forum

What fps do you run osu in?

posted
Total Posts
show more
I Give Up
Unlimited (gameplay) ~2400fps on a 60hz monitor lel.
Noobsicle
Karuta-_old_1

Full Tablet wrote:

naliem wrote:

60 fps limited with vsync.

My 7950 can push it to almost 2k fps, but it gets hot like hell. I don't see the point of going higher than 60 if your monitor is 60hz.
The fps also affects how the game receives input as well. With 60fps the frequency the game detects input is lower as well:
- The time between you move your mouse/pen tablet, and the game detects the movement, is higher.
- The accuracy the game detects input is lower as well. For example, if with 1000fps (or higher) someone gets in the median case 95%acc in a certain OD10 map, with 60fps he would get ~92.80% accuracy in the median case in the same map, and pressing the keys in the same way (except for compensating for the average extra input latency, if not compensating, the accuracy is even lower). With 120fps the median would be ~94.45%, with 240fps it would be ~94.86%, and with 500fps ~94.97%.

Playing with low fps is a disadvantage overall.
What I am curious is how does he plays all those DT maps with only 60 fps, you'll get cursor lag in every snap
Aka
Rise_old_1

Noobsicle wrote:

I capped mine on 1337 too, just for the heck of it but it works suprisingly well, had not problems so far :P

(Illegal beast scores >:D)
sunako-

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Windowed: 2.4k
Fullscreen: 3.4k
Streaming on Twitch: 1.2k
Antilag.cfg (0 prerendered frames): 0.5k
fml , i only got 800-1900 fps when i playing w/ gtx 980

24inch 144hz fullscreen directx

windows 8.1
Mahogany
I leave it at 120fps because I don't see a point of letting it go any higher.
E m i

Mahoganytooth wrote:

8.3ms input delay
more importantly, variable input delay (0 - 8.3ms).
might affect accuracy? i guess it can cause a 100 but on the other hand it can also make an early click register within the OD time window.
It's a reason but hehe, I use 300.
sayonara_sekai
700. I'd use 600 but for some reason it doesn't hold stable at 600 but does at 700 :?: :?:
Synpoo

Synchrostar wrote:

capped at 420 fps
Gumpy
~1300
Full Tablet

Mahoganytooth wrote:

The game only polls input once per frame, so the timing of the hits is affected by the framerate.

For example, if the fps is 100, the game polls input once every 10ms, so each input can be detected up to 10ms late (in average, 5ms late), and the delay is variable (so it can't be compensated perfectly by pressing keys earlier). This has the effect of requiring the player (or hardware, or drivers) to be more precise in order to achieve the same accuracy when the fps is lower.

An estimation of how much the fps affects accuracy is shown in this table. It shows the average accuracy per circle, for different ODs and fps settings, with a base average accuracy of 95% for the case with infinite fps for each OD. In each column, the Unstable Rate of the inputs of the player is the same (and when reducing the fps, the Unstable Rate increases because of the delay, not because the player hits the keys less precisely)

The calculation assumes that the timing of the hits follows a Normal Distribution, while the delay caused by the limited fps follows an Uniform Distribution; the average value of the distribution in each case is 0ms, so it assumes the player compensates for the average delay by pressing earlier; if the player doesn't compensate, the accuracy values are lower.

In general, the more accurate the player (and his hardware) is, the more noticeable is the effect of the delay caused by low fps.

Another graph to illustrate the model used for the estimation.
Probability distribution

Blue values use 60UR at infinite fps, the orange values show the effect of reducing the fps to 60 (and compensating for the average value change)
Increasing the fps beyond 1000 doesn't increase accuracy, since the game rounds the timing to the nearest millisecond.
otonashi-senpai
Please everyone watch something like Freedom Dive with DT and switch the FPS while the song is playing. Then you will see how big the difference between 120 FPS and Unlimited is.
Mahogany
Okay so basically I'm bad

Got it

Will fix

Thanks for explanations
trebby
I don't know why, but whenever I try to run osu with 120+ fps cap, it lags a lot.
So I have mine capped at 60 fps.

EDIT: I now run osu! in Unlimited (gameplay). It doesn't lag me too much.
Sh0keR
OP do you just SS everything ? 0.0
Topic Starter
Raniemi
Oh wow my post got revived :)

Sh0keR wrote:

OP do you just SS everything ? 0.0
I guess so
Hitorikko
mine is 120 fps
Yuudachi-kun
120 fps because I don't want to set it to 240 and have my fps vary between something like 180-240 all the time.
XgenSlayer
I use 120 FPS since my computer sucks and can only go to 180 if I use Unlimited.
Trauter
Something around 1.700 i guess.
ZenithPhantasm
Anything less than 1000 fps seems to fuck with my aim.
deletemyaccount

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Does higher fps reduce input lag? because my computer can't go over 120 so i've never experienced really high fps.
Riyukii
150fps.
E m i

Philantropist wrote:

Does higher fps reduce input lag? because my computer can't go over 120 so i've never experienced really high fps.
yes since the game only polls for input once a frame.
Xanaehla
240 FPS
Black Wolf159
Unlimited but I only get 140 fps.
ZenithPhantasm

Philantropist wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Yes because the game only polls once per frame. Low fps also reduces perfect control speed for mouse players.
7ambda
Usually 120, but it spiked to 240 today for some reason.
B1rd
Lol if you're not running above 500fps you're doing it wrong, low fps causes issues. I run 1152fps.
Skeptic DiLL
mine is runnign alright with 950
- Virtu -
480 capped
[AlphaCentauri]
6 year necropost :skull:
[RUE]Bambinex
I don't understand the point of necroposting this but in case this gets locked here is a little explanation of why having a lot of fps in osu is important.

Inputs on osu are based on the fps the game is running at. It means that, a bit like polling rate for keyboard, it will wait for a new frame to appear to get the inputs the keyboard/mouse/tablet/whatever you're using to play is sending. So if you are running osu! at 60 fps, the game is gonna check the inputs the keyboard/mouse/tablet is sending every 17ms, so your clicks can be delayed from 1 to 16ms depending on when you click, which is a lot and can cause problems in accuracy. For exemple, my pc is fairly bad, so it can only run osu! at 200 fps. The game will wait 5 ms to get inputs, which is still relatively bad, especially in osu! ctb where timings are very precise. A lot of players put their game to the "unlimited" framerate, which means there isn't any fps cap. In this way, players can achieve 1000 fps (1 ms of latency), which is enough to play comfortably. (The human brain can't really see any latency when there's only 1 ms.)
tl;dr You need a lot of fps or else it's gonna be uncomfortable to play.