forum

osu! World Cup 2014 - Mappool Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
AmaiHachimitsu
This mappool is far better than the previous one, but I still see some mispicks

Hardrock bracket is easier than the ro16 and please don't try to convince me that it's only my opinion/preference

I don't really know if you've been picking maps with an FC probability component included. Some maps from the pool are quite easy to get good combo on, but they are TROLL at one moment or even worse, at the end and even the best of the best can fail the map.

Yggdrasil, the map itself is not hard, but it has one heck of a spaced stream at the end, half of the teams fail.
BIRTH is the same (though nobody should fail it), actually one spaced stream doing the job
Red Goose (the stupidest pick of them all) is the same, the kiai and the bigblacksliders + stupidly shaped stream will break the fuck of the combo virtually EVERY time.
On a side note, Encryption often won't let you revive because it ends with a slow down. You didn't think about it did you

Back to HRs being too easy.

Lifetheory's song is a joke when I compare it to Reiwai Terrorism, the gap is too broad. As I said before, ro16 picks were harder (to FC) than Angel.

And apart from that, thanks for the effort put in. You did good job making this tournament at least a little bit enjoyable.
buny
I agree that the HR maps are too easy
B1rd
I vote for Luv Letter HR
KRZY
Still liked the cs5+HR idea, it's like the 10.3 of HardRock
fartownik

fartownik wrote:

Loctav wrote:

You could simply read my post...
Is there any post explaining WHY there's no separate mappool for the final? Can't seem to find it.
Vuelo Eluko
Wtf why yggdrasil, the map really is pretty easy until that hellscape of a stream at the end
AmaiHachimitsu

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Yggdrasil, the map itself is not hard, but it has one heck of a spaced stream at the end, half of the teams fail.
On a side note, Encryption often won't let you revive because it ends with a slow down. You didn't think about it did you
Tom94
I feel like seeing such strong teams as Korea and Japan battling it out in the loser bracket confirms my (and various others') point of the first few map pools being too easy, making some high-end teams drop out for a few random misses.

Fighting Korea on the later map pool would certainly have been a much harder task than it was in group stages or one of the earlier map pools for instance.
tryaway
I think Japan lost because they didn't have their starplayer (rrtyui) at the moment versus Sweden.
eeezzzeee
I'm still hoping for a new mappool for the grand finals... inb4 rrtyui goes 4/4 on fc Yggdrasil lol
Xytox

tryaway wrote:

I think Japan lost because they didn't have their starplayer (rrtyui) at the moment versus Sweden.
As much as I'd like to agree with this, I just can't.

I see people mentioning rrtyui all the time all over the place; that he is the reason why Sweden was able to win. But you have to remember a team is compromised of 4 players, not rrtyui. He is a very good player no doubt about it, and he proved it in his last match like, god I don't even know what to say about his performance. But a single player can't carry an entire team on his shoulders, especially not with the mappool that we went up against them with, and this is what most don't seem to understand.

I know someone is gonna bite me for saying this, but I am very sure we would still have won, or at the very least, had a very decent chance at beating Japan even if rrtyui was around to play for them. Why? Because the maps were fairly easy, and we had as much a risk of missing as they had. We had the sufficient skills to FC these maps, just like Japan had. It was a matter of who made the most chokes.

If we met Japan with the same mappool as Germany did, Japan's skill level would have shined much brighter. They still have a risk of choking on maps of course, but they would have the skills necessary to play those maps consistently, while Sweden wouldn't. So we would probably end up missing on many more maps compared to Japan.

See where I'm getting at?
rzkadi
tl;dr : your chance to beat stronger team are much bigger on the early stage than on the latter stage because

Xytox wrote:

we had as much a risk of missing as they had. We had the sufficient skills to FC these maps, just like Japan had. It was a matter of who made the most chokes.
fartownik
Loctav, couldn't you actually come up with some sensible rules regarding the mappools for the finals? Eh, do you even read what we're writing here?

Japan is coming out from loser's bracket already playing the mappools from finals 3 times, now it will be 4, and if they win 1 BO11 it's 5. It's a huge advantage for them to have played the mappool so many times in the official games not gonna hide, but that's not even the case. The final is going to be totally fucking weird if Japan wins the first BO11. If they do, we're just going to play the exact same thing once again. How is it TIEBREAKING, because it will be a tiebreaking bo11 since the result will be 1-1. In Counter-Strike tournaments the team from loser's bracket has to win two BO3s and ALL the maps from those two separate BO3s are different, guess why? Because it would not make sense to put the same exact maps once again into the same match, as it doesn't here.

You had so much fucking time, so many requests to do that. You didn't even bother to actually respond with a proper explanation WHY there's no separate mappool for the finals. Now I'm just thinking it's because of laziness, to be honest.

If you don't want to choose another, new mappool just make us play the mappool from the Semifinals in case Poland loses the first bo11 as a tiebreaker, that'd be more fair.
KRZY
farto actually makes sense on this one, what's the official stance on this?
B1rd
maybe Poland can practice the final's map-pool outside of OWC?

I would like to see new maps, seeing the same ones are boring.
gr0t
Watching two teams fight for 1st place probably in two consecutive matches, using both times same mappool, that was also used in 5 other matches. Oh, its gonna be so much "fun"... I think i will pass live stream and just watch both matches simultaneously to see if players make same mistakes on same notes...
UnknownPlayer
same mappool again? what a joke! I 'm waiting for some super high star beatmaps in the grandfinal and suddenly there is no grandfinal mappool at all.....
AmaiHachimitsu

B1rd wrote:

maybe Poland can practice the final's map-pool outside of OWC?
You can't even imagine how playing the maps solo and during OWC differ from each other.
Karuta-_old_1
that pressure, especially on the Captain

Anyways, I do see advantage in more ways than one on the Japanese side with these having more experience and time due to the same mappool
pooptartsonas
Well at the same time, Poland gets to see so many of Japan's results on the maps so that should make deciding on the correct picks a lot easier, whereas Japan has much less intelligence on the matter. I'm not saying it's fair, and I completely agree there should be a new mappool, but it's a mixed blessing if anything.