forum

Learning HDHR

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
In No Hurry
So today I decided to finally try to learn HDHR. The problem is that I don't know how. I've searched several forums, but none were of substantial help to me. So to get things started I'll say what I'm good at. Aim and I'd say accuracy. Good at streams, but not at speed. Can read AR9 but can't even read AR9.6. Able to react to AR10. Already can play HD.

Okay, so now that the introduction is done, I'd like to get to the topic at hand. I was wondering on how I should approach learning HDHR (As I already said). Since I already play HD, I was wondering if I should learn HR separately like how people say to do it, or just go to HDHR from the beginning. Also, I was wondering things like "Should I play the maps I currently play with nomod with HD/HR/HDHR or do easier maps to start with" etc.

Any form of help is appreciated.

P.S. I'm fine with pains and potentially damaging my wrist if it means I can get better faster. (Seems stupid, I know, but Osu is the only thing I'm interested in right now, and I get good grades without giving much of a damn, so if I means I can get better at Osu in the long run then I'm fine with a little sacrifice)
Zare

In No Hurry wrote:

P.S. I'm fine with pains and potentially damaging my wrist if it means I can get better faster. (Seems stupid, I know, but Osu is the only thing I'm interested in right now, and I get good grades without giving much of a damn, so if I means I can get better at Osu in the long run then I'm fine with a little sacrifice)
Quit the game, please.
Jokes aside, "potentially damaging your wrist" and "improving at osu" is a contradiction in itself. Play healthy if you want to get better.

About the initial question, why are you in such a hurry? :^)
If you wanna learn HDHR, just play it, play it on varying Bpms with different diff settings including differen ARs
Do easier maps you can FC and harder maps you can barely pass, try to not limit yourself to certain scenarios
blourgh
Identify what makes HR difficult for you. If it's the AR, practice AR10 maps or turn some easier maps into AR10 in the editor. If it's the circle size, play CS5 maps and if it's the OD, just keep playing and you'll get more accurate over time. Some people find it easier to learn HR and HD together.
Topic Starter
In No Hurry
I see. Okay, I'll try to vary myself.

Also, I see what you did there.
Topic Starter
In No Hurry

Riddle wrote:

Identify what makes HR difficult for you. If it's the AR, practice AR10 maps or turn some easier maps into AR10 in the editor. If it's the circle size, play CS5 maps and if it's the OD, just keep playing and you'll get more accurate over time. Some people find it easier to learn HR and HD together.
Hmm. Well, I don't know what I'm struggling with since I can actually HDHR decently already. It's just things like triples and doubles that I mess up on.
nrl

In No Hurry wrote:

Don't do this. Then don't do this. Finally, don't do this.

Also, don't do this.
cheezstik
If you can already play HD then you don't need to learn it, you just need to learn HR. People always seem to associate them two together, sure they are both mods that make the game harder to read, but they definitely aren't the same thing / similar.

You seem to have decent accuracy, you probably won't struggle too much with the OD of HR once getting used to it, which shouldn't take too long, cos again, you have decent accuracy. It's probably the AR10 part that's mostly holding you back. I can't actually properly read AR10, but I randomly was able to read AR9.6 one day without even trying or training for it, despite AR9 being too fast for me at one point. The same would probably happen for AR10 eventually. Maybe try reading something in between first, like AR9.6, that will also help your speed anyway.

In No Hurry wrote:

P.S. I'm fine with pains and potentially damaging my wrist if it means I can get better faster
Edit: Also, if you're really "In No Hurry", then you wouldn't do this, huehue.
Topic Starter
In No Hurry

Narrill wrote:

In No Hurry wrote:

Also, don't do this.
So I shouldn't get good grades?!

Cheezstik wrote:

You seem to have decent accuracy, you probably won't struggle too much with the OD of HR once getting used to it, which shouldn't take too long, cos again, you have decent accuracy. It's probably the AR10 part that's mostly holding you back. I can't actually properly read AR10, but I randomly was able to read AR9.6 one day without even trying or training for it, despite AR9 being too fast for me at one point. The same would probably happen for AR10 eventually. Maybe try reading something in between first, like AR9.6, that will also help your speed anyway.
Thanks for the advice. I was reading forums as I said before and it said that things like AR will just randomly "click" so I guess I just have to wait for that to happen. Also, too bad you couldn't beat [T A T]. The 4 digits were just too strong. lol
cheezstik

In No Hurry wrote:

Also, too bad you couldn't beat [T A T]. The 4 digits were just too strong. lol
Nah we deserved that loss, they played terribly, but we played even worse. We purposefully picked the easy mapset so my partner had a chance (as he couldn't FC the insanes in the insane mapset), and literally every player in the match broke on all rounds, yep, a bunch of rank 8ks (and a 20k) getting shit tier accuracy / combo on 3-4 star maps rofl.
Topic Starter
In No Hurry

cheezstik wrote:

In No Hurry wrote:

Also, too bad you couldn't beat [T A T]. The 4 digits were just too strong. lol
Nah we deserved that loss, they played terribly, but we played even worse. We purposefully picked the easy mapset so my partner had a chance (as he couldn't FC the insanes in the insane mapset), and literally every player in the match broke on all rounds, yep, a bunch of rank 8ks (and a 20k) getting shit tier accuracy / combo on 3-4 star maps rofl.
My team was doing that too. I think we just aren't cut out for tournaments. lol
tecu
Learning to play AR8 with DT first should work as a nice stepping stone toward AR10.
B1rd

Narrill wrote:

In No Hurry wrote:

Also, don't do this.
http://ask.fm/jesse1421/answer/117721992760
byfar
yeah you need to work your muscles hard to improve stamina
[-Cloud-]

B1rd wrote:

I never had pain in my keyhand and my speed still improved a lot over time. I don't think it need to hurt for improvement.
cheezstik
Well there's definitely a limit, you shouldn't need to be causing any permanent damage to your wrist playing osu. There's a difference between hands being sore for a couple days, and developing RSI, arthritis, or CTSor Ebola?.
Almost
The best way to learn HDHR is to play HDHR. If you have problems with the AR, then just memorize the map. The more you keep doing this, the easier it'll become and eventually you won't even need to memorize any more. Don't really bother trying to learn HDHR by playing high AR songs, low CS songs, etc individually because in the end, it's not as efficient.
nrl

B1rd wrote:

All you've proven is that jesse doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. Ignoring the blatant ignorance in the claim that everything besides speed and stamina is non-physical, you shouldn't be experiencing pain of any kind. Not only is there no reason for pain to be prerequisite for improvement from a biological standpoint (hint: pain doesn't serve the purpose you think it serves), pushing to the point of pain probably means you're completely precluding conscious monitoring of technique and promoting bad habits. Do you push to the point of pain when building speed on an instrument? No, so why would it make sense to push to the point of pain on osu!?
buny
There are no potential health risks unless you play unpreparingly (i.e. no proper warmups, stretching)

and even then, the most you'll get is a sore wrist unless you play in an awkward position
chainpullz

cheezstik wrote:

If you can already play HD then you don't need to learn it, you just need to learn HR. People always seem to associate them two together, sure they are both mods that make the game harder to read, but they definitely aren't the same thing / similar.

In No Hurry wrote:

P.S. I'm fine with pains and potentially damaging my wrist if it means I can get better faster
Edit: Also, if you're really "In No Hurry", then you wouldn't do this, huehue.
Nooblet has like 99.75% accuracy and drops to like 92% when he plays HR. Seriously, having high accuracy on nomod is comepletely different. Also, unstable rate just says how consistently off you are. If you are always consistently 10ms off you can still get 100% nomod and have godly unstable rate while having shit accuracy on HR because you are consistently slow.

Also, listen to narrill. He plays HDHR the right way (or so I've heard).
nrl
That's because of the AR though.

chainpullz wrote:

Also, listen to narrill. He plays HDHR the right way (or so I've heard).
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
B1rd

Narrill wrote:

B1rd wrote:

All you've proven is that jesse doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. Ignoring the blatant ignorance in the claim that everything besides speed and stamina is non-physical, you shouldn't be experiencing pain of any kind. Not only is there no reason for pain to be prerequisite for improvement from a biological standpoint (hint: pain doesn't serve the purpose you think it serves), pushing to the point of pain probably means you're completely precluding conscious monitoring of technique and promoting bad habits. Do you push to the point of pain when building speed on an instrument? No, so why would it make sense to push to the point of pain on osu!?
Well you can dispute what he said and throw around accusations of ignorance all you want, but you don't exactly have much credibility when Jesse is faster than you, which is the topic that you imply to have better understanding of.

I find your statement pretty much completely false, if you want to improve from a biological aspect then pain is a prerequisite, no pain no gain. If you want to get flexible you have to stretch, which is painful. If you want good cardio you have to jog, or if you want to get strong you have to wear down your muscles until they can't continue, all of which is pain in a certain sense.
And that is pretty much the theme of his answer, you have to push your streaming ability to its limit. It doesn't mean that if you develop pain caused from symptoms of carpal tunnel or RSI etc. that you should continue, like you wouldn't continue if you sprained your ankle while jogging. There is beneficial pain, and then there is detrimental pain.
Your point about instruments is immaterial. Instruments, like the non-speed and stamina aspect of osu!, is almost completely mental. It's all about building up the neural pathways and whatnot.
show more