forum

[Archived] Issues with Latest Cutting-edge Build (Post Here)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Tom94

anember wrote:

I have a laptop with an i7-4700HQ plus GTX 850M combo, meaning Optimus with all its benefits and problems.

When I first installed osu, after a bit of fiddling with the settings I found that fullscreen mode running on the dedicated gpu results in what I perceived as no cursor latency. I'd love to use borderless like in virtually every other game I play but that causes a slight but noticeable delay.

Now when I tried out the cutting edge build (b20150825.10) I noticed that the familiar "slight but noticeable delay" is there in both fullscreen and borderless modes.

Long story short, I made a table showing perceived and reported latencies for every setting combination. When you look at the table you'll notice that I found the combination I'll be using when OpenGL hits stable but I thought you guys might use this to figure something out as I've already found a couple posts mentioning similar issues.
If nothing else, adding a note that integrated gpus have a potentially lower latency in such scenarios (as Tom94 seems to be aware) might be helpful.

The table

All tests are done on a clean install of Windows 10, default settings in both Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers, the laptop was plugged in, no fps limit in osu.

Perceived latency is a number on an arbitrary scale where 0 is the least latency I ever experienced in osu. A number larger than 2 would be what feels like more than 100ms latency like I was experiencing in CuttingEdge-Integrated-Borderless main menu. I wish there was a proper way to measure this.

FPS was measured on the offset wizard map because it's the only map where it was relatively stable.

What puzzles me is the large difference in performance in fullscreen and borderless modes as well as the better performance of the integrated gpu in the cutting edge build.
We did many significant improvements @ cuttingedge, so the large FPS gain is to be expected. Unfortunately NVidia optimus doesn't seem to like OpenGL to the extent, that fullscreen mode doesn't actually work when using the dedicated card. You are 100%ly correct with noticing that there is no difference between fullscreen and borderless using your discrete GPU.

Luckily since the FPS is now so high with pretty much all integrated GPUs, there is no reason not to use it, save power, battery life and heat, and still enjoy osu! to its fullest. :)

We are still trying to get fullscreen to work via the compatibility mode option, but without it fullscreen will probably never happen.

PS: The delay you are noticing has nothing to do with optimus. It's good old windows itself. Fullscreen is the only way to get rid of it, unless you are using windows 7 or earlier.
Tom94

NeVe12p4wNeD wrote:

Whenever I use the Default skin on any map (more details coming up as I experiment on this more) osu! seems to freezes so far into the map and crashes.

Tried with nomod, RL, RL+HD, AP. Heck even Auto crashes. Also tried on Ranked, Unranked and even Not Submitted maps.

Video coming up in a bit.

Sound replaced for privacy stuff. Plus nobody likes to watch a cooking show without the cooking, right?

cuttingedge b20150826.10
Could you please first check if your drivers are up to date? Please also upload your gl_info.txt found in your osu! folder and tell us your hardware, so we can look further into the issue.
O2MasterFX

Trosk- wrote:

O2MasterFX wrote:

keycount bind overrides the shortcut for clearing all mods.
I guess that's intended. Read the changelog. https://osu.ppy.sh/p/changelog

Changelog wrote:

Mod Select: [TheVileOne] Give 1K-3K and 9K mod shortcuts.
Maybe you don't understand.

When on mania game mode and entering the mods menu, the shortcuts for "reset mods" and "close" button are not working, instead overrided with the shortcuts for keycount mods.
Trosk-
If you are meaning that the 1 and 2 keys doesn't work now to Reset mods and Close:

Trosk- wrote:

O2MasterFX wrote:

keycount bind overrides the shortcut for clearing all mods.
I guess that's intended. Read the changelog. https://osu.ppy.sh/p/changelog

Changelog wrote:

Mod Select: [TheVileOne] Give 1K-3K and 9K mod shortcuts.
1 and 2 keys are now for 1K and 2K mods.
O2MasterFX
Let's see what VileOne think about this... but I'm really sure it's not tho.
anember

Tom94 wrote:

You are 100%ly correct with noticing that there is no difference between fullscreen and borderless using your discrete GPU.
That isn't true though, you might have been comparing the wrong rows. FPS in fullscreen is half of the one in borderless when using the dedicated gpu.

Tom94 wrote:

Luckily since the FPS is now so high with pretty much all integrated GPUs, there is no reason not to use it, save power, battery life and heat, and still enjoy osu! to its fullest. :)
I believed that myself too until I now tried playing a storyboard heavy map like Blu just now, my fps dipped to 100 and I started feeling the same delay I feel in the menu where the fps is in the same region.
That makes little sense considering that the monitor is 60hz.

Tom94 wrote:

We are still trying to get fullscreen to work via the compatibility mode option, but without it fullscreen will probably never happen.
Compatibility mode does indeed cause there to be no difference between fullscreen and borderless at about 800fps when using the dedicated gpu. The delay is there though.
Tom94
Interesting to hear, that there is some difference between fullscreen and borderless using the discrete card. Nonetheless it's buggy, as you said, since the FPS most definitely shouldn't drop like that. I don't have any solution to give you for that right now, though. :x
anember
I'll probably take a deeper look myself once osu goes open-source. Hopefully soon enough.
There's obviously little that can be done just based on me showing you some numbers.
Timorisu
After the most recent update (b20150827.3cuttingedge) every slider I select while editing has a black box around it. I don't know what could be causing this as some friends of mine have this issue and some don't.

Graphics options if those are of any help:
Trosk-
Seems like it's happening to me too, yes. A black box appears when you select a slider.

Santtu
I'd confirm that too
Haruto
yeah, its happening to me too

also, when playing a map with a Storyboard on it, it always makes osu! crash
example like this newest Qualified map
Trosk-

Haruto- wrote:

also, when playing a map with a Storyboard on it, it always makes osu! crash
example like this newest Qualified map
Could you provide the crashlog? My client didn't crash playing that map with stroyboard on.
Haruto

Trosk- wrote:

Could you provide the crashlog? My client didn't crash playing that map with stroyboard on.
Ehh how to Look at the Crashlog?
Trosk-

Haruto- wrote:

If you are getting a "osu! crashed" window, click on the girl of the image and copy the text.
BanchoBot
Issue(s) in this thread have been addressed by the following changes:
  1. Fix black box around selected sliders. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150827.4cuttingedge.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
Haruto

Trosk- wrote:

Haruto- wrote:

If you are getting a "osu! crashed" window, click on the girl of the image and copy the text.
Oh.
No, there is no "osu! crashed" window, it just suddenly Crash and makes the Client not responding, so i Plug out my PC Battery to restart my PC
Tom94
Do you have your latest graphics card drivers installed? If it renders your entire PC unusable it's probably a driver issue.
A Mystery

Haruto- wrote:

Trosk- wrote:

Oh.
No, there is no "osu! crashed" window, it just suddenly Crash and makes the Client not responding, so i Plug out my PC Battery to restart my PC
Wait what? That escalated quickly
Haruto

Tom94 wrote:

Do you have your latest graphics card drivers installed? If it renders your entire PC unusable it's probably a driver issue.
Yes it is the latest.
and it renders my entire PC too
Tom94
Can you post gl_info.txt from your osu! folder and let me know what kind of PC & graphics card you are using?
Haruto

Tom94 wrote:

Can you post gl_info.txt from your osu! folder and let me know what kind of PC & graphics card you are using?
Sorry for the late reply.
Here's the gl_info
SPOILER
GL Version:                 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2900
GL Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics
GL Shader Language version: 1.20 - Intel Build 8.15.10.2900
GL Vendor: Intel
GL Extensions: GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_NV_blend_square GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_NV_conditional_render GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_texture_array GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_texture_snorm GL_INTEL_performance_queries GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_vertex_array_object
GL Context: Index: 8, Color: 32 (8888), Depth: 16, Stencil: 0, Samples: 0, Accum: 64 (16161616), Buffers: 2, Stereo: False
I use Acer Aspire 4738
Currently using Intel HD Graphics (Core i3)
Trosk-

Haruto- wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

Sorry for the late reply.
Here's the gl_info
SPOILER
GL Version:                 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2900
GL Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics
GL Shader Language version: 1.20 - Intel Build 8.15.10.2900
GL Vendor: Intel
GL Extensions: GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_NV_blend_square GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_NV_conditional_render GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_texture_array GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_texture_snorm GL_INTEL_performance_queries GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_vertex_array_object
GL Context: Index: 8, Color: 32 (8888), Depth: 16, Stencil: 0, Samples: 0, Accum: 64 (16161616), Buffers: 2, Stereo: False
I use Acer Aspire 4738
Currently using Intel HD Graphics (Core i3)
Since you are using Intel HD graphics, could you try to enable Compatibility mode and see if it still happens? That option is below FPS limiters.
Haruto

Trosk- wrote:

Since you are using Intel HD graphics, could you try to enable Compatibility mode and see if it still happens? That option is below FPS limiters.
Okay, i'll try
Edit : So i Switch it to Compability Mode, its still Not Responded and Looks like this
I Dont know why this just Affect on that map, but Other Map that has Storyboard too can be Played Fine and Nothing Goes Wrong :( .
NeVMiku

Tom94 wrote:

Could you please first check if your drivers are up to date? Please also upload your gl_info.txt found in your osu! folder and tell us your hardware, so we can look further into the issue.
gl_info.txt

Drivers are not up to date but I had no issue with this on Beta and Stable. They are not up to date because if I install anything more than version 331.28 (nVidia) then there will be artefacts all over my screen. Even the latest one.
OnosakiHito
Not sure in what way you mean by "confirmed" but this problem in taiko gameplay appears when using the cutting edge (in my case b20150827.5cuttingedge). The blackbar disappears when the kiai starts. Doesn't happen on osu!beta or stable.
BanchoBot
  1. Fix scissor rectangle being reset too early in rare cases. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150827.5cuttingedge.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
Inundacion

wtf is this? it appeared when i chanched beta to cutting edge
latest drivers
btw these lines are missing in stable
Gatuto
This happens to me a lot when playing on either cutting edge or beta now, so now I can only play at stable. (happens twice in the video, 0:15 and before the end)

This is what I use
Intel Core i5 4590 @3.30ghz
4gb DDR3 1333mhz (-512mb)
Intel HD Graphics 4600
Osu installed on WD Caviar black 1tb
Windows 7 64b Home Premium installed on Samsung SSD 840 EVO
Tom94

Inundacion wrote:

latest drivers
Just to make sure: It does not happen on the latest beta, right?
Tom94

GaTu wrote:

This happens to me a lot when playing on either cutting edge or beta now, so now I can only play at stable. (happens twice in the video, 0:15 and before the end)

This is what I use
Intel Core i5 4590 @3.30ghz
4gb DDR3 1333mhz (-512mb)
Intel HD Graphics 4600
Osu installed on WD Caviar black 1tb
Windows 7 64b Home Premium installed on Samsung SSD 840 EVO
This seems to me like an issue with your sound drivers. Does using a frame limiter help in any way? Please also update your sound drivers to the latest ones.
BanchoBot
  1. Don't double the color magnitude when using shaders and no FBOs can be used. (Tom94)
  2. Attempt to fix stray line when rendering sliders. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150828cuttingedge.

Gatuto

Tom94 wrote:

This seems to me like an issue with your sound drivers. Does using a frame limiter help in any way? Please also update your sound drivers to the latest ones.
Just tried downloading and installing the latest sound drivers and it keeps doing the same, a frame limiter is not helping either
Inundacion

Tom94 wrote:

Inundacion wrote:

latest drivers
Just to make sure: It does not happen on the latest beta, right?
it happens on the latest beta =(
BanchoBot
  1. Ensure all sprite batches have a size larger than zero. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150828.1cuttingedge.

lemountain
is it me or is pasting (CTRL+V) not working anymore?
When I switch back to beta it works fine.
BanchoBot
  1. Fix OsuDirect audio preview stops watched replay. (WujekGrzyb)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150828.4cuttingedge.

TicClick
After one of updates that happened within the last week (more specifically, 2−5 days ago), osu! stopped handling some Windows-specific shortcuts correctly. Win+D, which usually minimizes all windows and shows the desktop, does nothing now; it only shows taskbar, but osu! window is still present in the background: http://puu.sh/jSOMP/2b11a96d02.jpg.

Win+1..9 (runs a pinned application or activates its window) does exactly the same. I guess the application, which window I call (for example, Google Chrome), is activated correctly, but osu! is still on top of anything (including the window I switched to) for some reason.

It is also worth mentioning that, even when osu! is minimized, it will be automatically restored if a) a new application is launched, or b) any of existing windows is activated.
I'm running osu! in fullscreen mode (or so it says in osu! settings) under Windows 10, but I recall the same thing has been happening in the past when I was on Windows 8/8.1. Build's number is b20150829cuttingedge.
Inundacion

still happens
Jeder
I have problem with sliders on newest build, Cursor snaps to circle and cant pass sliders
show more