forum

Is OD over-rated?

posted
Total Posts
show more
silmarilen

Dexus wrote:

Star rating should be the main focus since that's how physically hard a map is; this is where 90% of pp should come from, but most of the time it's less than half of what gets accounted for.
actually, a 5 star map with od9 would have about 60-70% of it's pp come from speed and aim
the reason accuracy appears to make so much difference is because you already get close to max aim and speed just for fcing. every extra you add is from accuracy.
a 200pp score with 96% acc may give you 1pp while a 250pp score SS will give you 40, making it worth 40 times as much, even tho you only added 25% to the actual worth.

GoldenWolf wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

Yeah but it's a different type of OD increase, which is why a DT OD7 feels so much easier than a no mod OD8 , and same with DT OD8 and nomod OD9 etc.
not really no
the reason why DT feels easier is because the maps are techincally easier. they are more mapped to 1/2 notes and burst streams compared to maps on that difficulty with nomod. their difficulty (star rating) comes mostly from their speed.
in the end an od7+dt map is the same as an od9 map
x_Co0ki420ezi_x

B1rd wrote:

I made this thread to get the though of more experienced players on this matter.
Good players don't come on these shitty forums. All we have is dickheads and shitters.
E m i

thedamntrain wrote:

Good players don't come on these shitty forums. All we have is dickheads and shitters.
I read that in peppy's voice. Pretty interesting experience.
Almost

cheezstik wrote:

Yeah but it's a different type of OD increase, which is why a DT OD7 feels so much easier than a no mod OD8 , and same with DT OD8 and nomod OD9 etc.
That really depends on the map.
tfg50
Yes. I have a 214pp score in a 4.45 star map (that star is nomod) play with ar just because of the acc. The map is so easy that when I was testing if my pc can stream I fced it first try (less acc but I can just retry to get better acc) while I had my fps capped on 400 less fps than I'm used to.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/166452?m=0 99,50% acc with hr

Now when you look at nomod, I have a 1x100 932 combo in this https://osu.ppy.sh/b/130500?m=0 (DAT SLIDER T.T) and it is worth just 190 pp. IMO this score is WAY more impressive than that other one with hr. Even if i had got a SS on it, it wouldn't have given much more pp. 20x max. When you look at the OD guess what, it is OD7.....
winber1

thedamntrain wrote:

B1rd wrote:

I made this thread to get the though of more experienced players on this matter.
and all the good players aren't helpful anymore ahahaheahaaeahahaeaha
GoldenWolf

tfg50 wrote:

Yes. I have a 214pp score in a 4.45 star map (that star is nomod) play with ar just because of the acc. The map is so easy that when I was testing if my pc can stream I fced it first try (less acc but I can just retry to get better acc) while I had my fps capped on 400 less fps than I'm used to.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/166452?m=0 99,50% acc with hr

Now when you look at nomod, I have a 1x100 932 combo in this https://osu.ppy.sh/b/130500?m=0 (DAT SLIDER T.T) and it is worth just 190 pp. IMO this score is WAY more impressive than that other one with hr. Even if i had got a SS on it, it wouldn't have given much more pp. 20x max. When you look at the OD guess what, it is OD7.....
"ermargerd I get more rewarded being accurate on OD9.8 than OD7!!!"
Gumpy

[ Momiji ] wrote:

thedamntrain wrote:

I read that in peppy's voice. Pretty interesting experience.
what does peppy sound like?
chainpullz

winber1 wrote:

have you tried or ever gotten good accuracy on od10

like bro that shit is hard

shit son
Binwer with the endless words of wisdom.
tfg50

GoldenWolf wrote:

When you look at the difficulty of the maps it is a big difference indeed... 4.7 stars vs 5.5 stars
GoldenWolf

tfg50 wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

When you look at the difficulty of the maps it is a big difference indeed... 4.7 stars vs 5.5 stars
it might be rated as a 5.5 star map, but the only reson it's rated so high is solely because of that deathstream, which is actually easy because of how compressed it is, it takes no aim at all, just mash your keys since it's OD7 and you just magically SS'd a 128 circles stream.
Topic Starter
B1rd

Bauxe wrote:

osu! is a rhythm game, not a go fast game.
it's a fast game under the pretense of being a rhythm game.
tfg50

It is still 5.14 stars after completely removing the deathstream and that is much harder than getting 99,00% acc on that 4.7 star map while being worth about 50-60% pp.

Well, the difficulty of those 2 scores are indeed very different and the only way to measure that kind of stuff better is with something more like the tp system (measuring aim/speed/acc separately). So until pp goes into that direction acc players will say that acc is overrated.
[-Cloud-]

winber1 wrote:

thedamntrain wrote:

and all the good players aren't helpful anymore ahahaheahaaeahahaeaha
I don't know any good player who isn't helpful.
silmarilen

tfg50 wrote:

Well, the difficulty of those 2 scores are indeed very different and the only way to measure that kind of stuff better is with something more like the tp system (measuring aim/speed/acc separately). So until pp goes into that direction acc players will say that acc is overrated.
that's exactly what it does, it's just not visible for us.
byfar
Honestly without the OD increase, HR would be far easier than it is now. Like a LOT

Playing well on high OD isn't is as easy as it seems, so I think the pp gain for high OD is perfectly reasonable

Osu is purely a rhythm game. Being able to aim and time your tapping accurately is a skill
Kittles
If anything od is underrated and dt is overrated. However, accuracy on dt is still harder than no mod (for example od 8 dt is way more difficult than od 9 no mod, in most cases) except for the fact that you can get tons of pp with low accuracy from a dt that has a way high star difficulty than it should.
tfg50

silmarilen wrote:

tfg50 wrote:

well... not exactly. TP had rankings on each category as well as everything together. PP has just the one with everything mixed up.
chainpullz
CS5.2 isn't that bad and AR10 is a joke so HR basically is just the OD increase (unless you are an aim god and play HR on cs5 maps).
timemon

chainpullz wrote:

CS5.2 isn't that bad and AR10 is a joke so HR basically is just the OD increase (unless you are an aim god and play HR on cs5 maps).
AR10 is no joke. I literally freeze when I play HR. CS5.2 is super hard for me, imagine koigokoro DT but with CS5.2. I would miss everywhere.
tokaku

chainpullz wrote:

I want to disagree with this so much but it's so true at the same time
chainpullz

timemon wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

AR10 is no joke. I literally freeze when I play HR. CS5.2 is super hard for me, imagine koigokoro DT but with CS5.2. I would miss everywhere.
I have no sympathy for greedy DT farmers.
Topic Starter
B1rd
are you joking? otherwise that'd make you a hypocrite.
chainpullz

B1rd wrote:

are you joking? otherwise that'd make you a hypocrite.
I play DT maybe once every 10 days. All of my DT scores are fairly easy maps. DT happens to be over-rated for easier maps and thus my top ranks happen to be DT. When I'm messing around and playing DT and I get a really good score, I feel inclined to spend a few retries trying to get a fc. It's been like 2 months since I've actually farmed DT. Pretty much anything in my top ranks that is more recent has been replaying maps I've already fc'd to improve accuracy. In fact you'll notice most of the recent stuff in my top ranks is HR.

More to the point, I have never complained about freezing up on AR10 maps so I don't see how I could be a hypocrite here.
cheezstik

chainpullz wrote:

timemon wrote:

I don't know if you're just messing around or seriously trying to put down people that use DT, but really, half of the top 100 (probably more like 80+% but I can't be bothered checking) mainly use DT, so can we really look down upon the top players? And if you're going to say "but they're actually good unlike us", then you could say the same about HR, or even no-mod players that aren't in the top 100, cos that would basically be looking down upon people for not being good in general, and in a couple years from now when people are at 12k+ PP, our top players now could be looked down upon in the same way by the new top players going by that logic.
Topic Starter
B1rd

chainpullz wrote:

More to the point, I have never complained about freezing up on AR10 maps so I don't see how I could be a hypocrite here.
you're a hypocrite because you accuse people of farming when you have farm ranks yourself.

but your actual error is using the term 'DT farming' which pretty much implies that all DT and anyone who plays it are 'farmers'. It seems you have a thing for judging people inferior for their top ranks or playing what they like to play, which is just the wrong attitude.
tokaku

chainpullz wrote:

I think you mean that he just sucks at the game.
chainpullz
The difference between subject A and those people you are talking about is those people A) don't complain about freezing up on AR10, and B) don't compare cs5.2 at 1.0x speed to cs5.2 at 1.5x speed. My definition of DT farmer is someone who undeservedly got their rank and did it by abusing the overweightedness of DT. 2 months ago when I farmed DT to get my rank, I was undeserving of it. Fast forward 2 months and I now believe I do actually deserve to be where I am based on recent improvement. I'd like to think I've graduated from being a DT farmer.

So more or less this:

tokaku wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

I think you mean that he just sucks at the game.
cheezstik

chainpullz wrote:

The difference between subject A and those people you are talking about is those people A) don't complain about freezing up on AR10, and B) don't compare cs5.2 at 1.0x speed to cs5.2 at 1.5x speed. My definition of DT farmer is someone who undeservedly got their rank and did it by abusing the overweightedness of DT. 2 months ago when I farmed DT to get my rank, I was undeserving of it. Fast forward 2 months and I now believe I do actually deserve to be where I am based on recent improvement. I'd like to think I've graduated from being a DT farmer.
DT remote control (current highest top pp song) is still overweighted though, DT as a whole is still overweighted for most maps.

It's not that "DT farmers" don't deserve their rank, it's that they are closer to their max potential rank compared to their skill than others that play no-mod or HR are, they aren't overrated, others are just underrated. If they really didn't deserve their rank, they wouldn't be there, it's not their fault, and they shouldn't be labelled as overrated or put down just because others can't or don't care about getting to a higher rank where they deserve to be, just because the PP system overweights DT.

It's the same as people that don't care about PP at all and don't bother retrying for FC's, They could be where others are if they actually went for FC's (in the other case DT), but they don't, and that doesn't make people that FC overrated, it just makes them underrated.

If you could be at a higher rank by playing these easy DT maps, then do it, otherwise don't complain about others being where they don't deserve to be, if you just don't feel like getting that rank.
timemon
DT is like no mod but with more pp!!!!!111!!!
f i z i k

B1rd wrote:

Look at the grossly disproportionate pp gotten from Scarlet Rose and Big Black FCs for example.
Those maps are 90% sliders and Tom said somewhere that he can't fix those kind of maps without doing huge changes or something like that
chainpullz
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The people who cite that things such as aim or reading are hard because they can't do them and continue to claim they are a good player and cite one of the most recognized over weighted DR farm maps don't deserve sympathy.

To repeat what someone else already said, I am calling this specific person bad and establishing my belief that if you choose to farm DT over getting good at the game then you have no right to complain and should accept that you are simply bad at the game.

Also I have yet to complain about people farming DT in this thread. If you read my posts objectively you will find no complaints; merely opinions.

Let's stop taking things completely out of context.
cheezstik
Yeah my bad then, didn't realize you meant this specific person in general, thought you were generalizing all DT players. To be fair, you did make a thread suggesting it before.
Tokiwadai
When I read threads like these, I wonder to myself if I'm one of the only people who don't farm DT maps...(except one huehuehue)
timemon

chainpullz wrote:

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The people who cite that things such as aim or reading are hard because they can't do them and continue to claim they are a good player and cite one of the most recognized over weighted DR farm maps don't deserve sympathy.

To repeat what someone else already said, I am calling this specific person bad and establishing my belief that if you choose to farm DT over getting good at the game then you have no right to complain and should accept that you are simply bad at the game.

Also I have yet to complain about people farming DT in this thread. If you read my posts objectively you will find no complaints; merely opinions.

Let's stop taking things completely out of context.
How do you know that I don't play HR? I'm bad at HR but I also play it from time to time.
I'm getting better at the game. I maybe slow but I won't stop. You can quote me on that.
silmarilen

tfg50 wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

well... not exactly. TP had rankings on each category as well as everything together. PP has just the one with everything mixed up.
that's true, but in the end the main ranking was for the combined tp.
i think i also read somewhere that once they show the seperate aim/speed/acc values for pp they will also try to make it so you can sort by those stats, but im not 100% if i actually read it and didnt just make it up.
[-Cloud-]
plz enjoy game