forum

Kiai Time requests

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
show more
Yingwu

MetalMario201 wrote:

An option, available to players, to dim the background during Kiai Time. This is not a disabler. Some maps abuse Kiai Time with light backdrops to white out the screen and keep the player from seeing what they're supposed to do.
I agree on that one, it's super annoying when the flashing is abused, for example the La Roux - Tigerlily map, when playing Taiko every x2 note unleashes a flash and thats distracting as hell.

Support!
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

An option for mappers to disable the star fountain for a Kiai section. Just start the flashing and cursor effects.
Agreed highly.

MetalMario201 wrote:

An option, available to players, to disable cursor stars during spinners. If you make small circles, the cursor just looks like a white blob and you can't keep it on center. This unfairly favours players who make large circles.
Disagreed highly. I spin small and have no issue with kiai spinners.

For your other requests, I don't support or oppose them.
Dusty

MetalMario201 wrote:

An option for mappers to double/half the flash rate per section.
Also, being able to third the flash rate would be nice.

I've mapped two songs now, one of them ranked, where I had to map a 6/8 song at 1/3rd BPM so the Kiai flashes don't blind people, but when I do that, sliders/drumrolls play really poorly in Taiko mode.

edit: I fail at quoting
LuigiHann
I really think that what is needed is a slider in options than controls the density and opacity of all effects that use the kiai stars. I'm sure some people will always complain, but being able to tone it down (or turn it up) according to one's own preference would be a good compromise.

Your specific suggestions are all good as well though.
awp

MetalMario201 wrote:

An option, available to players, to disable cursor stars during spinners. If you make small circles, the cursor just looks like a white blob and you can't keep it on center. This unfairly favours players who make large circles.
What about always shooting stars to the outside of the screen
rust45

MetalMario201 wrote:

An option for mappers to disable the star fountain for a Kiai section. Just start the flashing and cursor effects.
This would be nice, but I also can't see why something that deserves flashing notes, wouldn't have the fountain, so I'm kinda neutral on this.

MetalMario201 wrote:

I agree, some maps may have the flashing too slow or fast depending on the point of the song.

MetalMario201 wrote:

An option, available to players, to dim the background during Kiai Time. This is not a disabler. Some maps abuse Kiai Time with light backdrops to white out the screen and keep the player from seeing what they're supposed to do.
Neutral, as this has never been a problem to me.

MetalMario201 wrote:

I'm the same as strager, I'm a small circle spinner and I'm just fine, I think the only people this would affect would be those who get extremely close to the center, who I assume would be able to have it under control since what they're doing without the kiai on still take much skill.
anonymous_old

rust45 wrote:

MetalMario201 wrote:

This would be nice, but I also can't see why something that deserves flashing notes, wouldn't have the fountain, so I'm kinda neutral on this.
If you want to Kiai a chorus, and the chorus has a one-measure "lead-in" before the "big bang", you may want to have Kiai on that lead-in, too. Currently, there would be fountain splashes on the side at the beginning of the lead-in, but if that feature is implemented you could have fountain splashes only at the "big bang" part.
Derekku

strager wrote:

If you want to Kiai a chorus, and the chorus has a one-measure "lead-in" before the "big bang", you may want to have Kiai on that lead-in, too. Currently, there would be fountain splashes on the side at the beginning of the lead-in, but if that feature is implemented you could have fountain splashes only at the "big bang" part.
Must... resist... supporting... :(
Topic Starter
mm201

rust45 wrote:

Also if you want to flash out more complex patterns.

rust45 wrote:

I'm the same as strager, I'm a small circle spinner and I'm just fine, I think the only people this would affect would be those who get extremely close to the center, who I assume would be able to have it under control since what they're doing without the kiai on still take much skill.
A screenshot of what I mean coming tonight when I get home.
Card N'FoRcE

MetalMario201 wrote:

This.

I don't mind the others, but i WANT this.

I was almost going to propose it myself.
0_o

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

I was almost going to propose it myself.
Way ahead of ya :P

Do want kiai without fountains as well.
Kitsunemimi

strager wrote:

MetalMario201 wrote:

Disagreed highly. I spin small and have no issue with kiai spinners.
...I spin large and I can't find my cursor after the spinner because of all the stars.
0_o

MetalMario201 wrote:

I would also like the converse, kiai fountain without the flashing. I know it can be done by using two sections right next to eachother but it's an annoying way to do it.
Topic Starter
mm201

0_o wrote:

MetalMario201 wrote:

I would also like the converse, kiai fountain without the flashing. I know it can be done by using two sections right next to eachother but it's an annoying way to do it.
But possible, unlike its complement.

Weak support.
Chacha17

MetalMario201 wrote:

Awesome. I usually lose track of my cursor due to these stars and fancy things during kiai times.
bmin11
This is going to be beatiful. I'm not sure with double since it is already bright enough to ignoy some people
Support~
Breeze

MetalMario201 wrote:

I always hate KIAI with light colour, I'd like to use KIAI if I can half the flash rate :D
Arusha Shuna

MetalMario201 wrote:

yeah, the fountain kinda bugged me when playing a map with complex patterns, then suddenly kiai often breaks all :( SUPPORT+

/dowant SUPPORT+++

maps like this is really annoying with kiai since it has a light BG SUPPORT+

hmmm my cursor is dark so i have no problems with this, also i do spin small/large (depending on situation) NEUTRAL
Gens
I remember I made a similar request to 2 some time ago. You can search it yourself if you're curious. :P

I agree with everything except the last request; same as everyone else, I have no issue doing small circles (been trying out my tablet now :) ).
Derekku

Gens wrote:

I agree with everything except the last request; same as everyone else, I have no issue doing small circles
@MM: I disagree that kiai favors those who spin big. I'm sick of hearing people say "people who spin smaller circles have an advantage ): ):" regardless of whether kiai time is enabled or not. It's the same argument as mouse vs. tablet. If you think one has an advantage, then learn to do the other and practice. Gosh. /rant

Kiai <3

EDIT: Looks like the old request is here. Dammit, MM, you even posted in it. xp
Nactra

> support.

>neutral.

>i'd rather like the "slider"brightness in options,or a line in ranking guidelines that fully forbid the use of kiai time on birght BG maps.

>support.
peppy
An option for mappers to create every toggle possible.
awp
an option to enable a function pointer to a dll that overloads osu! functions and allows users to configure every little detail of their beatmap's behaviour through an api
LuigiHann

peppy wrote:

An option for mappers to create every toggle possible.
Personally I am still in favor of giving mappers more control over Kiai time, so that the mappers who "hate kiai time" might actually use it as intended, to identify choruses/epic parts, without having to add whichever effect it is that they hate
EvianBubble

MetalMario201 wrote:

Yes! +1 support

MetalMario201 wrote:

+1 support :D

MetalMario201 wrote:

Oh gosh, +1 support

MetalMario201 wrote:

Neutral on this, but I guess it could be useful for other players, so +1 support

Really, I'd like to have more control over Kiai time :P
FireballFlame

MetalMario201 wrote:

Sounds like a good idea, support from me.

MetalMario201 wrote:

Support, but a more free selection would be useful. Like 1/3 for 3/4 time signatures and such.

MetalMario201 wrote:

I already dislike the no-video mod and removing storyboard files, as they give players who do it an unfair advantage over those who don't. Sure, everyone can, but that boils down to having to choose between eye-candy and easier gameplay, which kinda sucks.
I understand that those are justified as they help people with weaker PCs improve the game's performance; but that doesn't apply to this request. I'd support it, however, if it were an option for mappers instead of players.

MetalMario201 wrote:

Dunno... I spin very small circles and the stars have never been a issue to me. But I know the problem from stupid spinner skins...
Eddycted
I would just like to point out that this is especially true for players that suffer from colour blindness or colour vision deficiency. This is also true for maps that use circle colours that match the background, but combined with kiai time you simply have to resort to guesswork. I understand that the game is impossible to adapt to players who suffer from either of these, but the function mentioned above would help greatly.
Shael_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

Yeah I'm with you on that one.

It really screws my spin sometimes...
[Strike]

MetalMario201 wrote:

support!