[Taiko] Wii Tatacon to USB Converter

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
montymintypie

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

Do you still have mine on hold?
Yes! I wouldn't sell it after holding it so long, that'd just be rude.
Korrui

montymintypie wrote:

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

Do you still have mine on hold?
Yes! I wouldn't sell it after holding it so long, that'd just be rude.
Thanks!
Thievsly
Anyone who needs one before May can pm me. I can't really afford a new drum with a baby on the way... $25 shipped. US buyers only.
MakkipMaster
Ah! Mine came today! (I hadn't said earlier, but I had scrapped up enough money to buy one! ;3) I can't test it now since i'm actually still remodeling my drum, but I can do it later. I can update then! Thanks so much @montymintypie!! :D! (For the little gifts too :33)

EDIT: I had finished fixing my drum, and i've gotta say, this works wonders! I love it so much. There's no delay at all for me. I can now play songs that are not on TnT Wii with a tatacon, and effectively! Thank you again!! :3!
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Excellent to hear @MakkipMaster :)

New updates - I bought a 3D printer. Delivery sometime next week. If all goes well, this means I can add cases to all future converters for no extra cost :)
Korrui
Thats awesome!
Korrui
Woohoo finally got mine. It looks amazing. Works perfectly! I love the LED's. Great job. I was wondering if you could send me a 3d printed shell that I could add to it? I'd be willing to pay extra for it.
Loc
-
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Super duper easy. Completely plug and play, with the Chrome app to change the key bindings.

3D printing is hard and the next batch is still being produced. Thank you all for your patience.
Korrui

Loc wrote:

I´ve been thinking for a while to use a tatacon, is it easy to install this?
Yes it is! You simply plu in the tatacon to the device, then plug the device in to your computers usb slot. Simple as that!
Chry
Hey awesome project monty. I had bought a tatacon and all the wii crap a while back but once i got osu open I found myself drowning in lag ;-;
poor tatacon has been sitting in the closet for months now thanks to that. I wish i had known about your project beforehand. Do you have that next batch(with cases) finished yet? I'd love to have a converter.
Topic Starter
montymintypie

Chry wrote:

Do you have that next batch(with cases) finished yet? I'd love to have a converter.
Still waiting - will email to determine the production delay. Cases are improving and almost ready :)
Chry
Great no problem. Will patiently be waiting~ :) :D :D :D :D :D
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Received information from supplier:
-PCB has been ready.
-All of materials will be got on May 23.
-PCBA assembly will be started on May 24.
-The goods will be shipped on May 25.
Thus new estimate is Mid June for more stock :)
mizuki-chan
Would be awesome, if that works...
Thinking about getting a tatacon drum maybe.
Topic Starter
montymintypie
To all those following, thanks again for the patience :)

If you're thinking of buying one, could you fill this survey on case colour? I'll be able to offer white, black, blue and red and would like to know roughly how much to print of each. If there's big demand for another colour I will buy more filament.

PCBs have shipped and I should receive them within 2 weeks. It may take a bit longer to start shipping since that'll coincide with my exams for this semester. But almost there :D
mizuki-chan

montymintypie wrote:

could you fill this survey on case colour?
Done.
Looking foward to get one, even if it will take a while :D
Aitortxo_old
First of all, hi to the community. Noob here. Made an account just to write in this thread and discovered Osu! on the way :D

I wanted to congratulate montymintypie for such awesome board, one of the coolest I've seen in my life and this comes from someone with several Cave PCBs at home. I wanted to buy a couple of boards with blue and red boxes although my daughter would prefer pink :D I'll be checking for updates. Keep up the good work!
ToaKarn
Just wondering, when the first post said to expect a resupply this June, is that recent (2016)? Does it work with cheap knockoff Tatacons? And does osu! automatically detect it when plugged in? And will this batch have cases?
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Yes, this June 2016! This parcel is taking its time to arrive at my house...

I own both genuine and knockoff, works on both. Even works on the very expensive Hori controllers.

Osu doesn't need to detect the drum as it pretends to be a keyboard. However I do like navigating songs with the drum, expect that to come to osu when it becomes open source.

Yes to cases for this batch - printer is ready!
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Boards are here! Parcel sure took a beating...

I need to finish my exams then solder the boards up. I don't expect it to take more than a week from now.

The new revision is slightly smaller than the last and will fit the case better, too:
SPOILER
Old on top, new on bottom
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Thoughts as I finalise cases - what option would people prefer?

• Cases are glued and cannot be taken apart without snapping. Stronger.
    Cases are clipped and look a little worse, but can be taken apart if you want.
GMMAwesome
Just got into Taiko and am interested in this.

I probably wouldn't mod it, so I would prefer the glued version.
mizuki-chan
If the case is strong enough with clipped parts, i'd say you can go for clipped.
I dont mind if its glue or clipped for my reasons :)
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Status update:

Cases will be strong and hold the board very well without the need for glue.

I have gone through many prototypes:

The cases for the old and new versions are on Thingiverse now.

Almost ready, but I am fixing some print quality issues. I want to make sure people receive the best quality product.
Korrui

montymintypie wrote:

Status update:

Cases will be strong and hold the board very well without the need for glue.

I have gone through many prototypes:

The cases for the old and new versions are on Thingiverse now.

Almost ready, but I am fixing some print quality issues. I want to make sure people receive the best quality product.
Thanks again for making these available!
Catgirl
the cases look really nice! i already forgot which color i put down for myself when i submitted the form but i just want to say that i'm still really excited for these!
mizuki-chan
so whats the status for now? when are they going to be available?
Korrui

mizuki-chan wrote:

so whats the status for now? when are they going to be available?
They should be in stock very soon from what ive seen. Also this is for monty, i had a suggestion for a new color, the official osu! Shade of pink. I think it would be pretty nice to have that as a color option.
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Mere days away (for real this time!). I've finally got the quality up to scratch, the solution is to just print everything really slowly. I'm printing ~8 of each colour so I actually have stock to sell when I open orders. It's about 10 hours of printing so including breaks, 2 days absolute tops. Prepare your wallets :)

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

i had a suggestion for a new color, the official osu! Shade of pink. I think it would be pretty nice to have that as a color option.
You're making me broke. Purchased 3 new rolls - osu! pink, silver and lime green.

Have also ordered the next 50 PCBs. Stock issues should subside :)
Korrui

montymintypie wrote:

Mere days away (for real this time!). I've finally got the quality up to scratch, the solution is to just print everything really slowly. I'm printing ~8 of each colour so I actually have stock to sell when I open orders. It's about 10 hours of printing so including breaks, 2 days absolute tops. Prepare your wallets :)

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

i had a suggestion for a new color, the official osu! Shade of pink. I think it would be pretty nice to have that as a color option.
You're making me broke. Purchased 3 new rolls - osu! pink, silver and lime green.

Have also ordered the next 50 PCBs. Stock issues should subside :)
Haha, I'm sorry. Thats awesome. Those are really god collors and i think that the osu! Pinkwill sel very well(i'm jellous cause i want a silver but ill just print it myself haha)

Another new idea since they come in parts , why not offer multicolor ones?
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Thank you everyone again for your patience. They are on sale again!

Check the first post for more info, or just click here :)

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

Another new idea since they come in parts , why not offer multicolor ones?
The rear cover is far too small for me to make it an official option, but if someone wants to mix and match, just leave a note when you purchase.
Catgirl

montymintypie wrote:

Thank you everyone again for your patience. They are on sale again!

Awesome! I'll put in my order when I get home from work~
Topic Starter
montymintypie
New colours now available - pink, silver and lime green :)

Korrui

montymintypie wrote:

New colours now available - pink, silver and lime green :)

Dannnggggg those look nice. Any chance of a limited transparen edition? Haha
ToaKarn
I totally would go for a transparent one, especially since they used to have a face on the board. But I was impatient and bought a white one as soon as they came out. :P
My tatacon just arrived in the mail, and after hours of butthurt trying to pair my Wiimote I got it to work. I note in the product features that it's so sensitive you can bounce your sticks for multihits; trying out the tatacon, though, I noticed it takes a good amount of force whacking it to get a hit. Is the converter more sensitive than the Wiimote, or is it a hardware thing? Because I really don't want to get noise complaints from my neighbors, during the night it sounds as loud as a real drum. :?
Korrui

ToaKarn wrote:

I totally would go for a transparent one, especially since they used to have a face on the board. But I was impatient and bought a white one as soon as they came out. :P
My tatacon just arrived in the mail, and after hours of butthurt trying to pair my Wiimote I got it to work. I note in the product features that it's so sensitive you can bounce your sticks for multihits; trying out the tatacon, though, I noticed it takes a good amount of force whacking it to get a hit. Is the converter more sensitive than the Wiimote, or is it a hardware thing? Because I really don't want to get noise complaints from my neighbors, during the night it sounds as loud as a real drum. :?
It can be heard throughout a household but not by neighbors. I ordered mine when it first came out which would be nice to get a clear case for.
Catgirl
well my converter came in today, i will say the 0 delay claim is true and it's really fun to use! still trying to get used to how to actually control the drumsticks and hit the correct part of the drum, i find myself often hitting a dead part of the drum when i try to hit kats c:

i think my drum is just trash though because it's having a lot of trouble registering even the most basic hits. i messed around with debouncing settings and stuff, and nothing seemed to make any difference. the drum was new and it's the same one that comes with taiko wii games, but i can't really test the drum on its own without the game.

regardless, after a 2+ hour session playing random maps to test it out, i have to say it's a lot of fun! i'll definitely do some more testing to confirm it's just the drum having problems and not the converter c:
GMMAwesome

ToaKarn wrote:

trying out the tatacon, though, I noticed it takes a good amount of force whacking it to get a hit.

Catgirl wrote:

i think my drum is just trash though because it's having a lot of trouble registering even the most basic hits.
That's just how the normal tatacon is. Luckily, there are some mods you can do that will make it work better.

Here's the guide I used: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=117

This cork plate worked without needing any modifications: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1

For steps 9-10, I couldn't get a 5 mm hole puncher, so I stuffed the holes with tissue and put tape over the holes. I also stuffed some tissues into the empty area shown in step 3 to lessen the impact from hits.

You might have to do some more modifications after testing (some of the rubber would make the kat parts too sensitive on mine, so I had to cut those pieces of rubber off), but if you're willing to do that, the results are very noticeable.

On another note, I haven't gotten my converter yet, but I can't wait to use it. I might make a video on it if I can properly record it and show the improvement in delay.
Catgirl

GMMAwesome wrote:

ToaKarn wrote:

trying out the tatacon, though, I noticed it takes a good amount of force whacking it to get a hit.

Catgirl wrote:

i think my drum is just trash though because it's having a lot of trouble registering even the most basic hits.
That's just how the normal tatacon is. Luckily, there are some mods you can do that will make it work better.

Here's the guide I used: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=117

This cork plate worked without needing any modifications: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1

For steps 9-10, I couldn't get a 5 mm hole puncher, so I stuffed the holes with tissue and put tape over the holes. I also stuffed some tissues into the empty area shown in step 3 to lessen the impact from hits.

You might have to do some more modifications after testing (some of the rubber would make the kat parts too sensitive on mine, so I had to cut those pieces of rubber off), but if you're willing to do that, the results are very noticeable.

On another note, I haven't gotten my converter yet, but I can't wait to use it. I might make a video on it if I can properly record it and show the improvement in delay.
yeah i've had people suggest i mod it, i'll definitely take a look c:

i already have a recording from today if you want to see the no delay https://twitch.tv/deconstream/v/80370278
show more