posted
Total Posts
show more
Nwolf
pls I've already done that last year

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
buny

Kert wrote:

This was one is also good enough with various types of maps, apart from a big bunch of reused maps once again.
Megpoid GUMI & Kagamine Rin - Invisible
P*Light - Poppin' Shower
Blackhole - Lagomorphic
Zeami - Music Revolver
Hatsune Miku - Hiatus (? don't remember exactly)
I've seen and played all these in previous OWCs and it's not exactly fun to play them again and again

P.S. Someone should make statistics of reused maps
There's so many maps added each year, and even more maps that haven't been used in OWC. I don't see why we have to reuse any
chainpullz

Aka wrote:

got really disappointed of hr bracket, all of the maps are just about random big spacing and some curve patterns |:
but seems like its hard to find a lvl of hr maps for round of 16s, i will be really excited to see the quarter-finals mappool though
I really get the feeling that they are picking random jump maps for HR which is really odd considering HR is an accuracy/reading mod first and an aim mod second (at least in my opinion).

Edit: I guess the sellenite map is the only one that's super jump focused but I still agree with your point overall. Hopefully next round we see some more interesting HR maps.
sellyme

chainpullz wrote:

HR is an accuracy/reading mod first and an aim mod second (at least in my opinion).
While I certainly agree that HR is accuracy-heavy, it's really not a reading mod at the OWC level. I highly doubt that anyone competing in the Round of 16 has trouble reading AR10.
Kert
Some information on reused maps for each OWC using the list provided by Nwolf (in pics)

pixx
OWC #2

Looks probably acceptable
But not so cool anymore because diffs are used in exactly the same way (except one map stopped being a tiebraker)

OWC #3

What the h e l l
How creative it is to reuse 15 maps from the previous OWC including 2 which were used every year??
I swear osu! already had atleast a few thousand other beatmaps to choose from during that time

OWC 2013

OH MY GAHD
Reused 15 maps from the previous year again and then 5 more maps from OWC #2 and one from OWC #1
Where are we going?
Alice map was reused and yet no changes (was HR previous year - HR again. hi! different maps)
I can only agree that forza map reuse could be kind of cool because there's really a lot of time between OWC #1 and OWC 2013 and also it became HR pick
Apart from that one ^ the progressive use of already used maps becomes pretty bad if you ask me

OWC 2014

It's only 1/16 and there is already 12 reused maps
Are we going to have 30-36 reused maps this year with this saddening pace?
Please, don't. I really hope you aren't planning to do it
As of today osu! has more than ~5000 maps that can be downloaded from website (ranked section). Even more exist beyond april 2011.
You definetly can find some other hidden gems inside this huge collection. Don't lie

That's all of my kinda rant here. Don't take it personal though, I am not blaming someone in particular
Just asking you to, please, rethink what are you doing
Thanks for reading
- Your regular OWC participant Kert.
buny

Kert wrote:

Some information on reused maps for each OWC using the list provided by Nwolf (in pics)

pixx
OWC #2

But not so cool anymore because diffs are used in exactly the same way (except one map stopped being a tiebraker)

OWC #3

What the h e l l
How creative it is to reuse 15 maps from the previous OWC including 2 which were used every year??
I swear osu! already had atleast a few thousand other beatmaps to c ;) hoose from during that time

OWC 2013

OH MY GAHD
Reused 15 maps from the previous year again and then 5 more maps from OWC #2 and one from OWC #1
Where are we going?
Alice map was reused and yet no changes (was HR previous year - HR again. hi! different maps)
I can only agree that forza map reuse could be kind of cool because there's really a lot of time between OWC #1 and OWC 2013 and also it became HR pick
Apart from that one ^ the progressive use of already used maps becomes pretty bad if you ask me

OWC 2014

As of today osu! has more than ~5000 maps that can be downloaded from website (ranked section). Even more exist beyond april 2011.
You definetly can find some other hidden gems inside this huge collection. Don't lie

That's all of my kinda rant here. Don't take it personal though, I am not blaming someone in particular
Thanks for reading
I basically asked what reason there is that maps are reused in each OWC and this was the response

GladiOol wrote:

buny wrote:

There's so many maps added each year, and even more maps that haven't been used in OWC. I don't see why we have to reuse any
Then you must be either naïve or stupid.
ToGlette
Thanks for pointing out all maps that are reused. I will promise that Mappool Staff will lessen the re-usage of maps that were picked in previous OWCs. I personally believed that a map played with different mod has a different map taste. However it seemed that this belief of mine was just irritating bunch of you, players. Again thanks for pointing out. We will do our best to enhance the mappool. Regarding HR picks I will review my standard of HR map picking, it would be great if you guys keep on giving feedbacks this way. It helps the staff a lot in a way that it becomes a guide that tells us if we are going wrong or not. I am very sorry for all the happenings regarding mappool. We will comeback with awesome mappool :)
Nwolf
Well while I can see how it can be annoying to play the one map in more than 1 year, it really isn't something bad if there's not too much. I agree, it could be a bit less than it is now but most of the maps are using a different (or no mod) anyway so they do play a bit different. Reusing unique and outstanding maps also isn't a bad thing at all (can't rate that tho) since... well, they are unique.
Kert
Thanks for the response, ToGlette.

Meanwhile I want to propose a better mappool ((maybe for finals) in case you run out of maps)
1. These maps were never used in previous OWCs
2. The mappool offers a wide variety of mapping styles and music
3. Freemod picks allow for numerous strategies to defeat your opponent team
4. There are no little girls in maps so your children can play safely and show it to their friends

seriously
jesse1412
What's wrong with re-using good maps?
buny

jesus1412 wrote:

why not reuse the same map pool every year then?
Topic Starter
Loctav

Kert wrote:

pixx
OWC #2

OWC #3

What the h e l l
I swear osu! already had atleast a few thousand other beatmaps to choose from during that time

OWC 2013

OH MY GAHD
Where are we going?

OWC 2014

Thanks for reading
oh come on, I beg to differ. Have you even paid attention to the different stage usage?
Cherry Blossom
It is cool to reuse maps from past OWCs, but i don't really see any interests in. I didn't say they are bad or not appropriated for this round or not etc. There is a lot of cool and enjoyable maps from 2014 or 2013 which were/are not used, and it's sad to see already used maps instead.
ToGlette

jesus1412 wrote:

It's not that we should not re-use old maps. It will be better if we give chance to other good beatmaps to receive spotlights as well.
Natteke
There's a reason why in games such as Counter-Strike only a limited amount of maps is used in tournaments, games like LoL only have 1, some maps just fit well.

On that note, vote Syuiro - Ama no Jaku for OWC'14 again!
jesse1412

buny wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

why not reuse the same map pool every year then?
Because there are new maps that are also good, in which case let them take their spot. I really don't see the problem other than "muh new meps", no one has picked the maps apart and no one has given a reason as to why it takes away from the tournament itself. I would argue forcing new maps every year would be detrimental to the quality of the tournament as it would mean the integration of potentially sub par maps just because the spots needed to be filled. The idea that "it's boring to play the same map every year" doesn't make sense to me, if playing a map once per year makes it boring to you then I can't fathom how you can try and set a score in a game like osu!
fartownik

Natteke wrote:

There's a reason why in games such as Counter-Strike only a limited amount of maps is used in tournaments, games like LoL only have 1, some maps just fit well.
Jeez, I knew someone would bring this argument and there's just so much wrong with it that I'm not even gonna bother countering it.

I hope you were not being serious tho, I can't really judge at this time and at the rate my eyes are closing by itself.
GladiOol
I'm agreeing with arguments from both ends. Let's just try to enjoy this round and Toglette and I will try our bests to have zero repeated maps for the Quarter Finals. I myself have to be honest that I didn't know it were that many. I haven't taken a look at the maps selected for previous owcs (and I forget what has been used as well, despite playing in 3 of 'm).
Nwolf
Nobody would mind having one or two repeated maps if they are very unique or something.

Also, Roze pls thanks *runs*
silmarilen
roze caused a lot of QQing last year
even tho i really like the map and i thought it was a good pick i dont think it would be a good idea to pick it again this year.
Omgforz

silmarilen wrote:

even tho i really like the map and i thought it was a good pick i dont think it would be a good idea to pick it again this year.
welp

it's a pick against people who can't read

it's the perfect strategy against this insane dt 10.3 meta
KRZY
I just ask that we get at least one buried little girl

that is all I ask
silmarilen
there's actually a litle girl buried in the bg of da nu nuttah, but you cant see it because it's below the bottom of the screen
buny

silmarilen wrote:

because it was like luv letter

99% easy with 1% hard parts
Topic Starter
Loctav
Mappool is out. Have fun.

Always blame Marcin for no pack being available, yet
Marcin
8 minutes until upload, will edit this post, can't put it on wiki sadly :<
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gh0da ... Finals.rar
done.
Bauxe
I like the looks of this next mappool.
Synchrostar
Well that suddenly got pretty hard.
silmarilen
hype
Tokiwadai
Damn, that sudden increase in difficulty ~
Tom94
I love this mappool. So many fun maps and nice songs in there. <3
Aka
SO DAMN hardFUN
Toy
Geez louise poppy cheese what are the next few mappools going to look like after that spike in difficulty
alice soft
Really nice maps&tracks in quarter-finals mappool, gj Glad & ToG.

Slight jynx for the teams but hoping we'll get to see the tiebreaker at least once.
fartownik
Great mappool. It's only a shame Hiroari is not a freemod, but I can let it slide. Good job.
silmarilen

[Toy] wrote:

Geez louise poppy cheese what are the next few mappools going to look like after that spike in difficulty
it's not really a spike, about the same increase as last round. but you're right. i hope we get to see a final full of 6+ stars
buny
love this weeks pool
Athrun
Really good mappool for Quarter Finals.

- Homework Crisis! And the jump version \:D/
- T_T Kanshou no Matenrou is tiebreaker. I look forward to seeing that
ToGlette
Where is the little girl count XD?
Topic Starter
Loctav

Thanks to Mercurius for this. This should avoid further confusion about who plays which Mappool.
show more