forum

[Taiko] Wii Tatacon to USB Converter

posted
Total Posts
show more
Tediorej
Yeeees I see, well I will more than likely be going for the mod-route then. I see the official Taiko Drum for like $50 bucks on amazon, so I figure it will be okay. I look forward to trying everything out!

Thank you for the quick response omg.
hiandbye
What do you mean by modding the official drum? What are its shortcomings? Is there a guide anywhere on what you can do to make it better?
Edit: Actually, I just saw that GMMAwesome posted one just 2 pages ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=117

Also, thank you for all your hard work on making and distributing this converter!
Wise Guys
If I buy a Wii tatacon drum or wii U tatacon are they both compatible with osu? Also if I use a wii tatacon u to usb converter do I bypass owning a wii console or wii U console entirely?
Topic Starter
montymintypie
I can't remember off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure the Wii U drums also connect via the Nunchuck connector. If this is the case, it will work fine with my converter! You don't need a wii at all :)
captainblund
how long would it take to ship to Korea?
Topic Starter
montymintypie

captainblund wrote:

how long would it take to ship to Korea?
Never sent one there! It could be as fast as 1 week, Korea is quite close :)
captainblund
You are in Japan?
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Nope, I am based in Australia. Closer than America ;)
captainblund
Is it possible for shipping to Korea to be cheaper than normal?
Topic Starter
montymintypie

captainblund wrote:

Is it possible for shipping to Korea to be cheaper than normal?
Because the converter is small, I get away with pretending it's a "Large letter". Because of this, cost saving of sending to Korea is only 60 cents :( PM me if you're still interested :)
captainblund
I have sent a Pm. :)
Canboi
Is it just a converter?
Topic Starter
montymintypie

fanhoho wrote:

Is it just a converter?
I'm not sure I understand the question :| It does not come with a drum, if that's what you're asking?
Canboi

montymintypie wrote:

fanhoho wrote:

Is it just a converter?
I'm not sure I understand the question :| It does not come with a drum, if that's what you're asking?
Actually you answered what I was trying to ask :P
I wonder if there is a set of drum in it.

So... it is just a converter...

Nevermind... I checked out a set of tatacon online
Everything are so expensive...
Topic Starter
montymintypie

fanhoho wrote:

Everything are so expensive...
Yes, the drums are not cheap :( I am currently prototyping a "basic" version of the converter. It may be $15 instead of $25. I'm not sure if I can make it work. Shall see...
Topic Starter
montymintypie

montymintypie wrote:

I am currently prototyping a "basic" version of the converter. It may be $15 instead of $25. I'm not sure if I can make it work. Shall see...
My prototypes arrived - due to differences in the USB and Nunchuck connector, they do not work. Oh well :\
karterfreak
Having remembered this is a thing, I'm highly considering picking one of these up once I have the funds to afford getting a wii drum. Possibly after the holidays depending on circumstances. Would be something great to play around with when I'm not up for really hard songs.
Jism_old
Will I need a wii controller for this?
Topic Starter
montymintypie

Jism wrote:

Will I need a wii controller for this?
Email notifications froze again, sorry for the delay.

No Wii controller required! The controller plugs directly into the converter as though it were a wiimote.
Rey-Don
Nice! I sent my money through paypal, hoping that this converter will be pretty good.Thanks!
Rey-Don
The adapter came in the mail in about 3 weeks, and there isn't any noticeable delay from it. The only thing I need to do is fix my tatacon's rim, the hits are not very accurate and I have to hit pretty hard for it to register. Overall I'd give the adapter a 10/10. My drum however gets a 3/10.
SugoiReborn
Wow, that seems great!
I'll be ordering one since I was given a knock off Taiko remote, but I actually want to try and replicate your work as a side project.
Thing is, I know next to nothing about Arduino and the likes.
How do I go about making my own Tatacon to USB converter?
I'm prepared to learn whatever it takes.
Pendual
is this tatacon only? would this work on the wii fight stick?
karterfreak
Safe assumption that this doesn't work for the wii fight stick. May want to look into a different converter for that.
Stalzak
I just hoped on the taiko train, this seems really nice ~ Any updates on the refill ?

And since nobody ever asked ima ask here : can it work without installing Chrome - and ever better, can it be customised without using the Chrome app ? My toaster laptop's burning at 60°C without anything launched, so I'm not too keen on installing new softwares on top of that.
Aasheda_
is dis legit ??
cuz imma buy it when i sack someone's money
Topic Starter
montymintypie
If I had a dollar for every missed 'new message' notification from the forums, I'd have... at least 6 dollars.

SugoiReborn wrote:

How do I go about making my own Tatacon to USB converter?
Arduino Leonardo (for keyboard emulation), nunchuck adapter for arduino ($1 off ebay) and communicate via I2C to the nunchuck. You can even use my code, just as long as you hook it up to the right pins.

Stalzak wrote:

I just hoped on the taiko train, this seems really nice ~ Any updates on the refill ?

And since nobody ever asked ima ask here : can it work without installing Chrome - and ever better, can it be customised without using the Chrome app ? My toaster laptop's burning at 60°C without anything launched, so I'm not too keen on installing new softwares on top of that.
Refill coming ~soon~, waiting for my PCB fab to ship. You do need the Chrome app to configure things, but can uninstall it once you do, since it remembers the settings.

Omenasai wrote:

is dis legit ??
110$% legit, I've almost sold 100!

Oh, and sorry to crush the colourful people, but the next batch will be black only (unless you 3D print your own case). I've had ongoing issues with getting parcels out on time, and I don't like being that guy. Making them all black lets me pre-print everything for massive gains in shipment speed.
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Far longer than promised, but back in stock! And $5 discount for the next month.
Rhythm1996
USB adapter came in today. Works great! I have a question more so about osu. Is there any way to lower the sensitivity of drum hits? Because I feel like I have to hit really hard on the drum for it to register hits.
Topic Starter
montymintypie
If it's an official drum, use this mod. If it's a chinese clone, you just have to hit harder :\
Rhythm1996

montymintypie wrote:

If it's an official drum, use this mod. If it's a chinese clone, you just have to hit harder :\
Yes, it's an official drum. Thanks for the link! Definitely going to look into this.
_pulseR
Does all knockoff tatacon were made the same design? the official drum is very pricey :(

thinking of buying a knockoff since there is no way i can afford the official ones..

oh btw, is the discount still available? :3 /cheapskate
Topic Starter
montymintypie

_pulseR wrote:

Does all knockoff tatacon were made the same design? the official drum is very pricey :(

thinking of buying a knockoff since there is no way i can afford the official ones..

oh btw, is the discount still available? :3 /cheapskate

2 months late, I'm afraid. Knockoff is all the same (as far as I can tell) - design is simple and playable, you just have to hit don a little hard. And noisy. But it works well!
_pulseR

montymintypie wrote:

2 months late, I'm afraid. Knockoff is all the same (as far as I can tell) - design is simple and playable, you just have to hit don a little hard. And noisy. But it works well!

aww that sucks :( very new to taiko like a few days old lol. got bored with mania and decided to try something new. but I have always been fascinated with taiko drums! (the arcade)

i see. well guess i will only get to play during the day then if i were to get it

oh btw, may i know which type of knockoff drum do you own?

is it this kind
http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Taiko-No-Tat ... xyn~pR29U5

or this one?
http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Drum-Set-for ... Swax5YxrV3
Topic Starter
montymintypie

_pulseR wrote:

oh btw, may i know which type of knockoff drum do you own?
The second one
_pulseR

montymintypie wrote:

The second one
got it. btw any idea how long will it take to courier the converter to malaysia? :D
Topic Starter
montymintypie

_pulseR wrote:

got it. btw any idea how long will it take to courier the converter to malaysia? :D
if you're lucky, 1.5 weeks. If not, 2-3.
_pulseR

montymintypie wrote:

if you're lucky, 1.5 weeks. If not, 2-3.
got it. thanks!
giopde1ste
Are they gonna be in stock again? When I tried to buy one it said it was out of stock
Topic Starter
montymintypie

giopde1ste wrote:

Are they gonna be in stock again? When I tried to buy one it said it was out of stock
Oof, very sorry about not updating the website - more stock in 2 weeks (hopefully less)
show more