forum

Is it too impossible to play when you're new?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Atri-
Hi, i am just only played osu! for a month (although my account is 2 years ago, and yes, i played osu! 2 years ago but i never been played for a year)

I am just a newbie with lack of experience of playing osu! , and i look around the beat maps but just like, impossible beat maps everywhere.

Besides, i couldn't find any great beat maps to practice, easy maps won't give any efforts, but harder beat maps are way too insane to get practice on.

Which brings me 2 questions:

1.Is it too hard for you when you're new to osu ?

2. Is there a better maps to get practice on?

Thanks !
Gigo
If Easy and Normal maps are too easy for you, play them with mods. When that becomes easy, go to the next level - Hards. Then Hards with mods. Then Insanes. Then Insanes with mods. Then Lunatics. Then Lunatics with mods. Then Extras. Then Extras with mods. Then TAG4s. Then...

Hi, Cookiezi!
Rewben2
1.Is it too hard for you when you're new to osu ?
I'll guess you're asking if the game is hard when you start playing it. Well, of course it is. Everyone sucked hard when they started playing, that's just the way it is.

2. Is there a better maps to get practice on?
There are maps out there that train specific things like streams, jumps, squares, triples, etc. Don't worry about them for now, there's a lot for new players to learn so it's not worth it just to focus on single aspects. Play whatever you feel like for the time being, if it challenges you then that means you should improve by playing it.
YukinoDesuDesu
and play more
Athrun
Start off with something with you can play first. As you go along, try to play hard songs then build up to insane then extra.
Noomn
The tutorial with mods :D
otoed1
If you're new here you'll need to get used to this quick. Play More. You'll develop the skills your missing after a while. If easys and normals are too easy for you( you should be able to consistently s rank these maps to call them too easy) then you should play hards. It is best to look at star difficulties to find maps to play.
Heterozygous_old
osu! standard is in fact second to the most newbie-friendly of all the modes... Second to the biggest newbie-killer is taiko, and the biggest is osu!mania, try these guys and you'll know what's anti humanity lol

The most newbie-friendly mode would be catch the beats of course.
felicitousname
I don't know about that, a lot more players have stepmania-style rhythm game experience, whereas barely anyone has standard/EBA related experience.
Zalaria
Back when I first started playing osu in mid January 2013, I found myself instantly addicted despite how bad I was hahahahahah xD I enjoyed it nonetheless. It was hard but far from impossible, just gotta keep trying and you'll get better ^^
Kouya-
Everyone has struggled with osu when they first start out, but it's up to you to challenge yourself and see where does your skill level range from .

If you think Easy is to easy for you, play normal, if normal is to easy for you, go to hard, etc.
Topic Starter
-Atri-
But however, how's is that even help with my skills? Isn't osu is supposed to play with finger speeds? Besides, all difficulties is different beatmaps
-sev
Just play the damn game.
otoed1

Kaienyuu wrote:

Just play the damn game.
Also, find a beatmap you think is a decent difficulty. Look at the star value. Sort by difficulty. Play around that difficulty. ???? Profit.
Topic Starter
-Atri-
Unfortunately, i couldn't beat it, besides, If you just look at the stars, it won't help you

Why? because i could't even beat 4.5 stars
AdamMZ
4.5 stars is not easy. That took like, a month or two to pass it. (Just pass it, what I meant is getting a "B". "C" is not a pass in my opinion)

1.x stars is a beginner like you. You should start from there.

Edit: If easy is too easy, then play normal. If normal is too easy, then play with hard rock. If normal + hard rock is too easy for you, play normal + hard rock + double time. If that's too easy for you, it's time to play hard.

Then maybe after a month (of trying and FC-ing hard songs), you can go for insane. It's not that easy to become cookiezi.
Synpoo
you have 500 playcount, obviously you're not gonna pass a 4.5 star map
eeezzzeee
Considering that 4.5 stars is well within the INSANE difficulty range, you really shouldn't expect to pass this when you are still new.
Fahe
Find beatmaps where you enjoy the music first thing, very hard to play osu! on songs you can't listen without being annoyed.

And yea, as people said before, 4.5 stars are way out of range of beginners (peppy and tom updated the star rating system relatively recently).

1-2 stars : beatmaps for beginners
3~ : most hards
4~ : most "easy" insanes
4.5 and above : maps requiring good streaming/jumping and extensive practice.

I would suggest you to check the star rating of maps you can get an S rank consistently, and add 0.3/0.5 star difficulty on maps you should play to improve. Once you improved, rince and repeat until you can play whichever map you feel like playing :)
Topic Starter
-Atri-
C'mon, what they're thinking!? 1 star for easy, 4 stars is for Insane, then 5 stars is for Experts, then why they don't just only 5 stars, not just 10 stars?
Almost
Because it wouldn't show the difficulty of the maps past that 5 star range. 5 star maps aren't even hard really.
SomeLoli
I just arrange the beatmaps on the download page to my star level...which is 1.9 at the moment. They are quite easy for me....but as I keep S ranking them, my rating goes up and the downloads get slightly harder. I guess in theory as I go through 100s and 100s like that my skill will improve bit by bit. Just follow the system, if it seems really easy I put doubletime on.
Green Platinum
[strike]

slainender2013 wrote:

C'mon, what they're thinking!? 1 star for easy, 4 stars is for Insane, then 5 stars is for Experts, then why they don't just only 5 stars, not just 10 stars?
It used to be that way and it was annoying to find maps for your skill level,
There is still a broad range of difficulty between maps above 5 stars and having a high skill ceiling mitigates the problem
show more