HR practicing routine

posted
Total Posts
34
show more
Bauxe

otoed1 wrote:

Some people feel better about themselves if they have a schedule. I would never do that, but no need to judge them.
Feel better for what?

If its for something like homework from school, or learning something, or work, yeah a schedule makes sense. But for playing a game, that's just taking all the fun out of it. It makes no sense what so ever.
B1rd

Bauxe wrote:

otoed1 wrote:

Some people feel better about themselves if they have a schedule. I would never do that, but no need to judge them.
Feel better for what?
If its for something like homework from school, or learning something, or work, yeah a schedule makes sense. But for playing a game, that's just taking all the fun out of it. It makes no sense what so ever.
You're just making an assumption on how other people enjoy their games; you can't make absolute statements about things that are based on people's personal tendencies. Some people might have fun by using a schedule to steadily work towards their goals at getting better at the game.
cheezstik

Bauxe wrote:

otoed1 wrote:

Some people feel better about themselves if they have a schedule. I would never do that, but no need to judge them.
Feel better for what?

If its for something like homework from school, or learning something, or work, yeah a schedule makes sense. But for playing a game, that's just taking all the fun out of it. It makes no sense what so ever.
Some people have fun in games by improving, so this could be his way of having fun.

Some people also like children so this way of thinking isn't that farfetch'd.

Edit: Ninja'd
Bauxe

B1rd wrote:

You're just making an assumption on how other people enjoy their games; you can't make absolute statements about things that are based on people's personal tendencies. Some people might have fun by using a schedule to steadily work towards their goals at getting better at the game.
Except these schedules don't make you better than simply playing a mixture of them. In fact, I would argue that mixing it up more will help you reach goals than working on them one at a time.
cheezstik

Bauxe wrote:

B1rd wrote:

You're just making an assumption on how other people enjoy their games; you can't make absolute statements about things that are based on people's personal tendencies. Some people might have fun by using a schedule to steadily work towards their goals at getting better at the game.
Except these schedules don't make you better than simply playing a mixture of them. In fact, I would argue that mixing it up more will help you reach goals than working on them one at a time.
Then maybe he doesn't actually have fun by improving or reaching goals and has fun by having a schedule ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nyxa

winber1 wrote:

you might as well throw ramen on your keyboard if you aren't going to think through it yourself
Believe it or not, this was the most useful piece of advice on this thread. Others could give you practice routines, sure, but in my experience I've found that the best practice routines for me are routines I come up with myself. When it comes to HR, all I can tell you is that it doesn't matter if you spam HR and fuck up your reading, because you can just undo that by spamming EZ afterwards. I did that - not on purpose, but after enough HR I could only read AR10, and after enough DT only 10.3 (shitty as it may sound, even AR10 felt too "slow" for me after a week of straight 10.3). Then a reasonably high ranked player told me that I should just play EZ to read higher ARs better. I spammed EZ as well and now I can read pretty much anything between AR4 and 10.3, though I still suck more at lower ARs but do better on them than most players I know.

Also, in regards to Bauxe - I agree with B1rd and cheezstik that you really should just leave people to enjoy the game in the way they want to. People always act like I'm some sort of heathen because I like to retry maps often, because "it's not fun and it's a cheap way at getting a good score". Besides the fact that there's no cheap way of getting a good score that doesn't involve hacks or cheating, if I find it fun, I don't really see what the issue is.

tl;dr practice yourself and Bauxe stop being a stick in the mud
cheezstik

Tess wrote:

Bauxe stop being a stick in the mud
Googled stick in the mud, was not disappointed.

Bauxe

Tess wrote:

Also, in regards to Bauxe - I agree with B1rd and cheezstik that you really should just leave people to enjoy the game in the way they want to. People always act like I'm some sort of heathen because I like to retry maps often, because "it's not fun and it's a cheap way at getting a good score". Besides the fact that there's no cheap way of getting a good score that doesn't involve hacks or cheating, if I find it fun, I don't really see what the issue is.

tl;dr practice yourself and Bauxe stop being a stick in the mud
Ay, it seems like most people who force themselves into routines quit the game much quicker.
byfar
better quit than suffer as the wise man once said
Xilver15
.
buny

Xilver15 wrote:

Getting yourself to spam EZ after spamming HR is harder than you think. Besides, randomly mashing on EZ maps isn't going to improve your reading.
it's not randomly mashing, it's strategically calculated mashing



in all honesty though, I still think the "boosted" technique is the dumbest thing I've ever read
Bauxe

buny wrote:

it's not randomly mashing, it's strategically calculated mashing



in all honesty though, I still think the "boosted" technique is the dumbest thing I've ever read
For G&R, that really is something.
byfar

buny wrote:

Xilver15 wrote:

Getting yourself to spam EZ after spamming HR is harder than you think. Besides, randomly mashing on EZ maps isn't going to improve your reading.
it's not randomly mashing, it's strategically calculated mashing



in all honesty though, I still think the "boosted" technique is the dumbest thing I've ever read
not really lol
Saphirshroom

byfar wrote:

better quit than suffer as the wise man once said
You're confusing wise with dead people.
Nyxa

Bauxe wrote:

Ay, it seems like most people who force themselves into routines quit the game much quicker.
Then it's those people you're referring to as people who don't have fun with routines, and in that scenario, you're right. We're talking about enjoyment though.
Bauxe

Tess wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

Ay, it seems like most people who force themselves into routines quit the game much quicker.
Then it's those people you're referring to as people who don't have fun with routines, and in that scenario, you're right. We're talking about enjoyment though.
What?
chainpullz
Apparently people don't understand the idea of generalized statements...
buny

Tess wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

Ay, it seems like most people who force themselves into routines quit the game much quicker.
Then it's those people you're referring to as people who don't have fun with routines, and in that scenario, you're right. We're talking about enjoyment though.
fun is synonymous to enjoyment lol
Nyxa
I meant that I was talking about >enjoyment< and not about routines of themselves.
Green Platinum
Think Bauxe is trying to get at by making a schedule you are essentially forcing osu to become a menial task.

Even if you feel like playing a specific map because your schedule dictates now you have to work on DT or whatever, you are stuck playing with a likely pretty small map pool, rather than having the freedom to pick what you feel like at the moment and playing for the fun of it rather than for some extrinsic goal. But I guess some people enjoy that limitation based on the overall success of map recommendation bots etc.
Please sign in to reply.

New reply