forum

Hard-Rock VS Doubletime

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
Hello people
I'm already hitting a wall and I don't even get any PP when I play no mod maps. I know it's time to start playing with HR or DT (or both o.O) but I really don't know which one should I pick.
Originally my speed was so bad I couldn't even stream 180bpm and I couldn't play any map above 200bpm. But since I started using DT to farm some rank my speed rapidly increased (after like 3 days of practice) and right now I'm able to FC some 250bpm Hard maps. My aim was always terrible and even now my aim sucks a lot. Only thing that I was good at is accuracy but that vanished as soon as I started playing DT (idk why but it messed my accuracy).
My old training routine was so bad but I didn't even realize that until recently, I was playing maps i couldn't pass at all (airman, let's go, disconnected, big black) etc, that seems to have given me some worst bad habits I can't get rid of. Right now I have a new practice routine (starting off easiest stuff and adding more speed later) and that seems to be a better option.
But I still can't decide on which mod should I pick. DT or HR. I personally like HR more, but I kinda have the speed for DT. I've been in this dilemma for so long now I just had to ask you guys. Oh, one more thing. Do I need to play with hidden? I have some troubles reading it (cuz I don't practice hidden at all) but I see no reason using hidden except if you want to make it to top50 on that specific map...

Thanks for reading this hope it wasn't a pain to read and answer thanks see ya
Vuelo Eluko
hard rock doesnt really do much for aim, it takes more than small circles to improve that. you might get a steadier cursor thats about it, to get better aim you need to play maps that force you to do longer or more complex movements and then start doing them properly. accuracy will get better though. most people play DT because it takes less effort than hard rock to get pp out of it.

personally id say dt, speed is the best skill in this game, and its satisfying when you start passing some fairly long 216 bpm streams you couldnt even touch a few months ago
Genki1000
You can still gain pp from nomod maps at your rank. Most of my top ranks are random nomod/HD Ss and As. If you can get 99% acc with DT, I'm pretty sure you can get 99% acc nomod too.
chainpullz
Hidden 98% gives roughly as much as 99% nomod. HR and DT can both destroy your ability to play without them. The key to learning either is to focus really hard on the music as opposed to frantically trying to hit all of the notes to get a fc. If you do this too much your ability to read anything else will start to deteriorate. Other than that it comes down to preference.

Side note:
DT maps that give a lot of pp tend to be shorter than the maps you have to play with HR for pp. Thus it's easier in a sense to get high pp fc's from spamming the map until the stars line up. I don't think this really is an issue until you break into the top 5 and start needing like 450+pp plays to pass the next highest player.
cheezstik

MiloSx7 wrote:

Do I need to play with hidden? I have some troubles reading it (cuz I don't practice hidden at all) but I see no reason using hidden except if you want to make it to top50 on that specific map...
No, there are many players in the top 1000 without using hidden, and some used to be top 100, such as pielak. Hidden would help reading in general, not just the top 50 map score, but I don't find the pp bonus worth learning it, not to mention unless you've completely mastered it, then your accuracy / consistency will still be slightly lower while playing HD anyway.
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
So basically speaking HR is harder but less rewarding.... Wat...
kevpwns

MiloSx7 wrote:

Not really, it really depends if you would rather focus on accurate play or speed mashing, most people lean to the mashing route
chainpullz
DT is easier to mash your way up to like rank 2k at which point most players hit a huge wall. HR will get you all the way into the top 100 without such a wall from what I can tell. DT still takes significant speed training though so it's not just free pp per say. HR is just overall difficult but in a sense its kind of like hidden. Once you get used to the increased CS/AR adding HR mostly just gives more room for good accuracy and mountains of pp for said accuracy.
RivenDaddy
Hard rock makes is it hard and Dubble time is just faster :D
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
DT players hit a wall? Well what should I say. I can't even play maps with HR that would give me some rank. And when I find such a map I can play and which gives me some PP accuracy 92% 0pp lol. My unstable rate is always around 110 but guess that's not enough for OD10
YukinoDesuDesu
DT here, DT there, DT everywhere
chainpullz

MiloSx7 wrote:

DT players hit a wall? Well what should I say. I can't even play maps with HR that would give me some rank. And when I find such a map I can play and which gives me some PP accuracy 92% 0pp lol. My unstable rate is always around 110 but guess that's not enough for OD10
110 unstable rate is fine. It sounds like you just are consistently too early or too late. If your 110 unstable rate was centered around perfect timing you would probably have at least 96% accuracy if not higher. I know a lot of 99% accuracy on OD10 is only like in the 80-100 UR range.
kevpwns

MiloSx7 wrote:

If you really want to be able to play HR well, you have to practice it a lot. You can't just jump into it expecting 99%. If it feels too fast, practice ar10 maps. If you have 110 unstable rate then you might be hitting the notes consistently but all a bit too late, or early.
cheezstik

MiloSx7 wrote:

Yep, exactly this, even at later ranks, you'll only hit a wall if you get low accuracy. The DT remote controls / Gimme Gimme / Rungran etc. speak for themselves, TheLewa, WWW, and Adamqs are the few I can think of that focus more on HR than DT. To make HR more rewarding than DT, you have to specialize in accuracy as opposed to speed, and that just isn't as easy or fun IMO, but if it suits you, play HR.
chainpullz

cheezstik wrote:

MiloSx7 wrote:

Yep, exactly this, even at later ranks, you'll only hit a wall if you get low accuracy. The DT remote controls / Gimme Gimme / Rungran etc. speak for themselves, TheLewa, WWW, and Adamqs are the few I can think of that focus more on HR than DT. To make HR more rewarding than DT, you have to specialize in accuracy as opposed to speed, and that just isn't as easy or fun IMO, but if it suits you, play HR.
These are literally fc's off players in the top 5. If you look down into players as high as like top 20 you don't need anywhere near that much pp from a play to hit those ranks.
cheezstik

chainpullz wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

These are literally fc's off players in the top 5. If you look down into players as high as like top 20 you don't need anywhere near that much pp from a play to hit those ranks.
My point was it's generally easier for them to do something like that than it is for them to HR Demetori, especially with accuracy as high as lewa.
nrl
good job
Yakuyan
Playing hidden is that mod where if you're good at it, or at least decent, then use it. (Gives a slight pp boost) Learning how to play HR will help you in the long run with PP because you can play shit beatmaps and get a lot of pp of it. DT is harder because speed is harder to improve but gives a huge PP boost. I find that its better to play HR as a main mod, but if you like DT more then play it (But limited amount of maps to play depending on skill level). That mod is probably the only reason why I'm still playing this game, its fun to use :D
Varetyr

TheBurningFlame wrote:

Playing hidden is that mod where if you're good at it, or at least decent, then use it. (Gives a slight pp boost) Learning how to play HR will help you in the long run with PP because you can play shit beatmaps and get a lot of pp of it. DT is harder because speed is harder to improve but gives a huge PP boost. I find that its better to play HR as a main mod, but if you like DT more then play it (But limited amount of maps to play depending on skill level). That mod is probably the only reason why I'm still playing this game, its fun to use :D
What the fu-

@OP : Why not both ? You won't reach the finest of the melodies by only playing the same note over and over again.
You can still become the next DTvid Guetta though, it's up to you, just play whatever you think is fun to play.

There are plenty of well-rounded players out there, as well as HR only / DT only, HD addicts etc...

I'd just advise you to try to be as well-rounded as possible, however if you're not planning to play OWC or anything, most people won't care anyway, just play what is fun to you.
RaneFire
If you're not sure what to do, you'll probably have the most fun by being able to play all mods and become an all-round player. So learn both.

Screw FL though. :D
winber1
ask peppy
he will know
Topic Starter
MiloSx7

This song was random and Error is centered around 8ms. I'm using CRT monitor so that helps, but I'm usually too early when I play high OD (2 or 3ms early)
Here is a recent reply. OD9.8 tho, but yes, I kinda feel that I'm bad (I don't blame the gear for not being able to play high OD). Ever since I started playing osu! I watched Nitro's replays and I was pretty much amazed. I never liked DT in the first place, and I was only using it recently to get some rank, because a friend of mine was giving me some easy songs with DT to FC and get some free rank (basically lol). Well I guess I'll stick with HR and practice it hard until I can play it like my idol c:
I don't plan playing OWC, though it would be fun to sign up and compete against others c: Maybe next year :D
Gumpy
HR is best mod
buny
why not both?
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
Because when I play with DT I only think I'm good because I'm randomly mashing my cursor and hit everything thinking I'm good while actually I suck big time :D
chainpullz
Honestly 98% is a pretty good accuracy for OD9.8+. Pretty much as long as the average of the 2 offsets is 0, any UR below like 115 will give you a good acc.
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
It looks like I'm either too early or too late. I will try to balance it out. Thanks for helping me pick a mod :D
Have a nice day :p
show more