forum

[Archived] Issues with Latest Cutting-edge Build (Post Here)

posted
Total Posts
show more
MegaApple_Pi

Hofstee wrote:

Problem Details:
After reloading [the same skin] several times the skin begins to incorrectly render graphical elements, eventually leading to an unplayable osu! complaining about errors. osu! memory usage also goes up every time the skin reloads. Possibly an issue about garbage collection/failure to free previous elements from memory?

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
mspaint/windows/puu.sh hates me and wont let me paste screenshots. sorry.

osu! version: 20150605cuttingedge

Also taiko graphics are misaligned with certain skins.
SPOILER
Skinning (well kinda):
I doubt this is repeatable via another person but if you use CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + S you get, of course, the "Skin Reloaded." (yay)
- if you do it correctly* (or enough times), you could mess up all of osu!'s images
- I tried this on stable and it took too long for me to actually get it to work :p
-- *correctly = CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + S (as many times as you think) >>> enter a map >>> leave >>> repeat.
This is what I assume on what you meant :p

-- If I try to play a level, rarely it passes on and allows me to play OR it'll give me the generic "oh no!"
By the way, this was how I did it anyways,
CAUTION: the objects in the video will FLICKER (or be jumpy)
VeilStar
About that skin reload issue: while I can't seem to replicate it, it reminds me of a different 'issue' I 'discovered' a few days ago.
If you have a lot (38k for me) of beatmaps and set it to no grouping and sort by difficulty, if you hold the right mouse button and scroll trough the songs list from top to bottom repeatedly osu! will have a hard time keeping up.
Your framerate will start to go lower and lower, and eventually be horrible, the game will start to stutter, eventually get audio looping issues, and at one point render many things incorrectly.
If you keep doing this for a little bit longer it eventually crashes (well, the game just closes without a trace).
The event viewer showed many 'out of memory' warnings.

Sounds like a very similar out of memory issue to me.
MegaApple_Pi

VeilStar wrote:

About that skin reload issue: while I can't seem to replicate it, it reminds me of a different 'issue' I 'discovered' a few days ago.
If you have a lot (38k for me) of beatmaps and set it to no grouping and sort by difficulty, if you hold the right mouse button and scroll trough the songs list from top to bottom repeatedly osu! will have a hard time keeping up.
Your framerate will start to go lower and lower, and eventually be horrible, the game will start to stutter, eventually get audio looping issues, and at one point render many things incorrectly.
If you keep doing this for a little bit longer it eventually crashes (well, the game just closes without a trace).
The event viewer showed many 'out of memory' warnings.

Sounds like a very similar out of memory issue to me.
Dat 38k --- XD I gotta get more maps!
Ya, originally I just assumed it was a memory type of thing rather than osu!'s problem.
But strangely enough, on my end, I couldn't get it to work with stable (or it just took too long for it to occur)
VeilStar

123MegaApple123 wrote:

strangely enough, on my end, I couldn't get it to work with stable (or it just took too long for it to occur)
Well, it doesn't use the new OpenGL implementation. That's probably why.

Just posting this here while I'm at it.

Logs and stuff.
The NVIDIA OpenGL driver has encountered an out of memory error. This application might behave inconsistently and fail. (stop logging every single event of this type because there are too many)

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: AppHangTransient
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: osu!.exe
P2: 1.3.3.7
P3: 557115d0
P4: unknown
P5: unknown
P6: unknown
P7: unknown
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
Removed this line. If the file could be any useful to you devs just PM me.

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 5c4717e4-0bbb-11e5-95f0-6c626d45738a
Report Status: 1

I also tried to record a video of, but Dxtory seemed to give up recording before it reached rendering issues.
I could record it with OBS if needed, but I think it'll be pretty useless.

Pictures and stuff.

For the RAM usage graph; The left side till about half way is without osu! running. The slight increase is osu! running, and when it suddenly spikes up and then keeps going up is when 'abusing' osu! trough song selection scrolling.
abraker
I'll add my side to Veilstar's posts

EDIT: Finally managed to crash it!

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: osu!.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.3.3.7
Problem Signature 03: 556c0b86
Problem Signature 04: System
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30319.34239
Problem Signature 06: 53e4531e
Problem Signature 07: 1c7d
Problem Signature 08: 27
Problem Signature 09: System.OutOfMemoryException
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7803
Additional Information 2: 7803b6ffbd323f34cda379c616a0e8e3
Additional Information 3: fae4
Additional Information 4: fae43f55893e687b7ac3441d4539ef1f

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: osu!.exe
Application Version: 1.3.3.7
Application Timestamp: 556c0b86
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.3.9600.17278
Fault Module Timestamp: 53eeb460
Exception Code: c000041d
Exception Offset: 00012f71
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 212b
Additional Information 2: 212b5d9857e2bbf192e35ccdb501ee60
Additional Information 3: 1615
Additional Information 4: 1615d3eac6fc21c4762ce30738ceba7f
Top Bunk
I'm not positive if this is an issue with cutting edge or just a freak error that occurred (I apologize if it's just the latter). And this is probably pointless to post about since it's I guess self-fixable in the end. But normally the game auto-updates before actually starting, and this time it didn't, even though the main menu said there was a new version once it started up. And when it booted up, all my settings were defaulted and I wasn't even logged in, even though I've always had it saved to keep me logged in. I thought logging in and updating myself would fix it, but it didn't. I just decided to re-set all my settings how I liked it and continued on.

I started playing a multiplayer game and once it came to my turn to pick a song, I went into the song select and it suddenly started maintenance. Except that it froze part way and I didn't want to keep the other guys waiting, so I x'd out of the maintenance popup and suddenly everything got extremely laggy. I decided to restart my game, and all my settings defaulted again. So that annoyed me quite a bit and I'm still not sure why it did that.

I was able to replicate the maintenance popup, but I let it run through longer this time to finish (even though the game was already fully updated, so I'm not sure why it would even need to do this).

It also seems to have caused all the beatmaps to become set as "unplayed".
FrzR
smoogipooo sent me an in-game pm to check if there are any fixes about the cursor issue.
Still happens right now. :<

Asa_old_1
Edit: Wasn't an actual bug. Disregard this post.
BanchoBot
Issue(s) in this thread have been addressed by the following changes:
  1. Attempt to fix cursor/background disappearing. (smoogipooo)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150607cuttingedge.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
OsuMe65

Missing cursor still persists when cursormiddle.png is present. If cursormiddle.png is removed, cursor and cursortrail remains.
(b20150607.2 cuttingedge)
smoogipoo
@OsuMe65: Please post your computer specs.
OsuMe65
As of present.
smoogipoo
I need your GPU details in particular.
OsuMe65
BanchoBot
  1. Free memory occupied by not visible panels to prevent excessive memory consumption under certain cases. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150607.2cuttingedge.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
MegaApple_Pi
This probably is just on my end... but once again, only occurred in osu!cuttingedge.
When I use boss key (press [insert] to hide osu!, or that was what I assume on what it was for)
- My computer freezes for a moment (trying to figure out what happened) then
- "Desktop Window Manager" stops working (as my computer says).
- osu! crashes
Then again, nothing bad really happens but I just can't hide osu! And it probably what VeilStar wrote...

VeilStar wrote:

Well, it doesn't use the new OpenGL implementation. That's probably why.
BanchoBot
  1. Fix severe performance degradation under certain hardware, most notably intel integrated graphics. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150609.26cuttingedge.

abraker
Fix severe performance degradation under certain hardware, most notably intel integrated graphics. (Tom94)
300% FPS increase (~50 FPS -> ~150 FPS). Thanks Tom for taming the swapbuffer! The FPS peaks at around 400 when nothing is displayed and the lowest FPS I'm getting (under intense conditions) is around 75 FPS

Centipede has issues though, but I guess that's not of high enough priority to worry about.

The performance issues specified here issue with "draw" are applicable to CE as well.
Ookami
I've been having issues clicking for several updates now (Current b20150610.3), where the click ripple effect shows, but I need to repeatedly click before I get a response. (Changing between chat tabs, starting games, etc.)

I don't see any reason why it would be on my end, but if there's any way I can confirm, I'll do it.
Tom94

Ookami wrote:

I've been having issues clicking for several updates now (Current b20150610.3), where the click ripple effect shows, but I need to repeatedly click before I get a response. (Changing between chat tabs, starting games, etc.)

I don't see any reason why it would be on my end, but if there's any way I can confirm, I'll do it.
Should be fixed now. Can you confirm?
Ookami

Tom94 wrote:

Ookami wrote:

Should be fixed now. Can you confirm?
Issue seems to be cleared up, I'll check back if I have a problem again.
Enjoi
I've been noticing this for several weeks, ever since I installed Windows 10 (Currently build 10122, haven't tried osu! on the latest)

When playing in windowed mode (any resolution) while using the Beta or Cutting Edge streams, the game canvas seems offset from the top of the window (interestingly, by the height of the window title bar). Seems to also be slightly offset from the left edge.

Doesn't happen in fullscreen or borderless windowed, and doesn't happen in the stable stream when using either DirectX or OpenGL.

Screenshots:
Stable: http://i.imgur.com/4PeG4k2.png
Cutting Edge: http://i.imgur.com/XTizBRt.jpg

Edit: I should add that this could be a problem on Microsoft's end. There was a sort of similar issue in a previous W10 build where maximized windows (notably Chrome/Firefox) would have their tops disappear out of the screen area. Seems MS is having some trouble getting window borders/sizes right, so there's a good chance this is a generic issue and will be fixed (if it's not already) in a later build.

Edit 2: After speaking a bit with @kevlinmannen on twitter, it seems that's happened. He's running the latest Windows build, and can't reproduce the problem.

Might be worth disregarding this whole report.
Score_Under
Since a few days ago this has happened sometimes (uncommonly) while scrolling the beatmap list.
System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException (0x80004005): A generic error occurred in GDI+.
at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData)
at #=qHpiH5MfR2m68SMo4MIMbPUfGAgmjl7qGfXgjQwuH$75cTcnyt$1MqsT5c6WAbTAT.#=qPLisLXDfCEiJlmKsUHbXbClIpvWE7vWYs2Tynhwdd1Q=.#=qe344Kp5JBbOtYYVT0wb_zVS_oaUIrjRATrbnpuzJvm4=()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
On wine-1.7.18-2929-gc27b0fe, d3dstream branch.

The game still plays music, and responds to mouse movement, but doesn't respond to clicks and such. I have a feeling that if the crash dialog wasn't there everything would be fine.
Ortlinde
KnocksFruit
Weird flashing / Render bug? I think it has to do with using OpenGL, because using it on stable build gives same result as the cutting-edge. No problems with DirectX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxOs6f9 ... e=youtu.be
Neqoo
If you use the starlimit for beatmap-displaying and set it to like 3 stars and you open a map with about 5 stars with the osu!direct key on the website and you click ingame on "Go to map" it wont display cause sometimes the easy difficulty from the map is chosen and its under the 3 star limit.. idk.. you could choose the next higher difficulty and if there is no map fitting into the starlimit at the end, a short message like "There is no map fitting into your chosen star limit" would be nice
Tom94

Wheeldance wrote:

Weird flashing / Render bug? I think it has to do with using OpenGL, because using it on stable build gives same result as the cutting-edge. No problems with DirectX.

Are you on the latest graphics drivers for your system? Any steam overlay settings for osu!?
Ortlinde

Wheeldance wrote:

i go to recovery options and change it to DirectX and still gets the problem
VeilStar
Old post.
Can't use the boss key in the song selection screen if there's an update ready.
Edit1: It seems to be unrelated to updates. Once again I can't use the boss key in the song selection screen. No clue why.
Edit2: This seems to happen in more than just the song selection. Multiplayer screen, options menu & charts are also affected.
So to rephrase....

For some reason using the boss key in certain areas doesn't minimize the game to the tray.
This only happens in certain areas such as the song selection screen, options menu, charts screen and the multiplayer screen.
I'm not sure how to replicate it as it 'just happens' after a while.
Once it happens the only thing that gets rid of the issue is restarting the client.

What I did untill I noticed the issue:
  1. Launched osu!.
  2. Use the song selection search to filter down maps
  3. Play a bunch of maps with said filter
  4. Tried to use the boss key and it didn't do anything.
Trosk-

VeilStar wrote:

Can't use the boss key in the song selection screen if there's an update ready.
Weird.. I can.
KnocksFruit

Tom94 wrote:

Wheeldance wrote:

Are you on the latest graphics drivers for your system? Any steam overlay settings for osu!?
Got latest driver updates and no steam overlay
Icicle Fall
When i play on my laptop (haven't tried cutting edge on my desktop), the game stutters every ~10sec when playing a map. Looks kinda like dropped frames on a stream (not a lot though, on ar9, at least, it doesnt even really affect gameplay). Also, during the brief second it takes to switch between which song is selected, its incredibly laggy; looks like its like 5 fps or something. Actual fps of the game remains the same (~200+ with 680m). The exact same happens with both the integrated HD4000 and the 680m.
Tom94

JSTePHN wrote:

When i play on my laptop (haven't tried cutting edge on my desktop), the game stutters every ~10sec when playing a map. Looks kinda like dropped frames on a stream (not a lot though, on ar9, at least, it doesnt even really affect gameplay). Also, during the brief second it takes to switch between which song is selected, its incredibly laggy; looks like its like 5 fps or something. Actual fps of the game remains the same (~200+ with 680m). The exact same happens with both the integrated HD4000 and the 680m.
Does it happen only the first time you select a song? If you only recently installed osu! on your laptop the beatmaps may still need to have their difficulty calculated.
Icicle Fall

Tom94 wrote:

JSTePHN wrote:

Does it happen only the first time you select a song? If you only recently installed osu! on your laptop the beatmaps may still need to have their difficulty calculated.
No, i've been using my laptop exclusively for almost a month now without any problems, so that's definitely not the problem, unless changing to cutting edge counts as recently isntalled. BTW, i forgot to mention, but i have it connected to an external monitor, using both the laptop screen and the monitor (extended). Don't know if that matters, though.

E: typo
Tom94
Does your FPS also go low if you very quickly scroll through song select? (assuming you have a few hundred maps)

Do you also get stutters if you select a map, select another map and then select the original map again?
Icicle Fall

Tom94 wrote:

Does your FPS also go low if you very quickly scroll through song select? (assuming you have a few hundred maps)

Do you also get stutters if you select a map, select another map and then select the original map again?
I have a little over 3k maps. If i choose no grouping and just drag normally, it doesnt affect it much. However if I left-click scroll up and down fairly quickly it drops to around 70-80fps, so nothing too drastic considering the amount of maps (i think).

If i go back and forth between two maps, it does gets a bit smoother than the first time, but even after switching back and forth 20 times or so, it is still noticably 'laggier' than on the stable release.

E: tried left-click scrolling as fast as i possibly could, and the lowest it goes is 65.
Icicle Fall
Just noticed that it actually does not happen when i use the integrated graphics. Only with the 680m. I thought i had checked earlier, but i didnt do it properly... The drivers are updated though.
FinnHallqvist
So 2 problems occur with this version.

1. My normal (stable version) framerate in the menu on unlimited frames is around ~1200. On cutting edge I only have around 800-600 frames per second in the main menu.
2. It stutters really badly when I set it on unlimited and I get this kind of chart.
Edit: Using a R9 290, i7-4770k and newest drivers.
Tom94

FinnHallqvist wrote:

So 2 problems occur with this version.

1. My normal (stable version) framerate in the menu on unlimited frames is around ~1200. On cutting edge I only have around 800-600 frames per second in the main menu.
2. It stutters really badly when I set it on unlimited and I get this kind of chart.
Edit: Using a R9 290, i7-4770k and newest drivers.
Can you try closing all programs you have open in the background to ensure none of them is meddling with opengl? Also, are you using fullscreen or windowed/borderless?
FinnHallqvist

Tom94 wrote:

Can you try closing all programs you have open in the background to ensure none of them is meddling with opengl? Also, are you using fullscreen or windowed/borderless?
After closing programs:

Stable:
Framerate main menu without music ~1600
Framerate main menu with music ~1200
Framerate song select screen ~1100
Cutting Edge:
Framerate main menu without music ~1200
Framerate main menu with music ~1000
Framerate song select screen ~700

Im using fullscreen 1080p.

I didnt try playing because its too loud atm but I may try tomorrow.
show more