! running. often while furry roleplaying in #osu.
Bauxe

[ Momiji ] wrote:

buny wrote:

for some people, the definition of playing is having osu! running. often while furry roleplaying in #osu.
Clearly he's only playing 4 minute long songs. And never retrying.
buny

[ Momiji ] wrote:

buny wrote:

ohhh i thought he say playing osu, not himself
E m i
>Total Hits: 1,143,840
slightly more relevant, but if I actually wanted to answer OP's question, I'd say 'play more'.
Zeraph
>3000 playcount
>getting rsi
Vuelo Eluko
i did the EXACT same thing as you just in reverse [right handed, used mouse with left hand, ended up switching to right hand tablet]

and i can vouch for playing more
Topic Starter
N3bby

Zeraph wrote:

>3000 playcount
>getting rsi
Yeah, it might be kind of exaggerated. But after reading all scary stuff about it and having people with rsi in my family...

Don't try to play through pain, it is literally the stupidest thing you could ever possibly do.
That's a misconception. I stop playing when I start feeling pain.
Topic Starter
N3bby

buny wrote:

Razacx wrote:

Pretty normal actually.
Let's say a song takes about 4 minutes
60/4 = 15 songs per hour
* 2.5 hours = 37.5 songs per day
* 30 days = 1125 songs

I also play marathon maps sometimes
buny
You average 372.8 hits per map you play

your last 3 songs played are tv sized

your most played songs are songs that have a lot more than that average

seems legit, nearly all your songs are less than 4 minutes as well so you can't use that as a base value lol..

Most ranked songs don't even go to 4 mins

I also doubt you NEVER retry, or play every map fully
GoldenWolf
Why the poot does it even matter holy

@OP; don't overdo it, don't push yourself too hard, if you experience pain after playing then play slower/easier stuff until you get used to using your right hand, then you can move onto faster maps
Topic Starter
N3bby

buny wrote:

You average 372.8 hits per map you play

your last 3 songs played are tv sized

your most played songs are songs that have a lot more than that average

seems legit, nearly all your songs are less than 4 minutes as well so you can't use that as a base value lol..

Most ranked songs don't even go to 4 mins

I also doubt you NEVER retry, or play every map fully
Ok maybe not then, srry about that.
I do not retry every map as you said indeed. I usually just keep randomizing songs from the ones I have and I play those. Playing the same map 5 times in a row is not what I consider fun :p.
Vuelo Eluko
i have like 50 full runs of that renard marathon and 2 clears of that within temptation 50 minute shit, yet only average 269 hits per play because even a bit of retrying can skew that statistic massively
buny

GoldenWolf wrote:

Why the poot does it even matter holy

@OP; don't overdo it, don't push yourself too hard, if you experience pain after playing then play slower/easier stuff until you get used to using your right hand, then you can move onto faster maps
because op stated that he plays a lot when he doesn't
GoldenWolf
Less than 1k pc a month is obviously not a lot, why do you need to go arguing this deep to prove he's wrong when you only have to state this
It's almost even off-topic at this point
buny

GoldenWolf wrote:

Less than 1k pc a month is obviously not a lot, why do you need to go arguing this deep to prove he's wrong when you only have to state this
because when you have that mentslity, you tell yourself that playing more is not a solution. op is quite adamant that he plays a lot, and you even said so yourself that 1k is not a lot

use your head pls
Topic Starter
N3bby

buny wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

because when you have that mentslity, you tell yourself that playing more is not a solution. op is quite adamant that he plays a lot, and you even said so yourself that 1k is not a lot

use your head pls
Wow, chill out, what does it even matter right now? I play during the free time I have and I myself consider that a lot.
It might not be a lot for you since you're so highly ranked.
But is that a reason to act the way you do?
buny
i am chill.

dont make a thread on how to get better if you cant take slight criticism towards your standard of playing. if you are fine with how often you play etc, then dont make a post with a question thats answer is to literally play more.

just my 2c, last post here because your argument is giving me ebola
cheezstik

Razacx wrote:

I play during the free time I have and I myself consider that a lot. It might not be a lot for you since you're so highly ranked.
Rank doesn't necessarily gauge how often someone plays, sure they might have played a fk load in total to get there, but they might have done it over a long period of time.

Anyway, I'd consider around 1.5k - 2k playcount (Normal playcount, no spamming retries etc.) a month around casual to average, and 3-4k+ a month playing a lot. Rafis played something like 8k+ a month and even hitting 10k plays in a month, and that could definitely be considered a lot since he's rank #7 in the world after roughly a year of playing. Woobowiz played around 6k a month I think and hit rank #>3k after 6 months.
chainpullz
Man, when I switched over to tablet it was nearly impossible for me to aim with my right hand too. I'm right handed. You know what I didn't do? Change the way I've used a computer my whole life...
Topic Starter
N3bby

chainpullz wrote:

Man, when I switched over to tablet it was nearly impossible for me to aim with my right hand too. I'm right handed. You know what I didn't do? Change the way I've used a computer my whole life...
The aiming isn't the problem tough...
Bauxe

Razacx wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

The aiming isn't the problem tough...
He's saying put the pen in your other hand and learn to control it.
Saphirshroom

Bauxe wrote:

That's pretty counter-productive unless the OP's fine motor skills are fairly good with his non-dominant hand. What hand is dominant is determined by your genes and you'll be able to overcome it partially but in the end you'll just flat out be better with one hand, having used a computer mouse with your non-dominant hand doesn't change that.
Talking to the OP now, if you've used your right hand a lot for doing things that require precision (especially writing) you might be able to get good aim with your right hand. Otherwise I suggest you just learn to tap with your right hand. It's not that hard, really.
Topic Starter
N3bby

Saphirshroom wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

That's pretty counter-productive unless the OP's fine motor skills are fairly good with his non-dominant hand. What hand is dominant is determined by your genes and you'll be able to overcome it partially but in the end you'll just flat out be better with one hand, having used a computer mouse with your non-dominant hand doesn't change that.
Talking to the OP now, if you've used your right hand a lot for doing things that require precision (especially writing) you might be able to get good aim with your right hand. Otherwise I suggest you just learn to tap with your right hand. It's not that hard, really.
Thanks for the explanation :)

After reading trough this thread again, I concluded that I should just not worry about anything.
I mean, games are all about having fun right? :p

And anyways, I won't be able to play at all for the next three weeks due to exams :/
sayonara_sekai
my hand locks up / starts hurting too when i mash but never when I play maps that are comfortable speedwise.
hope this helps
show more