forum

[Archived] Issues with Latest Cutting-edge Build (Post Here)

posted
Total Posts
show more
BanchoBot
Issue(s) in this thread have been addressed by the following changes:
  1. Fix complications with the boss key and custom fullscreen resolutions. (Tom94)
  2. Don't keep the osu! window maximized if it loses focus without having native resolution. (Tom94)
  3. Fix game minimization when clicking links. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150514.13cuttingedge.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
Jetzu
It's nothing huge but sometimes the name panel is disappearing, playing a song/going to main menu fixes it though.

A Mystery
Hello, we (well, tom) fixed the issues with full screen but there are some very small things left I noticed. Sometimes when I open a link in osu!, osu! will alt -tab in the osu! resolution to the desktop (or browser when it already loaded), then go back to osu and then it will alt-tab normally.
EDIT: sometimes it will stay alt-tabbed in the wrong reso

Also when I close an application (like browser) my resolution changes to the resolution of osu! for a sec, then going into osu! and then alt-tabbing back to the desktop with normal resolution. This things occur rarely
Except for that everything is working fine (and even better than before)

EDIT: also when opening an application sometimes it will randomly change the reso and then going back to the native one
stefmmm
i have some realy weird vsync issues here you can see it http://puu.sh/hNt1a/ad8bce01f2.png
Maxe191
I have weird slider issues:

NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT, Windows XP
It just appears with a resolution 1680x1050 (borderless), but the weird behaviour disappears, when I enable the full-screen mode and then disable it.
BanchoBot
  1. Improve behavior of resetting the screen resolution to desktop settings. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150515.1cuttingedge.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
Tom94

A Mystery wrote:

Hello, we (well, tom) fixed the issues with full screen but there are some very small things left I noticed. Sometimes when I open a link in osu!, osu! will alt -tab in the osu! resolution to the desktop (or browser when it already loaded), then go back to osu and then it will alt-tab normally.
EDIT: sometimes it will stay alt-tabbed in the wrong reso

Also when I close an application (like browser) my resolution changes to the resolution of osu! for a sec, then going into osu! and then alt-tabbing back to the desktop with normal resolution. This things occur rarely
Except for that everything is working fine (and even better than before)

EDIT: also when opening an application sometimes it will randomly change the reso and then going back to the native one
Does the latest change resolve any of your issues?
Nabile

TheVileOne wrote:

• Current, known issues.

osu! does not ignore sleep states. (Uncertain if this is fixable.)
Just did a quick Google search and it is indeed fixable, by using the WinAPI function SetThreadExecutionState (although this solution isn't cross-platform, sadly).
Here's a Stack Overflow answer along with an example.

Also:

Informations sur l'exception : System.AccessViolationException
Pile :
à dje_qT4JAE64656U6F7528URAXMA26UYKDPWAABJCS9TLJUAJNSSKSQVDASD9DPCSB332DLAZXSCC7TQTS_ejd.#=qTthyAwhbVYKQRhI8YC3k2CuNM_CZCcRsO723n3ynWkE=(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32 ByRef, IntPtr, Int32)
à #=qm1o9DdUVXTCoKeydpsuP2CEiKyvPbQ_mY3$xbPKKKsBABPA7I2t74RGwjaeP1Vsv.#=qV8ht6i3lzuUmDWnneIBInw==()
à System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
à System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
à System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
à System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
à System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

(Fails in avcodec-51.dll)
This is the stack trace from crashes related to video backgrounds (hoping it is okay to post about video backgrounds, as it was previously discussed but no stack trace was provided. By the way, YouTube finally got around to convert this impressive 4 MB demonstration video ... and lost 30 FPS along the way. God damn.).

A Mystery

Tom94 wrote:

Does the latest change resolve any of your issues?
Will test this out today. Since this doesn't happen often, I'll keep track and edit this post when I noticed something

EDIT: The issues are not gone, I'm still having the random resolution changes (all of the issues I posted)

Also: I'm having a terrible framerate in the editor and I can't leave the editor with my cursor (because the confine mouse option is turned on).
Is the second thing intentional? (if it is, pretty weird because the editor isn't full screen)
Zerokae
With the new build my cursor has been lagging behind significantly more than ever before, and when i try to select options my game crashes.
DeletedUser_4329079

Zerokae wrote:

With the new build my cursor has been lagging behind significantly more than ever before, and when i try to select options my game crashes.
I'm also getting a lot of cursor lag
Arnold0

Default wrote:

Zerokae wrote:

I'm also getting a lot of cursor lag
As I said like 20~ days ago :

Arnold0 wrote:

EDIT :

Okey, so I found something about the performance issue... It's actualy caused by a system file of windows 8 called dwm.exe which seem to be used by windows aero. Using some process manager, I suspended winlogon and killed dwm.exe. Windows was not realy happy about running in this state, however the cutting edge build had no input lag anymore and after a few lag spikes it ran at constant 300 fps like the normal build runs on fullscreen... To be sure it was not placebo effect, I unsuspended winlogon which instantly restarted dwm, and the input delay and micro lags were back...
Without disabling DWM.exe, that input lag is still here as of now, and if "true" fullscreen mode doesn't come back then it will be a very huge issue for windows 8 users... Not every one will have the knowlege to disable dwm and when dwm is disabled, windows is verry buggy... and I did read that open GL only on stable will be in ~ 2 weeks in another thread...
Shizuyi
I got some huge performance issues too, including cursor lag.

But lets be honest: Do you really want to kill a application running from windows to get a game running smooth even if it shoudl without doing so? i dont think so
Tom94

Arnold0 wrote:

Without disabling DWM.exe, that input lag is still here as of now, and if "true" fullscreen mode doesn't come back then it will be a very huge issue for windows 8 users... Not every one will have the knowlege to disable dwm and when dwm is disabled, windows is verry buggy... and I did read that open GL only on stable will be in ~ 2 weeks in another thread...
Are you by any chance running on a laptop which has both intel integrated graphics and a graphics card? If so try running osu! through your integrated graphics and please let me know if exclusive fullscreen then works.

I don't know of any other setups causing exclusive fullscreen not to work on the latest cutting edge build.
BanchoBot
  1. Prevent windows from going idle while the osu! window is active. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150515.4cuttingedge.

BanchoBot
  1. Don't confine mouse to window while osu! is not in exclusive fullscreen. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150516cuttingedge.

Arnold0

Tom94 wrote:

Arnold0 wrote:

Are you by any chance running on a laptop which has both intel integrated graphics and a graphics card? If so try running osu! through your integrated graphics and please let me know if exclusive fullscreen then works.

I don't know of any other setups causing exclusive fullscreen not to work on the latest cutting edge build.
Uh... Before it changed nothing but now, fullscreen works with intergrated intel (And does not with nVidia card).
However it have a huge performance drawback versus directX builds. With the Stable build on directX it is almost always at around 270-300fps with intergrated intel card. Here it is far worse. On map selection screen it's 100-130ish, when playing it's arround 180ish... On breaks when there is nothing but the BG and score on the screen it dosn't even hit the 300's which is the limiter I did set.
And it's not the worse thing... If I try to record with OBS... My FPS drops to... 11-12FPS :<

Also I had a bug, I was in fullscreen and went back to borderless to see how it would react and this happened :

(Sliders had no track)

EDIT :
The OBS dropping FPS to 10-20 only seem to happen on native 1920*1080 resolution. Guess I'll have to play on lowered resolution.
Tom94
We did many fixes within the last few days, so it's likely that previously when you tested a lot more was broken than it is now.

The issue is (to my knowledge) that it is impossible to get openGL exclusive fullscreen working when the desktop is rendered using a different graphics driver than the game. If there is a possibility to circumvent this I'd be more than happy to implement it. Even OpenGL-only games such as Quake 3 don't manage to go into exclusive fullscreen mode under those circumstances.

Which processor do you have? On my intel integrated device I get only ~10% lower FPS when using opengl over directx.

Regarding the sliders, we will look into it. Thanks for the report!
formi
Just tried osu!cutting edge b20150516.
This makes streaming osu! pretty much impossible!
Even without game capture the game lags like crazy.

One thing i noticed is that osu! requires a lot more CPU power with the update.
(around +300% CPU usage)
It doesn't max out the CPU at all but it still drops to ~160fps without a limiter.

Another problem was tabbing back into the game:
The previous active window was still in front of the game while tabbed into osu!
Had to minimize that window to make it disappear ingame.

Running osu! in windowed mode.
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5GHz
GPU: AMD HD7870, driver: 14.501.1003 (OpenGL 6.14.10.13283)
.NET: 4.5.51209

osu!beta runs just fine, no Problems at all.
Tom94
osu!beta runs the exact same new OpenGL implementation as osu!cuttingedge. Are you sure this is not something at your end? The performance should be absolutely identical.
formi

Tom94 wrote:

osu!beta runs the exact same new OpenGL implementation as osu!cuttingedge. Are you sure this is not something at your end? The performance should be absolutely identical.
Interesting... just wanted to confirm the issue and now cutting-edge runs as good as beta :oops:

cutting-edge didn't want to restart the client after the update, maybe that was the issue there.
Megatron
osu! is overwriting any mouse constraints issued by any other programs. This makes it impossible to play any MOBA with osu! running in the background if you have multiple monitors. This is an issue because I like to use osu! as a music player.

Here is a poorly drawn diagram that I hope illustrates the situation:

If you still can't understand what I'm trying to say try and play a match of Heroes of The Storm with osu! running in a multi monitor configuration.

I have tested the confine mouse option, it does nothing for this issue.
I started a thread for this issue since it was beta and not cutting edge but it was suggested that I post here as well: t/329112
osu! version: 20150514.10beta
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
Turning off raw input should resolve that issue. Raw input forces this behaviour.
Arnold0

Tom94 wrote:

We did many fixes within the last few days, so it's likely that previously when you tested a lot more was broken than it is now.

The issue is (to my knowledge) that it is impossible to get openGL exclusive fullscreen working when the desktop is rendered using a different graphics driver than the game. If there is a possibility to circumvent this I'd be more than happy to implement it. Even OpenGL-only games such as Quake 3 don't manage to go into exclusive fullscreen mode under those circumstances.

Which processor do you have? On my intel integrated device I get only ~10% lower FPS when using opengl over directx.

Regarding the sliders, we will look into it. Thanks for the report!
I have an i7 4702MQ, the integrated intel it have is HD4600.
But the intel chipsets aren't realy ment to run games, even less at 1080p and 300 fps... I'll play at 720p fullscreen until you find a way to make exclusive fullscreen works using the nVidia card with optimus if it's possible :<
Arras
I don't know what the hell happened since the last time I checked, but the performance has absolutely tanked on Cutting Edge. I get a stable 30FPS on the main menu and 70FPS in song select or ingame (on a song with no storyboard or video). It used to be closer to 100 for the main menu, 120 for song select and ~180 ingame or something. That was a few days ago, on Cutting Edge (so also only OpenGL).
Tom94

Arras wrote:

I don't know what the hell happened since the last time I checked, but the performance has absolutely tanked on Cutting Edge. I get a stable 30FPS on the main menu and 70FPS in song select or ingame (on a song with no storyboard or video). It used to be closer to 100 for the main menu, 120 for song select and ~180 ingame or something. That was a few days ago, on Cutting Edge (so also only OpenGL).
Running on a laptop on batteries by any chance? If yes, try plugging in.

Can you also please name your graphics hardware and check whether you have a file called "gl_info.txt" in your osu! directory? If yes, please paste its contents.
Arras

Tom94 wrote:

Arras wrote:

Running on a laptop on batteries by any chance? If yes, try plugging in.

Can you also please name your graphics hardware and check whether you have a file called "gl_info.txt" in your osu! directory? If yes, please paste its contents.
Running on a plugged in laptop, set to High Performance. Graphics hardware is Intel HD 3000, driver version 9.17.10.3347, and there are no log or txt files of any kind in the osu directory.
Edit: Guess I'll try if there's any driver updates, see if that does anything.
Edit2: As expected, it did nothing. 9.17.10.4101 now, which is the latest version as far as I can tell.
BanchoBot
  1. Fix osu! changing global cursor clipping settings while inactive. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150516.1cuttingedge.

BanchoBot
  1. Fix mouse sensitivity slider bar not updating actual value when dragged. (TheVileOne)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150517cuttingedge.

DeletedUser_4329079
My cursor lag was casued by a problem on my end. Apparently I can't set a higher refresh rate than 60hz if windows is using my native resolution, no matter what resolution I had set on osu! (fullscreen of course). I changed my desktop's resolution and it works fine again. The more you know ^^
Tom94
Actually if you absolutely want your desktop to run at a lower refresh rate you can go into osu!'s config and change "RefreshRate" to whatever refresh rate you desire and "OverrideRefreshRate" to 1. This will only apply to fullscreen.

If a resolution change to the overridden refresh rate fails, e.g. when your graphics card or screen don't support it, osu! will automatically set "OverrideRefreshRate" back to 0.
DeletedUser_4329079
Thanks, I don't really want my desktop to have a lower refresh rate but it's the best I can get without having to use a tiny resolution :(
Tom94
Yep, mainly for this particular use case the config options exist in the first place. Should work with your setup. :)
Rinzee
I need help desperately. I am currently stuck in cutting-edge b20150513.5 and have been ever since updating to it.

Whenever i launch the game this shows up. Note: There is nothing wrong with my internet connection whatsoever.

The only way i can get past this screen and get into the game is by closing this window, which will abort the attempts to update . When i do get into the game and try to switch back to the stable build (or any build at all), it tells me i am unable to switch to another build as the update failed.

What i have already tried to do in order to fix this:

- Make exceptions for osu! and _osu! in my Windows Firewall
- Disable my Anti Virus completely
- Pressing the ''Run osu! Updater'' setting in-game (Only gave me the same screen as in the first image)

The only thing i can think of that would solve this is to do a fresh install of osu! but i reeeaaally don't feel like backing up all my songs and skins.

Is there any way to fix this? :( The cutting edge build is laggy for me and i really want to switch back to stable.
Nabile

xDarkon wrote:

I need help desperately. I am currently stuck in cutting-edge b20150513.5 and have been ever since updating to it.

Whenever i launch the game this shows up. Note: There is nothing wrong with my internet connection whatsoever.

The only way i can get past this screen and get into the game is by closing this window, which will abort the attempts to update . When i do get into the game and try to switch back to the stable build (or any build at all), it tells me i am unable to switch to another build as the update failed.

What i have already tried to do in order to fix this:

- Make exceptions for osu! and _osu! in my Windows Firewall
- Disable my Anti Virus completely
- Pressing the ''Run osu! Updater'' setting in-game (Only gave me the same screen as in the first image)

The only thing i can think of that would solve this is to do a fresh install of osu! but i reeeaaally don't feel like backing up all my songs and skins.

Is there any way to fix this? :( The cutting edge build is laggy for me and i really want to switch back to stable.
Have you tried holding Shift after the osu! updater closes so that the configuration window pops up and you click on Repair or change the release stream from there ?
Seri

Seri wrote:

Since the 27.04.2015 builds i experience many many microstutters, like one every few seconds. Didn't change anything in my setup.

EDIT: Didn't have any broken sliders since then though C:
Still experiencing this issue, and it seems _index hat it as well since the osu!beta update to OpenGL. He described it with "frameskipping, like 3 or 4 frames every few seconds" in the stream today.

(he uses a GTX970 as well, maybe there is some specific problem to that card? :C )
Rinzee

Nabile wrote:

Have you tried holding Shift after the osu! updater closes so that the configuration window pops up and you click on Repair or change the release stream from there ?
I didn't know this existed before, but i am sad to say even after clicking ''Repair Osu!'' on all the different release streams and graphics settings nothing changed, I am still getting the ''Check your internet connection'' message.
Shizuyi

Seri wrote:

Seri wrote:

Since the 27.04.2015 builds i experience many many microstutters, like one every few seconds. Didn't change anything in my setup.

EDIT: Didn't have any broken sliders since then though C:
Still experiencing this issue, and it seems _index hat it as well since the osu!beta update to OpenGL. He described it with "frameskipping, like 3 or 4 frames every few seconds" in the stream today.

(he uses a GTX970 as well, maybe there is some specific problem to that card? :C )

Im using a GTX 780TI and got the same issues.. Really annoying.
Tom94
Can you try closing all background processes and see whether the issues persist? I also have a GTX 780Ti but experience none of your issues when closing other programs.

Two specific programs that come to my mind are f.lux causing stutters once every second and Teamspeak 3 effectively limiting osu! to 60 fps while it is not minimized (I run things on a 144hz screen).
lolcubes
I experience those stutters as well, but only for the first few minutes.

Otherwise, I can no longer seem to get a stable framerate when using limiters. I set a frame limiter to 1200 (on stable without it it goes up to 6000 fps and really weird things start to happen then) and it jitters between 1120 and 1250 all the time, and that causes some speedups/slowdowns of notes in taiko (almost like a stutter, but more smooth).

GTX970 with the latest drivers here.

edit:
It seems that after a while it no longer jitters that much, but after reaching 1200 limit it sorta drops back to 1130ish and climbs back up to 1200 and this repeats endlessly.

Here's an example: http://puu.sh/hR0HD/e2b42a4dd6.mp4
(first 3 seconds are because of the recording, the rest acts exactly the same like without recording)
show more