forum

[Archived] Issues with Latest Cutting-edge Build (Post Here)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Trosk-
I have 2 monitors, monitor one is 1920x1080 (where I play osu!) and monitor two is 1280x1024. If I'm on FullScreen mode (on Monitor 1) and change to a resolution that is lower than the Monitor 2, it will detect the second monitor resolution as native (even if I am on monitor 1). I need to exit FullScreen mode and activate it again to have the Monitor 1 options available again.

Also, when I changed my resolution back to 1920x1080 (native) and I change to Windowed mode, it will hide the window borders and show it as "Custom" reolution. (Like on Tourney client windows, for example.)

This doesn't happen on Stable, only in Beta and CE.
Tom94
Which of the 2 monitors is set as your primary monitor?
BanchoBot
Issue(s) in this thread have been addressed by the following changes:
  1. Attempt to fix multiple screens causing issues with detected desktop resolutions. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150707cuttingedge.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
Trosk-

Tom94 wrote:

Which of the 2 monitors is set as your primary monitor?
The 1920x1080 one.

And with this last update (b20150708cuttingedge) seems like it's fixed, at least for me.
DeletedUser_4329079
With letterboxing enabled, the cursor will split from its trail iof you move it to the top of the screen.

If you move it to the bottom, you can see the desktop's cursor.
Trosk-

Default wrote:

With letterboxing enabled, the cursor will split from its trail iof you move it to the top of the screen.

Well.. What resolution are you using? I can't replicate any of these this you say. Tried on various resolutions and enabling/disabling FullScreen. (with FullScreen disabled, it is normal to see the cursor, just in case.)
A Mystery
Going to the editor changes my desktop resolution to the osu! one (because the editor is not full screen). It restores after leaving the windowed song select (coming from the editor)
Some things like the numbers inside the circles will appear larger and different font (?) in the editor, as if I'm playing at a very low resolution. The editor also looks blurry (but that's normal with a lower resolution, it just looks more blurry than when not in the editor while still playing at 1280x800)

Also, I can't find the post back (it's somewhere in this thread), but the issue of things like closing an application and the resolution randomly changing to the osu! one after that is still occuring.

Some screenshots

Editor

Editor testing mode

Grid does not appear in the timing tab, not sure if this is intended. But as you can see, things like "timing setup panel" look very blurry, but I'm not sure if this is normal in windowed mode compared to full screen (both same resolutions)
DeletedUser_4329079

Trosk- wrote:

Default wrote:

Well.. What resolution are you using? I can't replicate any of these this you say. Tried on various resolutions and enabling/disabling FullScreen. (with FullScreen disabled, it is normal to see the cursor, just in case.)
Fullscreen is enabled, 1180x617. I can upload a video if necessary.

Trosk-

Default wrote:

Fullscreen is enabled, 1180x617. I can upload a video if necessary.

You could have said before you are using a custo resolution ;_;

Seems like this issue only appears when using a Custom Resolution

I can get this effect too.

Edit: Seems like this only happens with some Custom resolutions, not all, I'm trying to figure out the reason... It's not because the aspect ratio because I tried to increase the resolution with the same aspect ratio and it doesnt happen anymore.

Edit 2: Well, I have been trying some resolutions for a long time, and I only got this result or issue with "HeightFullscreen = 617" (tried with so many different heights, and I only got this with 617, not even with 616 or 618), so, I don't know if it's because of that number in particular, but seems like it...

BanchoBot
  1. Fix inconsistency with minimization behavior while in the editor and in non-native fullscreen. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150708cuttingedge.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
Fredgido
Cutting edge OpenGL is just too heavy on cpu. I get half the fps ingame, 40-50 GL vs 80-90 DX. It is just limited by my cpu, on DX I get gpu utilization of 40% vs 20% on GL ingame.
The time plot of draw step is helpful, found out normal skins animation are too (cpu?) heavy, GL calls too heavy? Is vertex data even being buffered? Look at the comparison. Normal skin while playing is 40-50 fps, other skins are 70-80 fps.
osu skin vs other skin https://jii.moe/EJwEMS8u.png
effects kill the cpu https://jii.moe/4kw4zrU_.png

Have you looked on soft pagefaults? It is hitting too many here. Normally pagefaults are the main cause of stutter. DX osu hits 5 playing a replay
(video showing page faults per refresh DX) https://jii.moe/4yBIqrLd.mp4
but open GL hits 250 playing the same replay... what cpu cache do you guys have to not notice the stutter
(video showing page faults per refresh GL) https://jii.moe/NJzIcSId.mp4

Looks like I cannot move to the new version on my old laptop. I tried cutting on everything that consumes cpu on windows and it isn't enough. Maybe the new version is more gpu efficient but there is no point in that if the gpu doesn't even need to turbo because cpu is such bottleneck.
Tom94
Page faults don't have anything to do with CPU cache but with your RAM. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault I'd be curious what kind of results you'd get if you'd set your virtual memory's size to 0 (assuming you can close enough background applications for RAM size not to become an issue).

Yes, not all vertex data is buffered. The difference between the default skin and custom skins you are noticing are the small, blue, particles appearing with every hit. We do plan on buffering these. We are currently rewriting a huge portion of the rendering infrastructure to allow for easier optimizations like that in the future.

What kind of CPU do you have? I haven't heard of anyone where the CPU would be the bottleneck. Even without vertex buffering osu! just doesn't have many vertices in the first place. I am baffled that you are getting CPU capped at all.
Fredgido

Tom94 wrote:

Page faults don't have anything to do with CPU cache but with your RAM. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault I'd be curious what kind of results you'd get if you'd set your virtual memory's size to 0 (assuming you can close enough background applications for RAM size not to become an issue).
Windows task manager counts soft ones too. Yes they are orders of magnitude faster than hard ones but they affect or are symptoms of cpu performance problems. I went to my barebones windows profile to test it with the lowest ram utilization (no shitty windows services or background tasks), didn't get any hard fault ingame. Normally with nothing on the background windows copies everything that is needed to the RAM.
The cpu is a celeron m from 2008~
Drayne
I realized, if I play on cutting edge I get frame drops over and over again. I play, framerate is fine at 800 or something and then suddenly it drops really low for just one second, then it's normal again, then it drops again... It seems like it's happening especially if I play doubletime. My computer is old, but i never had this on stable version.
VeilStar
When selecting a different release stream (such as beta) and then selecting another release stream (such as stable) the game crashes, downloads some files, and then puts you on the release stream you were on before. I think I've posted this before but I can't (be arsed to) find it right now.
Rainbowdashie10
once I tried changing back to stabe (as a test) Osu! won't go back to stable but to let you know Osu cutting edge is pretty nice
power007
Just curious... why when I play other games on my discrete GT740m they use my video card on full and not touch integrated video card? While in osu! it working a bit strange... 40% of integrated video usage and 70% of discrete....

peppy
What happens if you switch to full-screen? Looks like one of your cards is being used for windows-level rendering, while the other is being used by the game?
power007

peppy wrote:

What happens if you switch to full-screen? Looks like one of your cards is being used for windows-level rendering, while the other is being used by the game?
Same deal. Just more usage of both GPU's. Also this problem is not related to the OpenGL or DirectX and has existed since the beginning of time ... Osu! can not decide which GPU to use. On the GPU, which is weaker than 740m - 1000 fps, and 740m - 500 fps. I think just because of that. Btw, if you're using integrated video, usage of discrete video obvious is - 0, and with intergrated video I got 500-900 fps, while with 740m only 500 max.

Tom94
Does your screen flicker black when enabling and disabling fullscreen?
power007

Tom94 wrote:

Yes. I'm 100% sure that full screen mode changes nothing in terms of using both GPUs. Only fps drops from 500+ to 300+
DeletedUser_4329079

Trosk- wrote:

Edit 2: Well, I have been trying some resolutions for a long time, and I only got this result or issue with "HeightFullscreen = 617" (tried with so many different heights, and I only got this with 617, not even with 616 or 618), so, I don't know if it's because of that number in particular, but seems like it...
It's true, what was the chance of me using just that resolution tho :?
Tom94

power007 wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

Yes. I'm 100% sure that full screen mode changes nothing in terms of using both GPUs. Only fps drops from 500+ to 300+
Did you already try enforcing your dedicated GPU in the nvidia control panel? Here is a video explaining exactly how to do it:
power007

Tom94 wrote:

Did you already try enforcing your dedicated GPU in the nvidia control panel?
Yes I've tried. Identical behavior of osu!. For example Borderland 2 using 7-10% of Intel GPU and 99% of NVidia GPU.
DeletedUser_4329079
In the editor, clicking on the song setup tab while in fullscreen mode makes the game lag and it sends me to desktop. Windowed mode fixes it.
bobbybobsenpwned
While on cutting edge (or beta) I can't alt-tab out of the game. It seems as if I actually do switch to another window, when i do so, but the image from osu persists and prevents me from seeing the other window i've switched too. The problem exists both when in fullscreen, or borderless

It seems the problem is only there, when I use my max resolution (1600x900), or have letterboxing activated.

My computer is a laptop, ASUS N76VJ, with windows 8.1, And here's the specs I could find about my computer
GhostFrog
I have the "Prefer no-video downloads" option selected, but osu!direct is still downloading videos by default. I've only tried it with 2 maps that have video (this and this, in case it matters), but it definitely downloaded the video for both.
BanchoBot
  1. Never minimize osu! while in the editor due to issues with child forms. (Tom94)
  2. Fix viewport being 1 pixel off while in forced non-exclusive fullscreen mode. (Tom94)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150709cuttingedge.

Drayne

Drayyne wrote:

I realized, if I play on cutting edge I get frame drops over and over again. I play, framerate is fine at 800 or something and then suddenly it drops really low for just one second, then it's normal again, then it drops again... It seems like it's happening especially if I play doubletime. My computer is old, but i never had this on stable version.
Just found out that the framedrops are gone if I restart osu!. But they are cooming back after 10-20 minutes playtime
Tom94
Can you make sure your system is not overheating and throttling down as a consequence? This is likely in case you are running on a laptop. Try using a frame limiter to reduce your framerate and see if the drops are still as severe.

If this doesn't help, please try closing all background applications while playing osu!.
Drayne

Tom94 wrote:

Can you make sure your system is not overheating and throttling down as a consequence? This is likely in case you are running on a laptop. Try using a frame limiter to reduce your framerate and see if the drops are still as severe.

If this doesn't help, please try closing all background applications while playing osu!.
I don't play on a laptop and my system is not overheating. I tried to cap fps, but it didn't help. Also closed all background applications, still didn't help. But as I said i a previous post, osu! ran perfectly fine on stable version.
Tom94
Comparing it with stable is not valid in the case of throttling. CE makes more use of the GPU, usually resulting in higher temperatures, but also higher frame rates.

Either way, if you can rule out heat and throttling (this can also happen on desktops), then could you make a screenshot of how the frame time display looks like during the stutters and without stutters for you? You can toggle the display using Ctrl+F11.
Trosk-
If you move the osu! window while it is on the welcome screen, the menu-background of the skin won't load. This gets fixed by reloading the skin.

Doesn't happen on Stable release stream.

Drayne

Tom94 wrote:

Comparing it with stable is not valid in the case of throttling. CE makes more use of the GPU, usually resulting in higher temperatures, but also higher frame rates.

Either way, if you can rule out heat and throttling (this can also happen on desktops), then could you make a screenshot of how the frame time display looks like during the stutters and without stutters for you? You can toggle the display using Ctrl+F11.
Ok, osu! is running good again, the problem was that my computer couldnt handle some storyboard stuff (the framedrops I mentioned just happened again, disabled storyboard and it worked). But I noticed, that if I move my cursor fast the cursor is flickering. Not really a big problem, just wanted to say it.
Tom94
What do you mean by flicker? Tearing? It happens both on stable and on cuttingedge if you are running in fullscreen mode or have windows aero disabled while not using VSync. There is no way around it unfortunately.
Drayne

Tom94 wrote:

What do you mean by flicker? Tearing? It happens both on stable and on cuttingedge if you are running in fullscreen mode or have windows aero disabled while not using VSync. There is no way around it unfortunately.
Yes, ok didn't know that as i used to play on stable in windowed mode and now on CE in letterboxing + fullscreen. Letterboxing is really nice btw, i love it and can't play without it anymore :) So osu! is running fine again, problem solved.
Kuraiko55
Hello folks,

relating to this post I made almost a month ago I was now able to make a video of the issue that appears from time to time when I play osu!.

In short:
Sometimes while playing any map in osu! the game is jerking for a split second, i.e. it is not running smoothly for a little moment most likely throwing me outa the beat and messing up my play.

Video-Link: https://youtu.be/9Tehv34hiPA
I added further information in the video description.

I appolagize in advance if the video and/or sound quality should be bad, for this is the first time I tryed video editing ^^

Greetz
Kuraiko
lolcubes
Having issues with vsync on fullscreen. As you can see, with VSync enabled, the fps don't have a limit at all. Setting 120/240 sets to 120/240 normally.
Using Intel HD4000.

EDIT: woooops forgot the image.
Shizuyi
In the Nvidia Driver you also can disable VSync in the Control Panel of the Driver.
I do not know if this is possible for integrated Graphics. Did you tried that?
Also i am sure you did, when its possible, but i ask just to be sure.
abraker
CE still seems to have memory leak(s) after hours of mapping. I mapped a mania map for 4-5 hours and the mem usage rose from ~450 mb to 1.2 gb. The client risks being unusable if you decide to play without restarting beforehand, leading to a black screen with no signs of input or output or even a generic windows crash.
show more