forum

Not looking at jumps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
timemon
so I have some sort of a problem when I do jumps. I don't look at them especially when I'm playing on high BPM (DT).
I get random misses all the time, it's very frustrating.
I try to look at them but I get lost very quickly. ( don't know where the next circle is.)

Have you guys ever had problems like this? If you did, how did you fix it?

Thanks for reading (English is not my first language)
deletemyaccount
I would assume that if you get lost then its a sightreading issue?

Use your peripheral vision to scan the entire screen, and you shouldn't really get lost.
If this is difficult, then move your monitor further away from you OR reduce your resolution.
Topic Starter
timemon

Philantropist wrote:

I would assume that if you get lost then its a sightreading issue?

Use your peripheral vision to scan the entire screen, and you shouldn't really get lost.
If this is difficult, then move your monitor further away from you OR reduce your resolution.
the skin I use doesn't have number on the hitcircles. I do fine when I don't look at them, though.
Bauxe
You simply can't move your eyes fast enough for the jumps. This is very normal. You need to get used to using your peripheral vision.

edit: also add numbers, it will make reading easier.
RaneFire

Bauxe wrote:

You simply can't move your eyes fast enough for the jumps. This is very normal. You need to get used to using your peripheral vision.
This.

Read as you would naturally. When you miss a note, focus it on the next play to see why you missed. You need to determine the correct time to focus on notes and when you don't need to, which you will pick up with experience and practice. Once your eyes get accustomed to faster maps you will be able to focus on notes you couldn't before.

The distance you move your eyes also has effect. Full-screen jumps I can only focus on maybe 4 or 5 at most before my eyes slow down on subsequent jumps and I can't follow them anymore. This is very evident on the full-screen jump practice map, even with Half Time. In that situation I start by focusing on every note for the first 4 jumps, then I only focus on one side for 2-3 notes (4-6?), while reading the other side peripherally, and switch sides every so often. This is just an example, but just to show that sometimes you can't focus on every note and do have to use peripheral vision.
cheezstik
I heard thelewa exclusively uses peripheral vision to read, as opposed to the focusing on each circle that people usually describe. I realized that I also did what thelewa does, and decided to switch to focusing on each circle. I found that my jumps and overall reading has improved massively since then, but when stuff gets too fast, such as ar10.3, or when there is just too much object density in the map overall, then I have to switch back to peripheral vision.
felicitousname
Yeah, I've been getting this problem too recently, I've noticed that I make a lot of random misses when I read using peripheral vision, but when I focus on the notes I don't. However, when I focus on the notes, I tend to lose track of the next note.

My consistency has gone to shit recently due to this.
Topic Starter
timemon
Thanks for the tips, guys.

I don't see fullscreen jumps at my level yet.
But I find large zig zags very hard. ( even hard to read)

I'm trying to watch my replays to see where I miss.
It's usually me landing near the circle then quickly back off before I reach it. ( lazy snapping )
nrl
good job