forum

HR practicing routine

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sancteria
since my ass is boosted like crazy (oh people I am so famous now -.-), I wanted to start using a main mod.

Duo DT is for spammers and those who boost theirselves with maps below 65% accuracy, I´ve chosen HR.

Problem is, I can´t start practicing HR with the 5 star maps I am currently playing, so I gonna try the 4 star maps instead, but I am also afraid that I gonna lose my speed and stuff which I need to solve 5 star maps if I focus HR for some weeks now.

So, here the question:

Does it make sense to practice like 50:50, 1 hour HR and then 1 hour NoMod 5 stars, or could it be more usefull to only focus HR and come back to 5 stars after I got used to play HR well?

I hope you guys can offer some answers which make sense.

Keep boosting!!! (still not funny)
winber1
you might as well throw ramen on your keyboard if you aren't going to think through it yourself
E m i
routine: play hr
i like ar9.8
Heterozygous_old

winber1 wrote:

you might as well throw ramen on your keyboard if you aren't going to think through it yourself

Wikipedia wrote:

Not to be confused with Instant noodles.
OT: I'll say practicing the two at the same time would be better, but the portion depends.
chainpullz
If you can't read HR on the maps you can read nomod then your reading sucks and playing anything more difficult than the mentioned easier maps will probably just hurt your reading in the end. Practicing reading with nomod can actually help you read AR10 (note, my definition of reading is heavily tied to reaction to audio stimulus as opposed to reaction to visual stimulus which I will simply refer to as reacting).

If you jump into AR10 on maps and can only play them by reacting to the new approach rate then you will only get better at reacting and your reading will deteriorate. Then whenever you go back to a slower AR you will have to relearn how to read or recalibrate your reacting.

If you simply learn AR10 by improving your reading you can seamlessly switch between approach rates (ie. WWW). You are less likely to fall back on reacting both on easier maps and on slower approach rates so it is recommended that you not rush into faster AR/harder maps.
kevpwns

chainpullz wrote:

If you can't read HR on the maps you can read nomod then your reading sucks and playing anything more difficult than the mentioned easier maps will probably just hurt your reading in the end. Practicing reading with nomod can actually help you read AR10 (note, my definition of reading is heavily tied to reaction to audio stimulus as opposed to reaction to visual stimulus which I will simply refer to as reacting).

If you jump into AR10 on maps and can only play them by reacting to the new approach rate then you will only get better at reacting and your reading will deteriorate. Then whenever you go back to a slower AR you will have to relearn how to read or recalibrate your reacting.

If you simply learn AR10 by improving your reading you can seamlessly switch between approach rates (ie. WWW). You are less likely to fall back on reacting both on easier maps and on slower approach rates so it is recommended that you not rush into faster AR/harder maps.
TL:DR your reading sucks, play DT
Gumpy
My routine died since I can't play standard for a week or so.
tokaku
I recommend getting your nomod skills better to the point where you are satisfied with it (where it's pretty good) before starting on hr
cheezstik
I'd recommend playing HR on harder hards to easy insanes (AR8+ OD6+ CS4+) at that level. If you can't easily maintain 90%+ accuracy and find yourself mashing, then it is too hard. The higher the accuracy you can maintain on the song without it being too boringly easy for you, then the better it is for training accuracy. If you can find some harder stuff with complex patterns, then that will help you get used to reading AR9.8+. Also, make sure to play some AR9 or lower stuff every now and then so you don't get too used to AR9.8+ to the point where you can't read lower AR anymore.
B1rd
don't worry, you don't lose speed for playing slow maps. I think you shouldn't look down too much on DT, speed is important. your accuracy isn't bad now, I'd say it might be a better priority to try and maintain that accuracy while FCing harder maps.

you should spend about 30% of your time playing hard rock if you want to learn it. Start on easy sub 4 star maps, and basically you just need to keep retrying the same song until you can get full combo's with good accuracy. then move onto another one, etc etc until you start getting better at sight reading HR. Here are a couple of easy HR maps. (you'll need to find ones to practice triples and streams as well though) https://osu.ppy.sh/b/313213?m=0 https://osu.ppy.sh/s/57393
UnknownPlayer
yeah, hvick, sayounara, rafis are all DT spammers, so sad ;( !
Bauxe
Why does everyone feel the need to force themselves into some sort of routine? "I'll play 30 minutes of DoubleTime, then 1 and a half hours of hardrock, and finally another 30 minutes of doubletime!"

Instead just mix it all together. Schedules aren't going to make the game fun.
chainpullz

Bauxe wrote:

Why does everyone feel the need to force themselves into some sort of routine? "I'll play 30 minutes of DoubleTime, then 1 and a half hours of hardrock, and finally another 30 minutes of doubletime!"

Basically this.
otoed1

Bauxe wrote:

Some people feel better about themselves if they have a schedule. I would never do that, but no need to judge them.
Bauxe

otoed1 wrote:

Some people feel better about themselves if they have a schedule. I would never do that, but no need to judge them.
Feel better for what?

If its for something like homework from school, or learning something, or work, yeah a schedule makes sense. But for playing a game, that's just taking all the fun out of it. It makes no sense what so ever.
B1rd

Bauxe wrote:

otoed1 wrote:

Feel better for what?
If its for something like homework from school, or learning something, or work, yeah a schedule makes sense. But for playing a game, that's just taking all the fun out of it. It makes no sense what so ever.
You're just making an assumption on how other people enjoy their games; you can't make absolute statements about things that are based on people's personal tendencies. Some people might have fun by using a schedule to steadily work towards their goals at getting better at the game.
cheezstik

Bauxe wrote:

otoed1 wrote:

Feel better for what?

Some people have fun in games by improving, so this could be his way of having fun.

Some people also like children so this way of thinking isn't that farfetch'd.

Edit: Ninja'd
Bauxe

B1rd wrote:

You're just making an assumption on how other people enjoy their games; you can't make absolute statements about things that are based on people's personal tendencies. Some people might have fun by using a schedule to steadily work towards their goals at getting better at the game.
Except these schedules don't make you better than simply playing a mixture of them. In fact, I would argue that mixing it up more will help you reach goals than working on them one at a time.
cheezstik

Bauxe wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Except these schedules don't make you better than simply playing a mixture of them. In fact, I would argue that mixing it up more will help you reach goals than working on them one at a time.
Then maybe he doesn't actually have fun by improving or reaching goals and has fun by having a schedule ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nyxa

winber1 wrote:

Believe it or not, this was the most useful piece of advice on this thread. Others could give you practice routines, sure, but in my experience I've found that the best practice routines for me are routines I come up with myself. When it comes to HR, all I can tell you is that it doesn't matter if you spam HR and fuck up your reading, because you can just undo that by spamming EZ afterwards. I did that - not on purpose, but after enough HR I could only read AR10, and after enough DT only 10.3 (shitty as it may sound, even AR10 felt too "slow" for me after a week of straight 10.3). Then a reasonably high ranked player told me that I should just play EZ to read higher ARs better. I spammed EZ as well and now I can read pretty much anything between AR4 and 10.3, though I still suck more at lower ARs but do better on them than most players I know.

Also, in regards to Bauxe - I agree with B1rd and cheezstik that you really should just leave people to enjoy the game in the way they want to. People always act like I'm some sort of heathen because I like to retry maps often, because "it's not fun and it's a cheap way at getting a good score". Besides the fact that there's no cheap way of getting a good score that doesn't involve hacks or cheating, if I find it fun, I don't really see what the issue is.

tl;dr practice yourself and Bauxe stop being a stick in the mud
cheezstik

Tess wrote:

Bauxe stop being a stick in the mud
Googled stick in the mud, was not disappointed.

Bauxe

Tess wrote:

Also, in regards to Bauxe - I agree with B1rd and cheezstik that you really should just leave people to enjoy the game in the way they want to. People always act like I'm some sort of heathen because I like to retry maps often, because "it's not fun and it's a cheap way at getting a good score". Besides the fact that there's no cheap way of getting a good score that doesn't involve hacks or cheating, if I find it fun, I don't really see what the issue is.

tl;dr practice yourself and Bauxe stop being a stick in the mud
Ay, it seems like most people who force themselves into routines quit the game much quicker.
byfar
better quit than suffer as the wise man once said
Xilver15
buny

Xilver15 wrote:

Getting yourself to spam EZ after spamming HR is harder than you think. Besides, randomly mashing on EZ maps isn't going to improve your reading.
it's not randomly mashing, it's strategically calculated mashing

in all honesty though, I still think the "boosted" technique is the dumbest thing I've ever read
Bauxe

buny wrote:

in all honesty though, I still think the "boosted" technique is the dumbest thing I've ever read
For G&R, that really is something.
byfar

buny wrote:

Xilver15 wrote:

Getting yourself to spam EZ after spamming HR is harder than you think. Besides, randomly mashing on EZ maps isn't going to improve your reading.

not really lol
Saphirshroom

byfar wrote:

better quit than suffer as the wise man once said
You're confusing wise with dead people.
Nyxa

Bauxe wrote:

Ay, it seems like most people who force themselves into routines quit the game much quicker.
Then it's those people you're referring to as people who don't have fun with routines, and in that scenario, you're right. We're talking about enjoyment though.
Bauxe

Tess wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

Then it's those people you're referring to as people who don't have fun with routines, and in that scenario, you're right. We're talking about enjoyment though.
What?
chainpullz
Apparently people don't understand the idea of generalized statements...
buny

Tess wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

fun is synonymous to enjoyment lol
Nyxa
I meant that I was talking about >enjoyment< and not about routines of themselves.
Green Platinum
Think Bauxe is trying to get at by making a schedule you are essentially forcing osu to become a menial task.

Even if you feel like playing a specific map because your schedule dictates now you have to work on DT or whatever, you are stuck playing with a likely pretty small map pool, rather than having the freedom to pick what you feel like at the moment and playing for the fun of it rather than for some extrinsic goal. But I guess some people enjoy that limitation based on the overall success of map recommendation bots etc.