forum

Bad Habit(?): Lead on Blue Ticks.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Touhou
I'm writing this, because i think I've adapted a bad habit while playing.

Back story:
I'm having a really hard time with certain patterns involving double and triple circles, which people at my rank don't seem to have (at least no one of my friends have this problem). Which is why I started to question my own playstyle.
When I first started this game I've been alternating because this is how it felt the most natural to me.
At about 10.000 plays I've decided to swich from alternating to Single tapping, because I wanted to learn both playstyles.
I'm Singletapping now because it's quite comfortable.

Playstyle:
My playstyle changed to "11111" on singles and "212" on triplets/streams.
Both of my fingers are able to be the "leading finger" wich means i can replace them at will BUT by doing so, i will still start triplets and streams the same way (11111 and 212 will become 22222 and 121).

The (bad) Habit:
The problem with my playstyle is that my leading finger (singletapping finger) hits the SECOND note of the triples.
Which means that I use the leading finger for the blue ticks on triples and streams

This results in 2 problems:
1.) Patterns like: "triple, double triple" or "triple double single" just kick me offbeat and most of the time I'll end up dropping my combo because I can't decide which finger to use after that part. It feels like "stumbling" while playing. (See picture below for a better understanding)
2.) Accuracy. I have a feeling, that this just annihilates my accuracy on streams since i only have the blue ticks for my lead finger to focus on.

Point of this post:
I'm looking for advice.
For someone else with with the same playstyle, how did you overcome this problem? Or didn't you have this problem at all?
Opinions and thoughts regarding the "lead on blue ticks" are welcome too, but please refrain from the typical "Play MOAR" advice if you don't have anything else to contribute.

Thanks for your time.
byfar
I don't recommend changing because it would be a pain. You could if you wanted to, but I wouldn't

But instead you should learn to single tap with both fingers, tap triples as both 121 and 212. Sounds like to me you're lacking practice the other way around. Because making a mistake in doing triples/etc fuck your rhythm.

I.e tapping 11111 121 121 is my dominant. But instead practice 22222 212 212 as well so 11111 212 121 won't fuck up rhythm

Also if you suck at stacks, try doing: 121 121 121 repeatedly outside maps on your keyboard ( start slow and do eventually pick up speed)and 212 212 212 2121212etc etc so you get your lead finger right
Bauxe

byfar wrote:

I don't recommend changing because it would be a pain. You could if you wanted to, but I wouldn't

But instead you should learn to single tap with both fingers, tap triples as both 121 and 212. Sounds like to me you're lacking practice the other way around. Because making a mistake in doing triples/etc fuck your rhythm.

I.e tapping 11111 121 121 is my dominant. But instead practice 22222 212 212 as well so 11111 212 121 won't fuck up rhythm

Also if you suck at stacks, try doing: 121 121 121 repeatedly outside maps on your keyboard ( start slow and do eventually pick up speed)and 212 212 212 2121212etc etc so you get your lead finger right
Dis guy. Spot on.

If you learn to be comfortable using both your fingers, there should be no issue singletapping with either finger, or starting a triple (or stream even) with either finger.
chainpullz
Whichever finger you use for downbeats should be the finger you lead with in streams. This will help you keep in rhythm if you actually make a habit of emphasizing the downbeat when a hit circle lands on it. Musicians often use this technique of keeping track of the downbeat of each measure to prevent themselves from getting lost in tricky rhythms. So I guess my indirect answer is that this is a bad habit. With that said, I think you can salvage this bad habit if you can maintain focus on the downbeat (ie. don't change your fingers, change the way your brain interprets the notes in a sense).
Dexus
Learning to switch 'leading' fingers on a dime is important. Instead of focusing on specific patterns; take the time to use your opposite finger as a main finger. Within a week or two you'll certainly see results. Eventually you want to try swapping back and forth between 'main fingers' mid map (kind of a delayed alternating-style). People saying don't change your fingers are too engrossed in the physical aspect of the game. You want to be able to make both your fingers do whatever you want whenever you want. You can eventually get to a point where you're hitting every note with random assortments of finger patterns and it wont phase you. The important part is hitting on time and with the rhythm. Another thing about switching fingers is it can help you realize which of the two moves slower, getting both your fingers up to par with each other helps a lot. It's like working out both your arms, or even running. You don't see people hopping around on one foot or lifting weights with only one arm. Even instruments, you want to move your fingers/hands in all ways both forwards and backwards through scales.
Bauxe

Dexus wrote:

Learning to switch 'leading' fingers on a dime is important.
To be honest, it isn't important. It helps a lot, but many people don't do it, even in the higher ranks.
Topic Starter
Touhou

byfar wrote:

SPOILER

Yes, it is indeed a pain! I'm trying to change the beginning of streams and triplets with my leadfingers but it still feels so wrong to play.

Bauxe wrote:

SPOILER
If you learn to be comfortable using both your fingers, there should be no issue singletapping with either finger, or starting a triple (or stream even) with either finger.

I tried to learn 212 and 121 but i just end up using 212 without even noticing it or it will end up with a 4x click....

chainpullz wrote:

SPOILER
Whichever finger you use for downbeats should be the finger you lead with in streams. This will help you keep in rhythm if you actually make a habit of emphasizing the downbeat when a hit circle lands on it. Musicians often use this technique of keeping track of the downbeat of each measure to prevent themselves from getting lost in tricky rhythms. So I guess my indirect answer is that this is a bad habit. With that said, I think you can salvage this bad habit if you can maintain focus on the downbeat (ie. don't change your fingers, change the way your brain interprets the notes in a sense).

Whichever finger you use for downbeats should be the finger you lead with in streams. < Logial, that's what i'm trying to "learn" now.
Change the way your brain interprets the notes < THAT is the tricky part, it's not as easy as changing hands because at high BPM I can't really tell which finger clicked because there is so much alternating happening.

Progress: Trying to play half time on LOW BPM maps to change to 121 1 121
Are there any good practice maps?

Edit:
So, i managed to move from half time to normal speed with the new tapping and I found this map to be good for this training:
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/244230 since it's quite easy and slow.
Taking a break for today because i feel dizzy, may be related to this kind of training.
Any further advice is highly appreciated
Bauxe

Ravelord Nito wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

SPOILER

I tried to learn 212 and 121 but i just end up using 212 without even noticing it or it will end up with a 4x click....
Just means you need to do it more.
pooptartsonas
This was how I naturally played when I started. Over time, I learned how to lead triples with my singletap finger to make certain patterns easier and make my accuracy more consistent. However, when I'm playing fast repeated triples or something, I still have to lead with the opposite finger, or I can't play them fast enough, despite like a year and a half of playing by leading with the main finger. You can get around it with practice but if you're at all like me it will never be better in terms of speed.