[Archived] Issues with Latest Cutting-edge Build (Post Here)

posted
Total Posts
2,521
show more
Trosk-

Tom94 wrote:

Which of the 2 monitors is set as your primary monitor?
The 1920x1080 one.

And with this last update (b20150708cuttingedge) seems like it's fixed, at least for me.
Default
With letterboxing enabled, the cursor will split from its trail iof you move it to the top of the screen.





If you move it to the bottom, you can see the desktop's cursor.
Trosk-

Default wrote:

With letterboxing enabled, the cursor will split from its trail iof you move it to the top of the screen.

If you move it to the bottom, you can see the desktop's cursor.
Well.. What resolution are you using? I can't replicate any of these this you say. Tried on various resolutions and enabling/disabling FullScreen. (with FullScreen disabled, it is normal to see the cursor, just in case.)
reinaertdevos
Going to the editor changes my desktop resolution to the osu! one (because the editor is not full screen). It restores after leaving the windowed song select (coming from the editor)
Some things like the numbers inside the circles will appear larger and different font (?) in the editor, as if I'm playing at a very low resolution. The editor also looks blurry (but that's normal with a lower resolution, it just looks more blurry than when not in the editor while still playing at 1280x800)

Also, I can't find the post back (it's somewhere in this thread), but the issue of things like closing an application and the resolution randomly changing to the osu! one after that is still occuring.

Some screenshots



Editor



Editor testing mode



Grid does not appear in the timing tab, not sure if this is intended. But as you can see, things like "timing setup panel" look very blurry, but I'm not sure if this is normal in windowed mode compared to full screen (both same resolutions)
Default

Trosk- wrote:

Default wrote:

With letterboxing enabled, the cursor will split from its trail iof you move it to the top of the screen.

If you move it to the bottom, you can see the desktop's cursor.
Well.. What resolution are you using? I can't replicate any of these this you say. Tried on various resolutions and enabling/disabling FullScreen. (with FullScreen disabled, it is normal to see the cursor, just in case.)
Fullscreen is enabled, 1180x617. I can upload a video if necessary.

Trosk-

Default wrote:

Fullscreen is enabled, 1180x617. I can upload a video if necessary.

You could have said before you are using a custo resolution ;_;

Seems like this issue only appears when using a Custom Resolution

I can get this effect too.

Edit: Seems like this only happens with some Custom resolutions, not all, I'm trying to figure out the reason... It's not because the aspect ratio because I tried to increase the resolution with the same aspect ratio and it doesnt happen anymore.

Edit 2: Well, I have been trying some resolutions for a long time, and I only got this result or issue with "HeightFullscreen = 617" (tried with so many different heights, and I only got this with 617, not even with 616 or 618), so, I don't know if it's because of that number in particular, but seems like it...


BanchoBot
Issue(s) in this thread have been addressed by the following changes:
  1. Fix inconsistency with minimization behavior while in the editor and in non-native fullscreen. (Tom94)


The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150708cuttingedge.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
Fredgido
Cutting edge OpenGL is just too heavy on cpu. I get half the fps ingame, 40-50 GL vs 80-90 DX. It is just limited by my cpu, on DX I get gpu utilization of 40% vs 20% on GL ingame.
The time plot of draw step is helpful, found out normal skins animation are too (cpu?) heavy, GL calls too heavy? Is vertex data even being buffered? Look at the comparison. Normal skin while playing is 40-50 fps, other skins are 70-80 fps.
osu skin vs other skin https://jii.moe/EJwEMS8u.png
effects kill the cpu https://jii.moe/4kw4zrU_.png


Have you looked on soft pagefaults? It is hitting too many here. Normally pagefaults are the main cause of stutter. DX osu hits 5 playing a replay
(video showing page faults per refresh DX) https://jii.moe/4yBIqrLd.mp4
but open GL hits 250 playing the same replay... what cpu cache do you guys have to not notice the stutter
(video showing page faults per refresh GL) https://jii.moe/NJzIcSId.mp4

Looks like I cannot move to the new version on my old laptop. I tried cutting on everything that consumes cpu on windows and it isn't enough. Maybe the new version is more gpu efficient but there is no point in that if the gpu doesn't even need to turbo because cpu is such bottleneck.
Tom94
Page faults don't have anything to do with CPU cache but with your RAM. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault I'd be curious what kind of results you'd get if you'd set your virtual memory's size to 0 (assuming you can close enough background applications for RAM size not to become an issue).

Yes, not all vertex data is buffered. The difference between the default skin and custom skins you are noticing are the small, blue, particles appearing with every hit. We do plan on buffering these. We are currently rewriting a huge portion of the rendering infrastructure to allow for easier optimizations like that in the future.

What kind of CPU do you have? I haven't heard of anyone where the CPU would be the bottleneck. Even without vertex buffering osu! just doesn't have many vertices in the first place. I am baffled that you are getting CPU capped at all.
Fredgido

Tom94 wrote:

Page faults don't have anything to do with CPU cache but with your RAM. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault I'd be curious what kind of results you'd get if you'd set your virtual memory's size to 0 (assuming you can close enough background applications for RAM size not to become an issue).
Windows task manager counts soft ones too. Yes they are orders of magnitude faster than hard ones but they affect or are symptoms of cpu performance problems. I went to my barebones windows profile to test it with the lowest ram utilization (no shitty windows services or background tasks), didn't get any hard fault ingame. Normally with nothing on the background windows copies everything that is needed to the RAM.
The cpu is a celeron m from 2008~
Drayne
I realized, if I play on cutting edge I get frame drops over and over again. I play, framerate is fine at 800 or something and then suddenly it drops really low for just one second, then it's normal again, then it drops again... It seems like it's happening especially if I play doubletime. My computer is old, but i never had this on stable version.
VeilStar
When selecting a different release stream (such as beta) and then selecting another release stream (such as stable) the game crashes, downloads some files, and then puts you on the release stream you were on before. I think I've posted this before but I can't (be arsed to) find it right now.
Rainbowdashie10
once I tried changing back to stabe (as a test) Osu! won't go back to stable but to let you know Osu cutting edge is pretty nice
power007
Just curious... why when I play other games on my discrete GT740m they use my video card on full and not touch integrated video card? While in osu! it working a bit strange... 40% of integrated video usage and 70% of discrete....

peppy
What happens if you switch to full-screen? Looks like one of your cards is being used for windows-level rendering, while the other is being used by the game?
power007

peppy wrote:

What happens if you switch to full-screen? Looks like one of your cards is being used for windows-level rendering, while the other is being used by the game?
Same deal. Just more usage of both GPU's. Also this problem is not related to the OpenGL or DirectX and has existed since the beginning of time ... Osu! can not decide which GPU to use. On the GPU, which is weaker than 740m - 1000 fps, and 740m - 500 fps. I think just because of that. Btw, if you're using integrated video, usage of discrete video obvious is - 0, and with intergrated video I got 500-900 fps, while with 740m only 500 max.

Tom94
Does your screen flicker black when enabling and disabling fullscreen?
power007

Tom94 wrote:

Does your screen flicker black when enabling and disabling fullscreen?
Yes. I'm 100% sure that full screen mode changes nothing in terms of using both GPUs. Only fps drops from 500+ to 300+
Default

Trosk- wrote:

Edit 2: Well, I have been trying some resolutions for a long time, and I only got this result or issue with "HeightFullscreen = 617" (tried with so many different heights, and I only got this with 617, not even with 616 or 618), so, I don't know if it's because of that number in particular, but seems like it...
It's true, what was the chance of me using just that resolution tho :?
Tom94

power007 wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

Does your screen flicker black when enabling and disabling fullscreen?
Yes. I'm 100% sure that full screen mode changes nothing in terms of using both GPUs. Only fps drops from 500+ to 300+
Did you already try enforcing your dedicated GPU in the nvidia control panel? Here is a video explaining exactly how to do it:
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply