forum

[duplicate] Easy topic search: add a search box on top of subforums

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
-----
For forums like Feature Requests and Technical Issues that has proper report process and Tech supports in place, one idea to improve the reporting management process is to add a search box on top of the subforums. For a while we have encourage the user first searching if there's any relevant topic reported by others than to make a new thread, and having a search box that can search topics within the forum can greatly aid the process.
drum drum
Clicking a scrollbar never hurt anyone :<
Besides it's best to see all the topics available on the current page so you don't waste your time with a search lol
Oinari-sama
More or less covered by what I requested before: t/225574

That can be adapted for the Tech Support forum of course.
Topic Starter
-----

drum drum wrote:

Besides it's best to see all the topics available on the current page so you don't waste your time with a search lol
Erm...I'm talking from a user's perspective, not admins which task are to manage every thread on a forum.
Another motivation for the idea is the current search function is basically classified as "advance search" as seen in search engines like Google. What I would like to see is to add make the search box act as a simple search within the entire current subforum, and using display by topic is preferable.
Oinari-sama

----- wrote:

What I would like to see is to add make the search box act as a simple search within the entire current subforum, and using display by topic is preferable.
That can be achived in a few ways:

1. Use the normal Search function next to your ID, and select the forum/subforums you want in the list (hold CTRL to select multiple forums)

2. On the forum you're browsing right now, use the search box at bottom left:

Of course, there's always the Google Search box on top left if one prefers.

The main problem with FR/TS forum is that most users don't feel like reading long texts (or search results in this case). I'm hoping that the idea of performing an auto search based on what their topic's title/keywords will at least make some people read.
drum drum

----- wrote:

drum drum wrote:

Erm...I'm talking from a user's perspective, not admins which task are to manage every thread on a forum.
Another motivation for the idea is the current search function is basically classified as "advance search" as seen in search engines like Google. What I would like to see is to add make the search box act as a simple search within the entire current subforum, and using display by topic is preferable.
I was saying it from a user's perspective...
Topic Starter
-----

Oinari-sama wrote:

More or less covered by what I requested before: t/225574

That can be adapted for the Tech Support forum of course.
Hey it's Oinari-sama~ *hugs =w=*

Nah, just from a glance to your suggestion, it's an entirely separate issue from your "Universal Submission Form"... when what I'm talking about is to improve the process of finding duplicate topics.
Topic Starter
-----

Oinari-sama wrote:

----- wrote:

What I would like to see is to add make the search box act as a simple search within the entire current subforum, and using display by topic is preferable.
That can be achived in a few ways:

1. Use the normal Search function next to your ID, and select the forum/subforums you want in the list (hold CTRL to select multiple forums)

2. On the forum you're browsing right now, use the search box at bottom left:

Of course, there's always the Google Search box on top left if one prefers.

The main problem with FR/TS forum is that most users don't feel like reading long texts (or search results in this case). I'm hoping that the idea of performing an auto search based on what their topic's title/keywords will at least make some people read.
LOL...I haven't noticed the second method yet...seems to be exactly what I wanted.
Still I suppose we can move it to the top of the page to make it more obvious.
Oinari-sama
Well, the site is being re-designed so let's wait and see ;)