forum

[Taiko] Wii Tatacon to USB Converter

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Mere days away (for real this time!). I've finally got the quality up to scratch, the solution is to just print everything really slowly. I'm printing ~8 of each colour so I actually have stock to sell when I open orders. It's about 10 hours of printing so including breaks, 2 days absolute tops. Prepare your wallets :)

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

i had a suggestion for a new color, the official osu! Shade of pink. I think it would be pretty nice to have that as a color option.
You're making me broke. Purchased 3 new rolls - osu! pink, silver and lime green.

Have also ordered the next 50 PCBs. Stock issues should subside :)
Korrui

montymintypie wrote:

Mere days away (for real this time!). I've finally got the quality up to scratch, the solution is to just print everything really slowly. I'm printing ~8 of each colour so I actually have stock to sell when I open orders. It's about 10 hours of printing so including breaks, 2 days absolute tops. Prepare your wallets :)

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

i had a suggestion for a new color, the official osu! Shade of pink. I think it would be pretty nice to have that as a color option.
You're making me broke. Purchased 3 new rolls - osu! pink, silver and lime green.

Have also ordered the next 50 PCBs. Stock issues should subside :)
Haha, I'm sorry. Thats awesome. Those are really god collors and i think that the osu! Pinkwill sel very well(i'm jellous cause i want a silver but ill just print it myself haha)

Another new idea since they come in parts , why not offer multicolor ones?
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Thank you everyone again for your patience. They are on sale again!

Check the first post for more info, or just click here :)

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

Another new idea since they come in parts , why not offer multicolor ones?
The rear cover is far too small for me to make it an official option, but if someone wants to mix and match, just leave a note when you purchase.
Catgirl

montymintypie wrote:

Thank you everyone again for your patience. They are on sale again!

Awesome! I'll put in my order when I get home from work~
Topic Starter
montymintypie
New colours now available - pink, silver and lime green :)

Korrui

montymintypie wrote:

New colours now available - pink, silver and lime green :)

Dannnggggg those look nice. Any chance of a limited transparen edition? Haha
ToaKarn
I totally would go for a transparent one, especially since they used to have a face on the board. But I was impatient and bought a white one as soon as they came out. :P
My tatacon just arrived in the mail, and after hours of butthurt trying to pair my Wiimote I got it to work. I note in the product features that it's so sensitive you can bounce your sticks for multihits; trying out the tatacon, though, I noticed it takes a good amount of force whacking it to get a hit. Is the converter more sensitive than the Wiimote, or is it a hardware thing? Because I really don't want to get noise complaints from my neighbors, during the night it sounds as loud as a real drum. :?
Korrui

ToaKarn wrote:

I totally would go for a transparent one, especially since they used to have a face on the board. But I was impatient and bought a white one as soon as they came out. :P
My tatacon just arrived in the mail, and after hours of butthurt trying to pair my Wiimote I got it to work. I note in the product features that it's so sensitive you can bounce your sticks for multihits; trying out the tatacon, though, I noticed it takes a good amount of force whacking it to get a hit. Is the converter more sensitive than the Wiimote, or is it a hardware thing? Because I really don't want to get noise complaints from my neighbors, during the night it sounds as loud as a real drum. :?
It can be heard throughout a household but not by neighbors. I ordered mine when it first came out which would be nice to get a clear case for.
Catgirl
well my converter came in today, i will say the 0 delay claim is true and it's really fun to use! still trying to get used to how to actually control the drumsticks and hit the correct part of the drum, i find myself often hitting a dead part of the drum when i try to hit kats c:

i think my drum is just trash though because it's having a lot of trouble registering even the most basic hits. i messed around with debouncing settings and stuff, and nothing seemed to make any difference. the drum was new and it's the same one that comes with taiko wii games, but i can't really test the drum on its own without the game.

regardless, after a 2+ hour session playing random maps to test it out, i have to say it's a lot of fun! i'll definitely do some more testing to confirm it's just the drum having problems and not the converter c:
GMMAwesome

ToaKarn wrote:

trying out the tatacon, though, I noticed it takes a good amount of force whacking it to get a hit.

Catgirl wrote:

i think my drum is just trash though because it's having a lot of trouble registering even the most basic hits.
That's just how the normal tatacon is. Luckily, there are some mods you can do that will make it work better.

Here's the guide I used: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=117

This cork plate worked without needing any modifications: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1

For steps 9-10, I couldn't get a 5 mm hole puncher, so I stuffed the holes with tissue and put tape over the holes. I also stuffed some tissues into the empty area shown in step 3 to lessen the impact from hits.

You might have to do some more modifications after testing (some of the rubber would make the kat parts too sensitive on mine, so I had to cut those pieces of rubber off), but if you're willing to do that, the results are very noticeable.

On another note, I haven't gotten my converter yet, but I can't wait to use it. I might make a video on it if I can properly record it and show the improvement in delay.
Catgirl

GMMAwesome wrote:

ToaKarn wrote:

trying out the tatacon, though, I noticed it takes a good amount of force whacking it to get a hit.

Catgirl wrote:

i think my drum is just trash though because it's having a lot of trouble registering even the most basic hits.
That's just how the normal tatacon is. Luckily, there are some mods you can do that will make it work better.

This cork plate worked without needing any modifications: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1

For steps 9-10, I couldn't get a 5 mm hole puncher, so I stuffed the holes with tissue and put tape over the holes. I also stuffed some tissues into the empty area shown in step 3 to lessen the impact from hits.

You might have to do some more modifications after testing (some of the rubber would make the kat parts too sensitive on mine, so I had to cut those pieces of rubber off), but if you're willing to do that, the results are very noticeable.

On another note, I haven't gotten my converter yet, but I can't wait to use it. I might make a video on it if I can properly record it and show the improvement in delay.
yeah i've had people suggest i mod it, i'll definitely take a look c:

i already have a recording from today if you want to see the no delay https://twitch.tv/deconstream/v/80370278
ToaKarn

GMMAwesome wrote:

ToaKarn wrote:

Catgirl wrote:

You mean I have to spend even more money on this? ;_; I'll take a look into this when I have an actual income and soundproofing on my walls, thanks! :)
ToaKarn

Catgirl wrote:

i already have a recording from today if you want to see the no delay https://twitch.tv/deconstream/v/80370278
That actually helps quite a bit. I'll have to try out the style you were holding the sticks with, I was trying it the way people always do it in the arcade TnT. Maybe I can get mine as responsive as yours.
Catgirl

ToaKarn wrote:

Catgirl wrote:

That actually helps quite a bit. I'll have to try out the style you were holding the sticks with, I was trying it the way people always do it in the arcade TnT. Maybe I can get mine as responsive as yours.
i wouldn't recommend my style, i had no idea what i was doing cause i never played arcade before. i just tried a bunch of different ways and this is what felt right
Catgirl
update: i modded my drum and here's an update of how responsive the dons are now. still working on the kats, i'll hopefully get them just as perfect really soon!

ToaKarn

Catgirl wrote:

update: i modded my drum and here's an update of how responsive the dons are now. still working on the kats, i'll hopefully get them just as perfect really soon!

I have no idea how you're hitting those kats, I'm just assuming that you're shifting your finger over and the camera isn't fast enough. :P Now it's time to figure out how spinners and bouncing works, eh?

I'm assuming you're using the guide from above; can I ask how much the mod cost you and where you bought everything from?
Catgirl

ToaKarn wrote:

Catgirl wrote:

I have no idea how you're hitting those kats, I'm just assuming that you're shifting your finger over and the camera isn't fast enough. :P Now it's time to figure out how spinners and bouncing works, eh?

I'm assuming you're using the guide from above; can I ask how much the mod cost you and where you bought everything from?
oh, it was relax mod so i hit everything as a don c:
this was mainly just to show how responsive the drum itself was. i haven't modified any of the sensors for the rims yet. well i did, but i screwed them up so i reverted back to normal and i'll try them again tomorrow.

i used the exact guide you linked. the cork things cost me $7.99 for three + shipping, i managed to get some scrap rubber for free at home depot, and the rest of my shopping was buying a mini hole punch and some tape which probably cost me $3 total. it wasn't too bad at all, and the mod itself probably took me 2 hours. filling all of the holes with rubber takes more time than you'd think, plus i didn't really know exactly what i was doing.

just a warning, if you mod like this, you can't overlap the left and right side rim sensors with the rubber or both sides will be treated the same which can cause some problems. i also noticed there's a spot right in the middle of my drum that hits both dons at the same time, but that's super minor.

once i can perfect the sensors on the rims i'll update and let you know how it goes c:
ToaKarn

Catgirl wrote:

i used the exact guide you linked. the cork things cost me $7.99 for three + shipping, i managed to get some scrap rubber for free at home depot, and the rest of my shopping was buying a mini hole punch and some tape which probably cost me $3 total. it wasn't too bad at all, and the mod itself probably took me 2 hours. filling all of the holes with rubber takes more time than you'd think, plus i didn't really know exactly what i was doing.

just a warning, if you mod like this, you can't overlap the left and right side rim sensors with the rubber or both sides will be treated the same which can cause some problems. i also noticed there's a spot right in the middle of my drum that hits both dons at the same time, but that's super minor.

once i can perfect the sensors on the rims i'll update and let you know how it goes c:
Didn't know Relax did that, the description isn't very specific. :? Look forward to the update!
Topic Starter
montymintypie
My drum has the same mods as the neogaf post - I made the mistake of covering everything with rubber and I often hit kats and dons at the same time which was a huge pain. I've since taken it apart again and left gaps around the edges and it's much better. Also remember to leave gaps for the kats too! I'm still double hitting some kats when I shouldn't be, I'll take it apart and fix it for good soon...
xXxDERPFACExXx
Is this still available for purchase? I am really interested in getting one.
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Yep! I have tons in stock, click here or the link in the first post.
xXxDERPFACExXx
I had another question; about how long does it take to ship to the US?
Topic Starter
montymintypie
About 1.5 weeks seems standard - express post unfortunately adds about $20 to the cost.

If you're unlucky it can take up to 3 weeks, but post to the US seems fairly consistent.
AsakuraVN
So I have kind of a weird setup. Basically none of my laptops/tablets are able to handle Osu efficiently, & I can't play near my PC. So my only choice is to connect my PC from 10 meters away to the big screen TV using hdmi & usb extension cables. I run the game at 720p to prevent screen tearing, & the speaker is in the same room so the sound is fine.

But then the input lag from the tatacon is quite noticeable during high bpm songs, due to the long distant usb cord. I can still hit the notes if I focus on the beats, but the Don/Kat sounds are really distracting because they play a bit late after the hit.

Do you guys have any ideas how to reduce the latency? I did some googling & some people suggest using a USB hub, but I'm not sure if that's gonna make a different :o
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Due to the nature of USB, it either works or it doesn't - there is no extra latency from a long USB cable (technically 30 nanoseconds, but that's about 100,000 times shorter than you can notice).

Is the audio coming through HDMI too? Some TVs can have atrocious input lag, and if it's handling the audio too it could explain it. If it's the audio, you may have to run a 3.5mm cable along with the rest :(

If that fails, try and look at the lights on the converter - see if they're also lagging. It could be the controller isn't sensitive enough and only registers a hit some time after you actually make it. I think this is unlikely as even bad controllers register hits on time, you just have to hit them really hard.

Good luck!
AsakuraVN
Nvm, after configuring the universal offset in Osu to -60, the hitsound is on point now :D

The only problem left is modding my tatacon for better sensitivity...
xXxDERPFACExXx
Adapter came in today, works great!
10/10 would recommend

ps ty for mentos
JuanWarrior
Hi. Can I pay you now but do not ship it to me now?

I'm going to another country for at least 1 month. But I really want your USB. :p
Topic Starter
montymintypie

JuanWarrior wrote:

I'm going to another country for at least 1 month. But I really want your USB. :p
No worries! Just leave a note on the payment info to let me know when to ship it out.
JuanWarrior

montymintypie wrote:

JuanWarrior wrote:

No worries! Just leave a note on the payment info to let me know when to ship it out.
Hello, I already purchase it. I'm not leaving after all lmao.

You can ship it.

Thanks
Replicax
要去哪裡買? 我是Taiwan 人
Topic Starter
montymintypie

Replicax wrote:

要去哪裡買? 我是Taiwan 人
这里买。我全球范围内提供!

Hope that came out alright, Google Translate and all...
Replicax

montymintypie wrote:

Replicax wrote:

要去哪裡買? 我是Taiwan 人
这里买。我全球范围内提供!

Hope that came out alright, Google Translate and all...
ok I know. Thank you
Tediorej
Aye I think this is a sweet Idea. I am kindo late to the Taiko segment of Osu, However my sister recently got this great interest in it and would like to play with the drum set. I was wondering what I should do about it because after a ton of research it seems that the default wii drum is bad. Do I absolutely have to Mod the drum or can I buy one that works good right away? After I figure what I will do about the drum, I would love to buy one of these converters to fix the lag problem!

Thanks!
Topic Starter
montymintypie
I would definitely say the default wii drum 100% needs modding. That being said, there are 2 other options:

Hori drum. Practically arcade spec. $270. Somewhat overkill..

$30 Chinese knockoff drum. Feels funny to play on since they use real buttons instead of capacitive sensors, but without mods it plays better than the official drum without mods.

If you mod the official drum it's the best value for money, but if you don't want to mod anything I think the knockoff wins.
Tediorej
Yeeees I see, well I will more than likely be going for the mod-route then. I see the official Taiko Drum for like $50 bucks on amazon, so I figure it will be okay. I look forward to trying everything out!

Thank you for the quick response omg.
hiandbye
What do you mean by modding the official drum? What are its shortcomings? Is there a guide anywhere on what you can do to make it better?
Edit: Actually, I just saw that GMMAwesome posted one just 2 pages ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=117

Also, thank you for all your hard work on making and distributing this converter!
Wise Guys
If I buy a Wii tatacon drum or wii U tatacon are they both compatible with osu? Also if I use a wii tatacon u to usb converter do I bypass owning a wii console or wii U console entirely?
Topic Starter
montymintypie
I can't remember off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure the Wii U drums also connect via the Nunchuck connector. If this is the case, it will work fine with my converter! You don't need a wii at all :)
captainblund
how long would it take to ship to Korea?
show more