forum

Poll 23: Price of supporter

posted
Total Posts

Are you okay with a slight supporter price increase?

I am fine with the new pricing.
77.21%
No. I will stop supporting osu!.
14.44%
I'm okay with an increase, but this is too much.
8.35%
Total votes: 1413
Polling ended
show more
Stefan

Jerry Scarlet wrote:

But...I think supporter is just a donator,not a buyer
Damn, how I want to read this over and over and over and over again because it's one of the smartest things I've read in the last months.

On-Topic: The increase is pretty good and acceptable, honestly wouldn't mind to go even on 5.50~6 dollar but I think we stick on five and everyone is happy.
Sieg
nah... one more dollar, totally fine
Bauxe

Zare wrote:

(Also, "the revenue I am making is decreasing"? Please, the amount of supporters is rising like mad as the amount of players is growing, you are bound to have earned more over the years than the inflation could make up for)
Pretty sure it leads to more costs for resources though.
Pannari
I'm perfectly with the increase. As long as this is not going to lead to supporter prices steadily rising.
Karuta-_old_1
This is not marketing so I am going to calculate this based on the donor point of view

------------------------------------------------------------------cost per day-----------------------change in cost per day
1 month $4 -> $5 ($5/month) ------------------------- 0.133 to 0.167/day---------------3.4 cents per day
4 months $12 -> $15 ($3.75/month) ------------------ 0.1 to 0.125/day-----------------2.5 cents per day
6 months $16 -> 18 ($3/month) --------------------- 0.089 to 0.1/day-----------------1.1 cents per day
8 months $20 -> $22 ($2.75/month) ----------------- 0.083 to 0.092/day--------------0.9 cents per day
10 months $24 -> $26 ($2.6/month) ------------------ 0.08 to 0.087/day---------------0.7 cents per day
12 months $26 -> $28 ($2.33/month) ---------------- 0.072 to 0.078/day--------------0.6 cents per day

I am okay with this, the difference isn't really that big

It would be better if the increase for 1 month is lower, not many people really have the money to pay for 4 months and more
something around $4.75 would be more feasible

Also, "the revenue I am making is decreasing"? Please, the amount of supporters is rising like mad as the amount of players is growing, you are bound to have earned more over the years than the inflation could make up for
Pretty sure it leads to more costs for resources though.
Osu! has changed alot since 2012, I am not surprised to see this. The competitiveness of this game tells you how the community has grown. Back then there wasn't many players who make it to the top 50 with mods other than HD. And people were not that eager to participate in tournaments either
Muv Acid
yes! do it c:
~offtopic
mobile paymentis broken for my country (at least for me) and sms as well..
Renegade Zac
If you need to increase the prices that's fine, it's not even going up much so I'm perfectly fine with it.
khan119
No I will definitely stop supporting osu for that extra dollar you are so greedy peppy wow
Harold Miner
If price changed,I think people who support this game should have more interesting items,change username twice sounds good.
Keepu
I understand the need for an increase in revenue, however most people overreact to even a slight increase in cost (asking on a forum isn't exactly unbiased), possibly resulting in a decrease in revenue. I suggest you simply advertise supporter more, such as putting a "support osu!" Button on the opening page above the link to the site. This button would link to the buying supporter page on the website or if you wanted perfect integration the button could link within the client itself.

Demand curve:

with an increase in demand as you can see, the increase in demand would increase, but the price would not increase because you have infinite supply of supporter to give. therefore increase in revenue (area under dotted line = revenue). You could also increase demand through other means such as increases supporter perks.

what is being proposed, an increase in price alone is more likely to give these results.

As you can see the increase in price of supporter results in a decrease in demand and the profits are likely to remain about the same. (again, area under dotted line = revenue)

Tl;dr I believe if you simply increase demand through advertising, profits would be greater than simply increasing the price of supporter a slight amount.
Anadyomene
1 dollar, no big deal.
Heterozygous_old
I did vote for "no I won't support", but that was based on something like
note that they are not donations; osu! is not a charity.
that peppy said weeks before.
I thought that to support osu! means to give money to peppy just to help running this free-to-play game without expecting anything in return, and peppy offer some minor convenience just because of thankfulness.
However, the claim peppy made above sounds like he thinks that supporter is actually a product for sale, which makes me feel like being cheated. That's basically why I voted for stop paying.

If I was misinterpreting what he said, and the nature of supporting osu! is not donation, nor product for sale either, then I apologize for such misunderstanding and I'll keep supporting without hesitate.
exeNeko

Mazo Ketsui wrote:

The increase is fine, I would have only spent that extra dollar or two on Riot Points anyway.

same here ... the 4 $ r kinda unique but its not a big deal if u want to increase it a bit ...
for me its anyway not about the benefits at all ... they r neat and nice but not essential for the game .. i support when there is a good option and i have some money left ... the better if there are some benefits ... of course :3
oOFrostOo
i wont be buying supporter anytime soon because im broke anyways, so i dont really care
xasuma
I dont mind the new pricing. But I think if implemented, perhaps a new perk should be added with it too. (i dont know what, something small) , which might make it a little better on people's eyes.
SomeLoli
It's 64p
Around 2p per day.

What's with the need to add new perks, or be disgruntled over 2p. Kind of funny really.
Bauxe

Heterozygous wrote:

I did vote for "no I won't support", but that was based on something like
note that they are not donations; osu! is not a charity.
that peppy said weeks before.
I thought that to support osu! means to give money to peppy just to help running this free-to-play game without expecting anything in return, and peppy offer some minor convenience just because of thankfulness.
However, the claim peppy made above sounds like he thinks that supporter is actually a product for sale, which makes me feel like being cheated. That's basically why I voted for stop paying.

If I was misinterpreting what he said, and the nature of supporting osu! is not donation, nor product for sale either, then I apologize for such misunderstanding and I'll keep supporting without hesitate.
He never said it was a product. It isn't a donation because osu! isn't some kind of charity.

The idea is you are paying for supporter to help support the game. The servers to run the game, the staff, even peppy's life are not free.
Kotori_Oshi
Not that big of an increase really...
stvncenz
This is actually a good thing for osu!
unko
if you give me free supporter for life then sure i don't care
Yonaton
If it will help the development i'm all in!
Dazdy_old
If I get told people love me for it it helps this great game and community grow, then I'm all for it, even though my supporter was gifted to me and I can't afford it myself.
Heterozygous_old

Bauxe wrote:

He never said it was a product. It isn't a donation because osu! isn't some kind of charity.

The idea is you are paying for supporter to help support the game. The servers to run the game, the staff, even peppy's life are not free.
Confirmed I was biased then. I apologize for such a fuss.
Jako87
I assume that higher prices in shorter supporter tags are mostly because of the payment fees (paypal etc) are relatively higher in smaller payments.

If that is so it would be fun to buy some supporter tag in to a "storage". Then you could give one mont of supporter tag to a friend who occasionally plays osu with lower price.

This was just an idea. No hard feelings.
Therieri
Even though prices are going higher in my opinion these are still really cheap in my opinion. So it's not problem for me.
RagingAlien
Honestly, I don't mind a price increase at all. It's already amazingly cheap as it is, especially if you buy it for 1 year. An increase of less than 1 dollar per month is almost negligible.
lolbob
I understand the need for an increase in revenue, however most people overreact to even a slight increase in cost, possibly resulting in a decrease in revenue. I suggest you simply advertise supporter more, such as putting a "support osu!" Button on the opening page above the link to the site. This button would link to the buying supporter page on the website or if you wanted perfect integration the button could link within the client itself.
supply-Demand curve with an increase in demand here as you can see, the increase in demand would increase, but the price would not increase because you have infinate supply of supporter to give. therefore increase in revenue (area under curve = revenue).
what is being proposed, an increase in price alone is more likely to give these results here. As you can see the increase in price of supporter results in a decrease in demand and the profits are likely to remain about the same. (again, area under surve = revenue)
Tl;dr I believe if you simply increase demand through advertising profits would be greater than simply increasing the price of supporter a slight amount.
from reddit
[Infraviolet]
The price change is reasonable, would be really sad to see such a great game disappear :(
NinjaNick
I don't know. $2 could buy me a hot chocolate at Tim Hortons. I can't live without my daily timmies.
Kobi_old_1
I only support once in a blue moon anyway, because I'm a peasant. I can hardly complain about an extra ~64p when I de-scrooge.
lolbob makes a good point though. I think really it's about striking the right balance between different approaches.

Even if the price goes up, one month of osu!supporter is still cheaper than my caffeine fix :')
B1rd
where is the poll option for it being too cheap? I don't feel like I'm paying enough for how much I play :)
Wuxo
Im fine with it, VPS servers and other stuff isn't cheap.
I will get supporter oneday before 2015.
Cuenquero
Please, more payment methods for Argentina :( (Rapipago, Mobile Phone, etc)
RaneFire
Guess I'll just have to skip lunch once every few months to make up for the price change of supporter.

It's all good if you need it to make the game better.

I only have disdain for large money-sucking corporations who do practically nothing compared to how much revenue they make.
Flanster
If it means supporting the game, nobody should mind it :P
The price change is pretty small.
FrostedBeats
sure peppy, price seems fine -nibbles my cookie-
Top Bunk
With all the work that goes into osu!, people can spare an extra dollar to help keep such a great game running. I see no issues with it.

As for those saying to just "advertise" supporter more, I personally think that would only push people away. Nobody likes having "give me money now" buttons thrown at their face all the time. Everybody already knows supporting is a thing, it's easy to find and easy to do.
In terms of "revenue", the dollar increase isn't going to push people away unless they're real penny pinching cheapskates. And that's coming from someone who's a cheapskate as it is. Being someone who bought 2 years of a supporter just for the cheapest option in the long run (even though I could have settled with 1 year for the same long run outcome).

There was also something said about "infinite amount of supporter tags". While that may be true, there's only a finite amount of players, and those finite amount of players will likely wait until their supporter runs out before renewing it. So even with an "infinite" amount of supporter tags, players aren't going to support an "infinite" amount of times.
Even if some people stop supporting over a dollar, the quantity of supporters who continue to support with paying that extra dollar will still add up to a lot in the end to meet the costs needed to keep everything running smoothly.
Dear
If it helps to osu! I am willing to accept for the increase :).
Bladesu
You know the old saying
"When you throw more money at it it will get better!"
Well i just made that up but still.
RainbowIsKawaii
:?: :!: It voice this? a is your how? pls???? :|
show more