forum

What´s the best way to practise streams?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Frc
Well, thanks for the "help". I guess i´ll just stick to 120, later 130, etc...

I think the next time i´ll ask on /r/osugame because here it seems to be the place where people post useless things (at least Uzzi said something what made any sense)
AdamMZ
GoldenWolf

FrcV wrote:

Well, thanks for the "help". I guess i´ll just stick to 120, later 130, etc...

I think the next time i´ll ask on /r/osugame because here it seems to be the place where people post useless things (at least Uzzi said something what made any sense)
Implying the osu!subreddit is not cancer

Also you could have tried using the search function because there are about millions of threads like this already
The answer being to start slow, build technique until you can be decently accurate then move onto faster stuff
Vuelo Eluko
take the fastest you can stream and then go slightly higher
AdamMZ
^
That's a bad idea. (Well maybe. I mean you might need to practice to follow the tempo. You might suck at slow tempo, like 120 bpm)
[-Cloud-]

AdamMZ wrote:

^
That's a bad idea. (Well maybe. I mean you might need to practice to follow the tempo. You might suck at slow tempo, like 120 bpm)
Not maybe, it definitely is.
Vuelo Eluko

[-Cloud-] wrote:

AdamMZ wrote:

^
but how will you learn to stream faster without doing that
chainpullz
Play maps with streams. Have fun. It's scientifically proven that the more fun you are the more likely you are to benefit from stuff.
B1rd

chainpullz wrote:

Play maps with streams. Have fun. It's scientifically proven that the more fun you are the more likely you are to benefit from stuff.
maybe this is why I can't stream.

I don't know what to do to practice. I just wake up, and sometimes I can stream that day, other days I can't.
AdamMZ

Riince wrote:

but how will you learn to stream faster without doing that
You learn stream in Micheal Angelo Batio way, which sucks. Even if you can go fast, it's gonna take a while to follow the tempo right. (pros plz correkt mi)
buny
make a 3 min long map with the most comfortable bpm you can stream and stream for the whole duration

do this every day 3 times, and add 2-4 bpm every day
Rewben2

chainpullz wrote:

This was a problem I had for a while. I used to suck way more at streams so I would simply avoid songs with streams because I didn't like them at all. I kind of forced myself to play stream practice maps because I couldn't avoid streams forever, they are very common. Eventually I got a bit better at them and now it's enjoyable playing maps with streams, yay.
RaneFire
First of all your mentality for learning streams is incorrect. Speed is only half the picture. Most of it has to do with feeling the tempo of the music and synchronising your fingers to it, at least if you care about being accurate. OD10 is also too hard to begin with, because you can't feel that hit window yet. All you practice, with a harsh hit window, is stuttering your fingers back and forth trying to keep to a blue line you can't even feel. That's a bad habit. Start with OD8 until you can get 95% on all BPM's you can play, then think about going to OD9/10.

When you get tempo down, you can adapt to the BPM, so practicing ranges 15-20bpm apart is actually quite pointless, since it's all about deducing your speed from listening to the music... not about looking at the BPM and preparing your finger speed before the song even starts.

Play songs where the tempo is easy to deduce. SHK - Identity Part 4 is excellent practice for this reason. The other 150/160/170/180 BPM maps are also excellent for this reason. Something like Ai no Naniwa, however, is not, and I have no idea why it's part of the long stream practice maps. You'll probably also have a better result at first practising different stream lengths, but not deathstreams just yet.
x_Co0ki420ezi_x
Put one finger on X and the other one on Z (has to be these 2 buttons, the rest are shit) and then rhythmically move them up and down when you see many many circles appearing on the beatmap (trademark) you are playing.
[-Cloud-]

Riince wrote:

[-Cloud-] wrote:

but how will you learn to stream faster without doing that[/quote]

By learning BPM's step by step. Fingercontrol is the key to good accuracy. Always playing on your speedlimits will only promote mashing.
chainpullz
I don't understand why you would need to learn streaming at certain bpms. I can understand the need to build speed and stamina, but streaming at one bpm is no different than streaming at another and the sooner you realize it the better. Just move your fingers with the music.
[-Cloud-]
Play high bpm DT for a week straight and 1 week later, try to get accuracy on a 168 BPM stream. You'll see what I mean.
GoldenWolf

[-Cloud-] wrote:

Play high bpm DT for a week straight and 1 week later, try to get accuracy on a 168 BPM stream. You'll see what I mean.
That doesn't change anything for me?
Topic Starter
Frc

RaneFire wrote:

First of all your mentality for learning streams is incorrect. Speed is only half the picture. Most of it has to do with feeling the tempo of the music and synchronising your fingers to it, at least if you care about being accurate. OD10 is also too hard to begin with, because you can't feel that hit window yet. All you practice, with a harsh hit window, is stuttering your fingers back and forth trying to keep to a blue line you can't even feel. That's a bad habit. Start with OD8 until you can get 95% on all BPM's you can play, then think about going to OD9/10.

When you get tempo down, you can adapt to the BPM, so practicing ranges 15-20bpm apart is actually quite pointless, since it's all about deducing your speed from listening to the music... not about looking at the BPM and preparing your finger speed before the song even starts.

Play songs where the tempo is easy to deduce. SHK - Identity Part 4 is excellent practice for this reason. The other 150/160/170/180 BPM maps are also excellent for this reason. Something like Ai no Naniwa, however, is not, and I have no idea why it's part of the long stream practice maps. You'll probably also have a better result at first practising different stream lengths, but not deathstreams just yet.

Well, almost all the maps i´m using for training are from you´re stream practice document, so I don´t know if they are easy to deduce in tempo because honestly, before starting playing osu i had zero rhytm or experience.

And yes, i hate that Ai No Niwa long stream...

Thanks
[-Cloud-]

GoldenWolf wrote:

[-Cloud-] wrote:

Yes, because you probably learned the game on a proper game. But if you're kinda new and you're still learning new stuff, you should learn things like fingercontrol, reading and so on, before you jump into high bpm for gaining speed. Otherwise you're doing nothing but creating bad habits and start mashing through streams, no matter what bpm.
AdamMZ
Just listen to cloud. If you guys practice in Micheal Angelo Batio way, you're not going to pass Liquid easily. I mean, I got freakin C! While other insane beatmaps, most of them I got "B"s!

If you wanna be like cookiezi, do what cloud said.
Saphirshroom

AdamMZ wrote:

Just listen to cloud. If you guys practice in Micheal Angelo Batio way, you're not going to pass Liquid easily. I mean, I got freakin C! While other insane beatmaps, most of them I got "B"s!

If you wanna be like cookiezi, do what cloud said.
Please, the correct way to get better at this game is clearly grinding Cheatreal, Big Black and of course Scarlet Rose, the hardest map in this game.
AdamMZ
Can't tell if it's a joke or not after reading Scarlet Rose.
chainpullz

GoldenWolf wrote:

[-Cloud-] wrote:

I'm with you on this one. Must have something to do with mashing through aforementioned high bpm DT long enough to forget how to actually play (or simply not being able to play in the first place). Then again, I also don't really nomod anything below 140bpm and this doesn't limit the maps I have to choose from in any noticeable way.

Edit: Also @ the OP. Music typically has heavy emphasis on the downbeat of each measure and is divided into powers of two. It is common for musicians to count (typically by tapping toe) the 1/4's (unless cut/compound time etc) and to mentally subdivide each measure as the rhythm requires. Try listening for the downbeat of each measure and the 1/4 of each measure for streams. If there isn't overmapping you might even be able to make out a slight emphasis on every 4th note of a stream in the music (corresponding the the 1/4 beats). After all, training your ear to hear the rhythm from the music is probably the most important step to streaming properly (or doing anything outside of aim in this game).

At the very least you should aim to land every 4th note dead on. Musicians typically learn 4 1/4's as (1 2 3 4), 8 1/8's as (1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &) and 16 1/16's as (1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a). The idea is that the downbeat of each measure is the most important thing to hit dead on, followed closely by the 1/4's. Even if you are struggling to hit the (e & a) part of stream accurately, aim to hit the 1/4 beats dead on and the rest will fall into place with practice. The idea is that this gives you some anchor points so that if you get off by a little bit start popping 100's you can recover more easily.
B1rd

[-Cloud-] wrote:

Yes, because you probably learned the game on a proper game. But if you're kinda new and you're still learning new stuff, you should learn things like fingercontrol, reading and so on, before you jump into high bpm for gaining speed. Otherwise you're doing nothing but creating bad habits and start mashing through streams, no matter what bpm.
Yeah I think this is a pretty accurate statement. I've heard of quite a few DT players who now have trouble with low BPM streams. I think the same thing can be said about high AR as well as high BPM streams.
So basically, you should always learn the slow stuff first, and always come back and practice it occasionally.
[-Cloud-]

chainpullz wrote:

I'm with you on this one. Must have something to do with mashing through aforementioned high bpm DT long enough to forget how to actually play (or simply not being able to play in the first place).
This also applies when you didn't learn the basics correctly. I just assume now, that OP kinda sucks at streams, so this would just be the best way. It's about learning it and understanding it rather than forgetting it in this case.

Osu is a game that takes time and you need to be patient. If you skip some aspects of the game, you'll lack some abilitys later on and it's getting frustrating.
chainpullz

B1rd wrote:

[-Cloud-] wrote:

Yeah I think this is a pretty accurate statement. I've heard of quite a few DT players who now have trouble with low BPM streams. I think the same thing can be said about high AR as well as high BPM streams.
So basically, you should always learn the slow stuff first, and always come back and practice it occasionally.
I don't think slow stuff is necessarily require, it's just really fucking hard to play slow stuff without learning how to read. It's also very hard to practice reading when stuff is too fast for your physical capabilities. The best you can do if you want to properly read fast stuff from the get-go is probably just to let yourself miss notes and focus primarily on keep on the beat (by focusing on the music more than the fast moving stuff in front of you). I think properly reading DT is probably one of the hardest skills in the game (though simply being able to react to it not as much so).

The issue lies in the fact that most people won't do this so it's (possibly?) better to just recommend the slow stuff where reacting isn't really a viable alternative to reading for getting good scores. Also, if you can't properly read high OD nomod (or HR) then you probably don't even have a chance of learning to properly read high bpm DT (considering you have to process 1.5x as much audio information in the same amount of time basically).
GoldenWolf

chainpullz wrote:

(considering you have to process 1.5x as much audio information in the same amount of time basically).
To be honest, that's not the hard part about DT, it's about keeping up with the speed physically and what's going on the screen
B1rd
Isn't higher BPM easier to be accurate due to the smaller gaps between hit windows? (Azer said something like this in Ask)

I think that generally DT is easier to be more accurate on because of this, and also due to that DT maps are often a lot rhythmically simpler than extras, with or without hardrock.
chainpullz

GoldenWolf wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

(considering you have to process 1.5x as much audio information in the same amount of time basically).
To be honest, that's not the hard part about DT, it's about keeping up with the speed physically and what's going on the screen
While that's true, it's basically another prerequisite to properly reading at that speed. I'd say the ability to properly read high bpm is what distinguishes the truly amazing DT players from the good DT players (personal opinion). That and being able to aim complex patterns on AR10.3. Most good DT players tend to already have the physical speed.

Edit:

B1rd wrote:

Isn't higher BPM easier to be accurate due to the smaller gaps between hit windows? (Azer said something like this in Ask)

I think that generally DT is easier to be more accurate on because of this, and also due to that DT maps are often a lot rhythmically simpler than extras, with or without hardrock.
Higher BPM is easier, but DT is not. The hit windows scale linearly with the 1.5x speed increase (they overlap by the same relative amount as nomod).
AdamMZ
Chainpull... really?

Well, I'm gonna listen to guitarists. Start from slow first.
(seriously, I can't freakin pass Liquid [insane] even if it's ~3 stars)
winber1

chainpullz wrote:

Most good DT players tend to already have the physical speed.
pls no

i worked hard for the speed

and i still have no speed

pls this is all i have to live for pls no take away from me
buny
you can't distinguish between dt players if you don't play dt yourself