forum

Streaming problem

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ij3ch3v
Alright guys and gals I've been playing for about 7 months and around 2 months ago I started playing hard maps and I noticed that I can't do streams. But a month ago I decided that I want to change that so I practiced every day for around 2-3 hours. And after all that time I still couldn't do them so I decided to google a bit and yesterday I stumbled upon the test your streaming speed thread and decided to download the program and try it. After running a few benchmarks I came to the conclusion that I can't even do 120 bpm, after the first 5 clicks my speed falls from ~135 to around ~110 and the unstable rate is ~750. I decided to send it to my friends who have never played rhythm-based games in their life and in their first tries they did around ~155 bpm with ~60 unstable rate. So I was wondering the hell is wrong with me, should I continue practicing or should I just quit.
My best result is this . And also I am using cherry mx red keyboard.
For those who will check my account I play offline, only in the started I played online. I should have around 13k plays.
jasian
Start off with slow bpm stream maps. If you can't maintain 5 300 hits then there's an issue. It could just be cold in your room.
chainpullz
You are probably trying too hard (ie. tensing up trying to go fast/mashing). Try to relax a little bit more and think about trying to float the keys as opposed to pushing them down all the way.

Edit: Also, there is no way you are playing 2-3 hours a day for 2 months with only 2000 plays unless you are playing mostly offline. I played 2-3 hours for like 10 days and accumulated more plays than that.
Midget
You can try to mash with the help of your wrist and elbow. Usually hurts a bit more during longer streams but I myself tend to last longer in those situations by lifting my elbow above my wrist.
winber1
get an accordion
Blanky
Quit
Green Platinum
I'm always confused when threads like this pop up since I only started really streaming once I hit 20-30k rank and here we are with a rank 183k asking for streaming advice. Sure pp has changed since then and I did triples etc, but nothing I would consider a stream at all. Sure OP has stated that they play offline but even the top ranks don't indicate even having the ability to play songs with streams in them.

My advice would be getting better in general and focusing on consistency rather than concentrating on specifics like streams.
otoed1
Honestly.... play more and play easier. 300 pp for 13k plays is abysmal. Find the star diff you can fc consistently with decent accuracy. And play maps about .5 stars up. Do this until you can fc these maps regularly, then go up again. Do this for enternity. Don' tworry about streaming etc. until your high rank. I don't even care about my streaming ability atm.
Topic Starter
ij3ch3v
Ok, I see that there has been some confusion I have been playing offline since almost the beginning because I don't care about things like pp or leaderboard. So I can FC maps around 4 stars but when there are streams I completely butcher everything. Usually the first 6 or 7 notes of the streams I get right but after that everything is a miss, my brain just locks down. I don't think that in my rooms it's that cold but it might be because I am tensing up all of my arm.
Synpoo
then don't tense your arm
chainpullz

Green Platinum wrote:

I'm always confused when threads like this pop up since I only started really streaming once I hit 20-30k rank and here we are with a rank 183k asking for streaming advice. Sure pp has changed since then and I did triples etc, but nothing I would consider a stream at all. Sure OP has stated that they play offline but even the top ranks don't indicate even having the ability to play songs with streams in them.

My advice would be getting better in general and focusing on consistency rather than concentrating on specifics like streams.
Ever since ppv2 and the new difficulty system launched people have abandoned the old routes and seem to focus almost entirely on pp and playing harder maps. Before there was no easy way to tell how difficult songs were and you weren't getting like anything for pp unless you were in the top 100 for that map. It's too easy to compare yourself to other people now and it's created all sorts of expectations for what types of things your should be able to play after X amount of plays/time/etc...
thelewa
the biggest problem with new players trying to gauge their stream speed is that they haven't even developed the necessary nerve paths to allow for real nice and smooth movement of the fingerinos

so basically just play streams until your hand gets the hang of the movement

it's a real thing, even if the movement seems really simple, getting it down to perfection can take time for some people but when they do get it down their speed will just jump up
Soulg

thelewa wrote:

the biggest problem with new players trying to gauge their stream speed is that they haven't even developed the necessary nerve paths to allow for real nice and smooth movement of the fingerinos

so basically just play streams until your hand gets the hang of the movement

it's a real thing, even if the movement seems really simple, getting it down to perfection can take time for some people but when they do get it down their speed will just jump up

sums up what i was going to say nicely, but just to be sure:

stream more
otoed1

ij3ch3v wrote:

Ok, I see that there has been some confusion I have been playing offline since almost the beginning because I don't care about things like pp or leaderboard. So I can FC maps around 4 stars but when there are streams I completely butcher everything. Usually the first 6 or 7 notes of the streams I get right but after that everything is a miss, my brain just locks down. I don't think that in my rooms it's that cold but it might be because I am tensing up all of my arm.
If you could fc 4 stars then why is your top play 3.05 star map with an A not an S. Regardless, just practice the finger motion and play more streams. Try playing the death stream training map on half time without single tapping. Just practice the motion, thats all you can do. Also, don't panic or tense up when you do well on streams.
-sev

otoed1 wrote:

If you could fc 4 stars then why is your top play 3.05 star map with an A not an S.
Because he repeatedly stated that he is playing offline.
chainpullz
Also, once you've got the motion down the death stream training maps will become pretty useless for a while since you don't need extreme stamina until you are able to accurately play upper 5* difficulties generally. After you get the motion down and before you get to the point of needing extreme stamina it will be much better to just practice regular maps that are dense with streams and stacks to build consistency.
dung eater
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/78707 128 bpm
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/115891 140 bpm
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/123417 100 bpm
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/102782 123 bpm
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/95255 130bpm

If you lack fun stuff to practice on here's some suggestions.

Finger control is hard. Need to control fingers one by one before brains automate things.
Sancteria
for what reason do ppl play offline? If you want a play count you wanna be proud of, you need to play online, if ppl see wow this guy is having 50k plays already, they´ll see the hard work behind your score :P
syuru

Sancteria wrote:

for what reason do ppl play offline? If you want a play count you wanna be proud of, you need to play online, if ppl see wow this guy is having 50k plays already, they´ll see the hard work behind your score :P
that's exactly it though, people usually want to have low playcount so they look like they improved faster/have natural talent. it would make sense to have 50k plays for a nice rank but it simply looks more impressive if you only have 15k or something.
Soulg
the death stream training maps will become pretty useless for a while
what the fuck am i reading
chainpullz

Soulg wrote:

the death stream training maps will become pretty useless for a while
what the fuck am i reading
It doesn't matter if you can play the deathstream training maps which are literally just a random song with 1/4's thrown in at the correct bpm but absolutely 0 correlation to the music. When you start to try to play complex maps containing streams you are still probably going to fuck up the streams because you don't know how to actually read streams. Not to mention most (I realize there are some stream training maps like the ones aqo has made) of the deathstream training maps have very little spacing and trivial patterns which just isn't good practice.

Once you have the basic motion down you aren't going to get that much out of stamina training unless you can already play maps that contain deathstreams. If you are suffering at basic streaming motor skills the likelihood that you possess the other skills (besides streaming) to play these types of practical maps containing deathstreams is pretty low.

TL;DR death stream training maps are only really good for 2 things: 1) developing good finger technique 2) stamina
show more