forum

osu! World Cup 2014 - Mappool Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
KRZY

Tom94 wrote:

I don't see how having a discussion where both sides lay open their arguments is "ridiculous". Furthermore I think, that generalizing every person that expresses his or her opinion like that can be perceived as insulting for those who actually care and invest effort to try to make their point clear.
In my opinion, saying that currently picked maps are too hard and that the map pickers should seriously reconsider re-picking the maps are ridiculous. At the very least, such complaints had better be voiced AFTER the group stages IF the results are indeed as these people insist. I do not mean to suggest however that the method of having a discussion is ridiculous, just the content.

You are correct about generalization however, and although I had no intent to generalize everyone voicing their concerns about the map pool if my posts seemed like I was then I apologize. Please understand that I had no such intentions, and I understand that almost everyone participating in the discussion is going about it in a civil and actually care about the tournament.

Tom94 wrote:

Why is breaking the habit necessarily a bad thing?
I think you misunderstood this part, I was referring to the fact that in all previous OWCs, people have not performed on a level that their records/solo play suggests. This is bound to be the same for this year's OWC, and it's not a matter of breaking the habit.
JappyBabes
I don't know why people are even mentioning SSing maps as a point to support their argument. The skill cap for these maps are so low that even the bottom half of the teams that play on them can have the same consistency as the top teams which is where RNG results come in. Also is why putting a map in the finals where some players in the match would even have trouble passing is just inappropriate. You would be putting a map with such a ridiculous difficulty into the mappool where no players can consistently perform on it (inverse case to what this group mappool is currently) and you end up with some more RNG results.
Mismagius
the fun part is that most of the people who say "I can SS these maps easily" are #5k+ and don't even have a FC on most of them
Tom94

JappyBabes wrote:

I don't know why people are even mentioning SSing maps as a point to support their argument. The skill cap for these maps are so low that even the bottom half of the teams that play on them can have the same consistency as the top teams which is where RNG results come in. Also is why putting a map in the finals where some players in the match would even have trouble passing is just inappropriate. You would be putting a map with such a ridiculous difficulty into the mappool where no players can consistently perform on it (inverse case to what this group mappool is currently) and you end up with some more RNG results.
What I meant was not putting maps which nobody can perform consistently on but maps on which only the very very best can perform consistently on. Difficulties in the ballpark of Chipscape, Big Black and Airman come to my mind. Freedom dive would in all likelihood already be too much as would be Rainbow Dash likes Girls. (I'm just calling examples, feel free to imagine equivalent AR10.3 DT maps or HR ones.)

KRZY wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

Why is breaking the habit necessarily a bad thing?
I think you misunderstood this part, I was referring to the fact that in all previous OWCs, people have not performed on a level that their records/solo play suggests. This is bound to be the same for this year's OWC, and it's not a matter of breaking the habit.
Thanks for clarifying, I indeed misunderstood your point. :)
Kert

Tom94 wrote:

What I meant was not putting maps which nobody can perform consistently on but maps on which only the very very best can perform consistently on. Difficulties in the ballpark of Chipscape, Big Black and Airman come to my mind. Freedom dive would in all likelihood already be too much as would be Rainbow Dash likes Girls. (I'm just calling examples, feel free to imagine equivalent AR10.3 DT maps or HR ones.)
If you do it like that then one person will win against the other team (ex. rrtyui on freedom dive) and I don't think it's a good idea for a team tournament
Tom94

Kert wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

If you do it like that then one person will win against the other team (ex. rrtyui on freedom dive) and I don't think it's a good idea for a team tournament
Literally in the section you quote from my post I stated that stuff like Freedom Dive would already be too hard for that very reason.
Yauxo
I dont see why people complain about the Red Like Roses map.

Yes, it has its slow parts, but thats just how the song is. The map itself has nice jumps, awesome patterns ans isnt just your typical Random-Curve-Slider-Map. I can see this being a top pick.

Other than that, yea, the Tiebreaker feels too easy for what it should be. Singletapping aint all that hard, if you ask me.
primrose

Fangslash wrote:

Overall I think the maps are great . However, as a viewer, I really want to say that the maps are way too easy. Yes, you can say constancy is a skill, but the difficulty on these maps are BELOW SOMETHING THAT NEEDS CONSTANCY. Like nevereverland. it's OD7. I cant really imagine anyone above rank 500 to get even 1x100 on it because THE OD IS THAT LOW AND THE SONG DOESN'T HAVE CONTENT THAT IS HARD TO ACC (well unless things unfortunate happens).

I wouldn't be surprise if some top seeded team lose because they can't do spinner. Yes I am serious about this because even a noob like myself can 1pc fc these maps easily.

Hopefully the map selectors will at get at least 1 or 2 harder maps for this mappool and the difficulty curve they promised will be there.
oh god.. really..
Rewben2

Fangslash wrote:

even a noob like myself can 1pc fc these maps easily.
I would have quoted you on this earlier but I mustn't have read your post or something until Fallist quoted you. I would really like to see you 1pc fc at least 5 maps in a row if it's supposedly easy.

Not to mention you'd be under absolutely no pressure which is nothing like the owc.
silmarilen
if one of the admins came around and told him his account would be deleted if he even got 1x miss then it would be similar pressure.
no insta-retries allowed.
KRZY
First ever chance to delete your account in osu! completely legitimately!!!

Surely you won't back down from this?
Glazbom
The same maps 3 maps.
silmarilen

KRZY wrote:

First ever chance to delete your account in osu! completely legitimately!!!

Surely you won't back down from this?
nononono, it's only to give you some pressure, ofcourse your account wont be deleted afterwards.
KRZY
Yeah I was just hyping...
fartownik
So guys, while BD was doing his calculations about star rating, I've done my own research about this year's and previous year's group stage mappool.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

I hope this can illuminate some issues about this year's picks.
jesse1412

fartownik wrote:

So guys, while BD was doing his calculations about star rating, I've done my own research about this year's and previous year's group stage mappool.

Fartownik isn't the hero we need, he's the hero we deserve and once again his research will lead us to triumph in these troubling times.
Karuta-_old_1

KRZY wrote:

You will miss. I guarantee it. I don't care who you are, you will.

KRZY wrote:

This isn't our first OWCs. We know how it goes. Why are we acting like this is our first?
Whatever this person is saying is so true

heck, he even performed better than Cookiezi for Korea vs Japan in 2012
Aki Like Snow

fartownik wrote:

LOL, best research ever.
KRZY

fartownik wrote:

#FartoForNobelPrize2014
Nyquill
so according to this data, i'm the hero of OWC2014?
pooptartsonas
Nyquill our lord and savior

OWC needs more little boys
Varetyr

fartownik wrote:

Remind me of what AmaiHachimitsu said about the picks last year, it was something like :
In almost every single map there's a loli
in Roze she is buried
this made me laugh so hard I still remember it today, halp
fartownik

Varetyr wrote:

Remind me of what AmaiHachimitsu said about the picks last year, it was something like :
In almost every single map there's a loli
in Roze she is buried
this made me laugh so hard I still remember it today, halp
Yeh, it was a running joke on our mumble last year as well.
GladiOol

fartownik wrote:

Lmao, this is gold. We'll be sure to stay on par with delivering little girls. Do not worry.
Glazbom
Nwolf
hm having one or two <2 min maps wouldn't be bad at all for more strategic picks, since shorter maps often lead to making combo breaks having a higher impact since there's less recovery time.
silmarilen
there is red like roses, which is, combo wise, a short map.
and some maps which barely reach 2 minutes
HungrySlothXI

fartownik wrote:

Well most of the new maps use little girls as a background but I don't see any reason why it should be that way. If this statistical data really creates a correlation then we might have to do something about it XD
[ BJ ]
I think it's ridiculous how one team can ban all the hard rock with both of their map bans or same with Hidden. I believe there should be more maps in each category so the strategy would actually be to get rid of the maps they don't like rather than just getting rid of a mod in general. It's stupid that a team could just suck at HD and ban both hd picks and be totally fine. I hope the later pools have 5+ in each of HR and HD pools. Free mod barely counts because you rarely see quad fc's and when people use mods in free mod it usually ends up not mattering or costing them.
silmarilen
uhm.. there are 3 maps in each modpool, not 2. and being able to ban 2 out of 3 is called tactics.
Pizzicato
The feel of getting 0-4'd

jk it was a fun game austria :D/
Omgforz

Pizzicato wrote:

The feel of getting 0-4'd

jk it was a fun game austria :D/
I feel bad for doing it this year where you guys actually have a chance. :<

gg wp
Xytox

Omgforz wrote:

I feel bad for doing it this year where you guys actually have a chance. :<
The seeding could have been a little...better.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Mappool is out
Lach
stars>5.20 stars<5.40

So that's how they're selecting maps. :(
Topic Starter
Loctav

Lach wrote:

stars>5.20 stars<5.40

They told me that they dont even pay attention to that, lol
Yarissa
Music Revolver was a HR pick last year in best of 16, why is it a HD pick this year? You'd assume the general skill level has risen, not fallen...
Natteke desu

Kaoru wrote:

Music Revolver was a HR pick last year in best of 16, why is it a HD pick this year? You'd assume the general skill level has risen, not fallen...
please, hd much harder
@2014, year of DT
Lach

Loctav wrote:

Lach wrote:

stars>5.20 stars<5.40

They told me that they dont even pay attention to that, lol
It's kinda strange though. The map brackets are weirdly close together.
Garpo
Need to check how many little girls are in the backgrounds...
show more