forum

Text support for storyboarding?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
Would any of you (m980) be interested in standardised text support built into storyboarding? As I have coded text skinning support for osu!, this would be a pretty quick addition and allow you to do text events like this:

7, layer, origin, "fontname", "i want to display this", x, y

This would be used like any other event (7 being type text).

To define the characters, you would use a filename format of

fontname-A.png
fontname-B.png
fontname-Z.png

You would only have to create sprites for the characters you use.

The question is - would this be worth implementing?
m980
That would be cool!

But it would seem kind of pointless, as the ouendan have spiky text boxes for their characters..
Topic Starter
peppy

m980 wrote:

But it would seem kind of pointless, as the ouendan have spiky text boxes for their characters..
True that. I guess you could just have one text box and resize it *_*. I've also been thinking about direction-independent resizing, so you can stretch in a single direction rather than always keeping the original aspect ratio.

I'll probably not have much time to look at this stuff until multiplayer is done, though.
Echo
I would prefer to have the entire text as an image, personally.
Aeon
well im posting with almost one year difference xD but who cares

i think it would be great for osu to support text as it would reduce in the ammount of work needed making png images in photoshop then importing to osu, in addition as a result of less images in the beatmap file size would be smaller as well

also being able to manipulate and transform the text would be great for custumization
Pasonia
-
Topic Starter
peppy
It may display as boxes on some systems depending on the language.

I personally think this is unnecessary and will make storyboards way too boring. osu! can only render text using MS fonts which are present on all systems, and it can't do much by the way of special effects. Lyrics are a separate issue (which already has an active feature req. thread) to this.
awp
what about creating a single image which is essentially an array of n by n pixel chunks that define the co-ordinates of a character? That way people could use the ascii blocks they don't care about (such as @#$%^&*) for special characters such as é or ñ or the like. osu! would just read a string of characters and go to the corresponding section of the image file to grab whatever is in that block and spit it out.
dumpsterdiver

awp wrote:

what about creating a single image which is essentially an array of n by n pixel chunks that define the co-ordinates of a character? That way people could use the ascii blocks they don't care about (such as @#$%^&*) for special characters such as é or ñ or the like. osu! would just read a string of characters and go to the corresponding section of the image file to grab whatever is in that block and spit it out.
Would work great for monospaced fonts, but more stylized fonts (which I assume would be wanted if you were going through all this trouble) would require defining the width of each character individually, as well as a universal overlap, so individual pngs for each character makes much more sense for non-monospaced (and would work for monospaced, too). The engine wouldn't necessarily be limited to English fonts; you could make an &.png that contains an eastern character. The only limitation would be the NUMBER of characters this engine supports. Seems like more work than it's worth anyway, since you'd have to type out all the damn characters anyway, why not type them into photoshop and save as a transparent png? The only real need for a custom font would be skinning text when you don't know exactly what will display. Many skins, I'm sure, could benefit from being able to skin fonts for player and song names in the main menu and on the scoreboard in this fashion. But honestly, it doesn't seem worth it to do storyboarding in the fashion since you already know what text you want to display (lyrics, etc.).
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
dumpsterdiver

awp wrote:

Yeah, same basic idea there, which I think was the original proposition. I've just only implemented a system like this on the DS and monospace was the (lazy) way to go so that's what I had on my mind.
I guess you didn't get the important parts of my post...

dumpsterdiver wrote:

Many skins, I'm sure, could benefit from being able to skin fonts for player and song names in the main menu and on the scoreboard in this fashion.

SKINS

SKINS
I want this really bad...