forum

Mouse sense (yea again)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
casool
I know this question has been asked a million times but I didn't really want to jack another user's thread on this issue.

I just started playing 4 days ago and I was wondering if my setup is ok so far. I'm mostly just concerned with more advanced stuff down the road.
Mouse+keyboard
I have a 1920x1080 monitor but im playing windowed 1600x900
400 Dpi
2.09x ingame, with raw input on.
Also is mouse acceleration on by default? There doesn't seem to be an option to turn it off.
-JaZe-
afaik, raw input makes mouse acceleration a nonissue, but maybe somebody else can tell you for sure
B1rd
raw input bypasses any Windows mouse acceleration, so yeah there should be any. your settings are good, you have a pretty reasonable dpi.

as for equipment, if you're serious about the game then mechanical keyboards and a graphics tablet are things to look into.
Mechanical keyboards are much better for the game than standard rubber dome keyboards, and are used by pretty much all top osu! players. Tablets are generally superior to mice for aiming, and most top osu! players use them. However there are still some notable top osu! players who use a mouse (Doomsday, cptnXn etc); you can still get good at the game with a mouse, it's just harder.
But obviously you haven't played the game much yet, once you play some more you can determine if you like the game and want to invest the money for equipment.
cheezstik
If you have raw input enabled, then mouse acceleration from software is disabled. If you have a laser sensor mouse, then it nearly definitely has some acceleration built in that can't be disabled, that can be fixed by getting an optical sensor mouse, but it's not a big deal cos the acceleration is very miniscule and you likely don't notice it.

You're using a good DPI level, but if possible, you should try and change your DPI to 800 and set in-game sensitivity to 1.0x, as changing the sensitivity multiplier will make your cursor skip pixels, which will make movement less smooth compared to 1.0x sensitivity movement. If your mouses DPI can't be changed, then I guess there is no way around this, and your setup is fine.
AdamMZ

B1rd wrote:

However there are still some notable top osu! players who use a mouse (Doomsday, cptnXn etc); you can still get good at the game with a mouse, it's just harder.
Dude, after one month of tableting, I switch to mouse. And maybe it seems like this... rate of improving in mouse is as same as in tablet. But that's just in my experience.

The only problem with mouse is that you need to set it up right. For example, I play without mouse pad. If I don't clean my table, it's gonna get like this... "mouse dust"... or something.
cheezstik

AdamMZ wrote:

B1rd wrote:

However there are still some notable top osu! players who use a mouse (Doomsday, cptnXn etc); you can still get good at the game with a mouse, it's just harder.
Dude, after one month of tableting, I switch to mouse. And maybe it seems like this... rate of improving in mouse is as same as in tablet. But that's just in my experience.

The only problem with mouse is that you need to set it up right. For example, I play without mouse pad. If I don't clean my table, it's gonna get like this... "mouse dust"... or something.
It obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but most people I talk to tend to say that they had a much easier time improving on tablet than they did on mouse. Might have been placebo or whatever, but things like absolute positioning really do wonders for muscle memory and aim. With such a load lifted off aim, then it becomes easier to focus more and improve on other aspects of the game, even those irrelevant of the tablet, such as reading and accuracy (unless you play tap / mouse only). Mouse does have some advantages, such as a less shaky cursor and steadier aim, as well as more precise snapping, but absolute positioning is massive.
Topic Starter
casool
I'm using a Deathadder and Blackwidow, so I guess i'm fine as far as I can tell based on what you guys said.

I have to use 400 dpi or it will mess up my CS:GO settings, which is another game that heavily relies on sensitivity.

Thanks for the help tho :)

I also have do have a Wacom Bamboo Create but I feel more comfortable with the mouse

except on spinners

Only reason I don't like the tablet is because I have a bad habit of lifting up my pen too far. My friend's have told me you get used to this but idk
AdamMZ
I hover when I use tablet instead. I switched to mouse because no one sells tablet here. :( I'm just afraid that my tablet will brake.
Topic Starter
casool
Well yea I hover too, and I'm also on the same page that I don't want to ruin my (relatively) expensive tablet
B1rd
You have a Deathadder? vwhy don't you put your sensitivity at 800, and then halve your CS:GO and osu! ingame sensitivity? It doesn't matter a whole lot, it's just that the cursor will skip pixels.

You shouldn't damage your tablet if you just use it normally. As for lifting your pen up, it's a common problem but it is generally solved with simple practice. So IMO you shouldn't not use tablet for those reasons. After you get used to a tablet you should improve a bit faster with it. But if you just prefer mouse, there's nothing wrong with that.
Ohrami
I've used 3 different tablets to play osu! in 3 years and none of them have broken. All that will happen is that the "rough" feel will start to become smooth (something which I prefer).
AdamMZ
Even if the possibility of getting the tablet to break is really low, I'm just gonna prefer mouse. I'm paranoid. :3
ZenithPhantasm
If your mouse sensitivity isn't at 1.0x, you will lose mouse precision. Turn your osu sensitivity down to 1.0x and turn your dpi up to 800.
Topic Starter
casool
Is the 1.0x really that much of a difference?

Also I can't actually get it to 1.0x exactly :V
B1rd
you can use the arrow keys you know.
FrzR
Set your osu! sensitivity to 1.0x and raise your dpi. I could suggest 800-1200, see what floats your boat.
winber1
your settings are terrible and you should feel bad

even my clownfish has better settings
FieryLight
Anything with decimals is probably interpolated (prediction). Raw input kills software acceleration and the Razer Deathadder does not have Hardware acceleration (unless you turned it on, though I don't know if you even can because I don't have a DA). I suggest you do 800 DPI + 1.0 Sensitivity. Also, consider getting non-Razer peripherals, they tend to break easily =/
Topic Starter
casool

B1rd wrote:

you can use the arrow keys you know.
Thanks

winber1 wrote:

your settings are terrible and you should feel bad

even my clownfish has better settings
I don't :lol:

Your post is terrible and you should feel terrible, even my dog can post better

FieryLight wrote:

Anything with decimals is probably interpolated (prediction). Raw input kills software acceleration and the Razer Deathadder does not have Hardware acceleration (unless you turned it on, though I don't know if you even can because I don't have a DA). I suggest you do 800 DPI + 1.0 Sensitivity. Also, consider getting non-Razer peripherals, they tend to break easily =/
Razer Synapse has a slider for acceleration.

And I haven't ever had problems with my mouse and it's been through a lot more wear and tear than the average player.
x_Co0ki420ezi_x
Top mouse players use almost exclusively <800 dpi. Then there's dungeon who plays with 1200 or something. For me anything above 600 feels too fast. tldr it's all down to preference.
ZenithPhantasm
Try using your mouse's native dpi steps. If you don't know what they are please refer to Google.
FieryLight

thedamntrain wrote:

Top mouse players use almost exclusively <800 dpi. Then there's dungeon who plays with 1200 or something. For me anything above 600 feels too fast. tldr it's all down to preference.
Ummm, what?

Most top mouse players do not play exclusively less than 800 DPI, they generally play at 800 DPI. Dungeon played primarily with tablet. The currently highest ranking mouse player plays with a mouse that has 2000 DPI.
winber1

casool wrote:

it probably can :(

B-) B-)
Topic Starter
casool

winber1 wrote:

casool wrote:

B-) B-)
top edge
Bauxe

winber1 wrote:

casool wrote:

B-) B-)
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
[Kanzaki Ranko]

thedamntrain wrote:

Didn't azuraer play 2000?
ZenithPhantasm

FieryLight wrote:

thedamntrain wrote:

Ummm, what?

Most top mouse players do not play exclusively less than 800 DPI, they generally play at 800 DPI. Dungeon played primarily with tablet. The currently highest ranking mouse player plays with a mouse that has 2000 DPI.
Im pretty sure CptnXn plays at 400 dpi lol.
FieryLight

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Im pretty sure CptnXn plays at 400 dpi lol.
Yeah, so does Kriers and so do some other really good mouse players, but I wouldn't say it's accurate to say that all top mouse players do. Quite a number of them use 800 DPI or above