forum

Need help with my gameplay, new player.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sojana
So I've been playing this game for 2 weeks now I think. I play with mouse and I can do jumps on maps like big money or pony swag without to much trouble on insane difficulty. But when it comes to streams and where I have to start using 2 buttons consantly it gets messy. I use keyboard to press and do not press on my mouse at all. I tryed to play on maps where I have 3 or 4 in circles in a row rly fast and did quite good (at least for what I am used to right now) but when I use 2 buttons on the same map I get less accurate, I feel I have trouble. I think it will be impossibe at some point to only use 1 button so I rather get used pressing 2 before I get to a point where it will be to hard to change up.

Are there any good maps someone can recommend to train with? As I said I can do jumps quite fine up to AR 8.
Maps that are problematic for example are "Made of fire" or any maps of that kind where I have small streams all the time. I can pass streamy maps after a lot of plays but my accuracy is shit.

I know I only play this for a few weeks now, but I am a perfectionist by nature, I hate to hit brick walls, where u seem to be stuck, but I know it will get better sooner or later. I am a pretty fast with my mouse and eye hand coordination, because I played RTS games and shooter a lot. But clicking this many times (and be accurate at the same time) was never an issue for any game.

TL:DR New to the game, suck at streaming, need map recommendations and tipps to train accuracy on streams.
I doubt watching other ppl play would help, like in RTS games does it?
sayonara_sekai
So I've been playing this game for 2 weeks now I think. I play with mouse and I can do jumps on maps like big money or pony swag without to much trouble on insane difficulty
FlyingKebab is that you?
-sev
Practice Maps - Short Streams

Practice Maps - Streams

Edit: Just stick to easier difficulties. It won't do you any good if you become a masher 2 weeks in.
Zare

Sojana wrote:

So I've been playing this game for 2 weeks now I think. I play with mouse and I can do jumps on maps like big money or pony swag without to much trouble
Stopped reading here

Play slow maps with long streamy parts and learn the basics of the game before talking about maps not even the elite can call easy
cheezstik
A really good way to practice is to only play the map The Quick Brown Fox - The Big Black, use the mod no-fail if needed. I would aim for at the very least, 15% accuracy, but since you just started, anything more than 10% will be acceptable. Once you can get 30% accuracy and 30 combo, then you are now a good player, and should move straight on to FC'ing Team Nekokan - Can't Defeat Airman, then Tatsh - IMAGE -MATERIAL- <Version 0>, and maybe if you are good enough, the hardest map in the game, Lily - Scarlet Rose.
Bauxe

cheezstik wrote:

A really good way to practice is to only play the map The Quick Brown Fox - The Big Black, use the mod no-fail if needed. I would aim for at the very least, 15% accuracy, but since you just started, anything more than 10% will be acceptable. Once you can get 30% accuracy and 30 combo, then you are now a good player, and should move straight on to FC'ing Team Nekokan - Can't Defeat Airman, then Tatsh - IMAGE -MATERIAL- <Version 0>, and maybe if you are good enough, the hardest map in the game, Lily - Scarlet Rose.
This is pretty much the best you can do. Good luck and don't give up!
byfar

phonics wrote:

So I've been playing this game for 2 weeks now I think. I play with mouse and I can do jumps on maps like big money or pony swag without to much trouble on insane difficulty
FlyingKebab is that you?
woah bro why the salt

and pls stop misguiding the poor soul

and to op:
the links to practice maps have already been posted so i don't need to repost it again. but try to stick to maps you can get at least 85% on and not mash (like randomly aiming and tapping). because honestly, doing that is just a waste of time.

challenging yourself (playing harder maps above your skill level that you can barely pass) = improves reading skill

playing maps to fc (maps in your skill level) = improve consistency

you need to have a balance between these two in practice otherwise u wont improve as quickly as you want.
remember:: patience is the key. only playing more will help u.
buny

Zare wrote:

Sojana wrote:

So I've been playing this game for 2 weeks now I think. I play with mouse and I can do jumps on maps like big money or pony swag without to much trouble
Stopped reading here

Play slow maps with long streamy parts and learn the basics of the game before talking about maps not even the elite can call easy
pretty sure he's not talking about BD's difficulty, and pony swag is easy even on dt
GoldenWolf
Get the basics right before thinking about learning streams lol
Topic Starter
Sojana
]So I've been playing this game for 2 weeks now I think. I play with mouse and I can do jumps on maps like big money or pony swag without to much trouble
[/quote]
Stopped reading here

Idk what your problem is, either you not believing me. Or just beeing full retard.

Play slow maps with long streamy parts and learn the basics of the game before talking about maps not even the elite can call easy[/quote]

I didn't say it's easy, did I now? I said I can handle the maps somewhat (and I obviously didn't talk about the hardest difficulty ones, as I said before I am currebntly playing on (hard maps which I can pass 90% of the time) and insane maps. My jumping ability and aim over long and short distances is not bad at all, but when it comes to streams (where I have to start alternating it gets messy)

GoldenWolf wrote:

I think I am way above the basics (not wanna sound arrogant or something)

Nikkumi wrote:

Practice Maps - Short Streams

Practice Maps - Streams

Edit: Just stick to easier difficulties. It won't do you any good if you become a masher 2 weeks in.
Idk what "easier" does mean for you, I did try hard maps like "Big black" where my max was 25% but as I said I feel like having no real control it is just kinda smashy. My current aim is to beat "t+pazolite Against Gilgamesh" my best there was 61% without mods. I could upload a few replays if it helps analizing you where my current skill lvl might be or not be right now. Or just to check what I should avoid doing "if I do something retarded while playing"

I am not intimidated by harder maps, but I know that I can't possibly beat AR9 maps like scarlet rose in the near future (I'd have to be korean to be able to do that after 2 weeks lol) I can read maps on AR8 just fine, AR9 sometime gets messy, but I can do it in a couple maps I tryed, just the actual clicking becomes the problem for me.
chainpullz

phonics wrote:

FlyingKebab is that you?
this
GoldenWolf

Sojana wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

Don't you DARE trying to tell us you're WAY ABOVE the basics when you CAN'T EVEN properly do the sub-basics dude.
cheezstik

Guys I've mastered the basics, tru story.
Athrun

cheezstik wrote:

I can't even.
Senpai teach me~

I can't even click the 1st note...
uberpancake
Read it as stay gay pony and big money first. I died a little. Then I realized that he was probably talking about 2 regular insanes and not 2 of the hardest popular maps that exist.

As for practicing streams the spreadsheets earlier linked are good practice, and for general tips make sure to go back and full combo easier maps every once in a while (atleast).
RaneFire

GoldenWolf wrote:

Sojana wrote:

Don't you DARE trying to tell us you're WAY ABOVE the basics when you CAN'T EVEN properly do the sub-basics dude.
Yoh check those scores. Definitely sub-basic.

Master sub-basic then move onto basic. Basic is too hard for you at the moment.
felicitousname
lol you're not even playing the game yet. I wouldn't even say I've got mastery of the basics. Most people here would (rightfully) consider me a huge noob.
byfar

cheezstik wrote:

i still have a 60% accuracy on tutorial lol. 0 ss's on my profile
Dexus
beginner (easy to hard maps)
normal (hard maps with mods to insane maps)
Advanced (insane maps with mods to ex maps)
Extreme (ex maps with mods)

Sojana and most players without scores at least at 130pp+ (arbitrary number) filling in their top performances are still beginners to this game.

Basically for new players you want to start pushing to play [hard] difficulty maps (2 to 3 stars) for about 5 months (arbitrary); from then it's progression like what I listed above. It's almost at an exponentially long time depending how quickly you grasp certain concepts about the game. Within two weeks you shouldn't be bummed that you can't do much you're still learning how to aim and tap notes (that's pretty much the whole game, it just gets harder and harder to manage). Meter is important and will be easier to pick up on later down the road when you're able to play insane maps.

...and when I'm referring to playing these maps, I'm saying to be able to pass with a B at least. You don't have to master hard difficulties to move onto insane maps, if you make your difficulty progression linear you'll improve or hit a wall where you can step back a bit and see what you can fix to keep progressing.

One big thing you want to avoid doing is floundering and forcing yourself to use mods or playing stuff you're clearly not cut out to play yet, ie failing constantly and retrying or getting C/D ranks. It just will frustrate you and cause you to develop bad habits.

A couple tricks to get over a 'wall' in skill progression is asses what you can and can't do and push what you can do well as far as you can, try taking a long break to forget bad habits/rest up, try practicing a different aspect of the game (in example if you're gunning for streaming ability but just can't progress, try practicing aim training until you get stuck again), start over in terms of difficulty and attempt to 're-learn' the game to see if there are minor things you can improve upon as you progress, try different styles if you're in pain or discomfort from anything you're doing. Slow down your movements and think clearly as to what all you're doing to make sure you're doing things right. I can honestly keep writing more, but I feel like this is enough and better than saying 'play more' like a mindless sheep.
Topic Starter
Sojana

Dexus wrote:

beginner (easy to hard maps)
normal (hard maps with mods to insane maps)
Advanced (insane maps with mods to ex maps)
Extreme (ex maps with mods)

Sojana and most players without scores at least at 130pp+ (arbitrary number) filling in their top performances are still beginners to this game.

Basically for new players you want to start pushing to play [hard] difficulty maps (2 to 3 stars) for about 5 months (arbitrary); from then it's progression like what I listed above. It's almost at an exponentially long time depending how quickly you grasp certain concepts about the game. Within two weeks you shouldn't be bummed that you can't do much you're still learning how to aim and tap notes (that's pretty much the whole game, it just gets harder and harder to manage). Meter is important and will be easier to pick up on later down the road when you're able to play insane maps.

...and when I'm referring to playing these maps, I'm saying to be able to pass with a B at least. You don't have to master hard difficulties to move onto insane maps, if you make your difficulty progression linear you'll improve or hit a wall where you can step back a bit and see what you can fix to keep progressing.

One big thing you want to avoid doing is floundering and forcing yourself to use mods or playing stuff you're clearly not cut out to play yet, ie failing constantly and retrying or getting C/D ranks. It just will frustrate you and cause you to develop bad habits.

A couple tricks to get over a 'wall' in skill progression is asses what you can and can't do and push what you can do well as far as you can, try taking a long break to forget bad habits/rest up, try practicing a different aspect of the game (in example if you're gunning for streaming ability but just can't progress, try practicing aim training until you get stuck again), start over in terms of difficulty and attempt to 're-learn' the game to see if there are minor things you can improve upon as you progress, try different styles if you're in pain or discomfort from anything you're doing. Slow down your movements and think clearly as to what all you're doing to make sure you're doing things right. I can honestly keep writing more, but I feel like this is enough and better than saying 'play more' like a mindless sheep.
Thanks for your post at least u tryed to explain in a constructive way.

RaneFire wrote:

Sojana wrote:

Yoh check those scores. Definitely sub-basic.

Master sub-basic then move onto basic. Basic is too hard for you at the moment.
I know I only did B or even C on some maps, it's because I didn't rly play em anymore and was trying faster maps (I know I can't finish without nofail for a fact) because I wanted to be faster in general. I just think I did good progress for only playing 2 weeks in... anyway I did just try to S some hard maps recently just to see if "in the opinion of some ppl here who probably play for months if not years" I am better than the basics lol.

I started to upload videos on youtube (mostly to see my own progress over the course of time) I consider a map beaten after I got at least S on it, I know some ppl are rly tryhard and SS big black "jk r(re)tryui" I know I am nowhere from even decent right now, but everyone started someday I guess. I am certain, I can do a whole bunch better after a few months of playing. Also I will buy myself a tablet and see if I am more comfortable with that, I feel spinners and long range jumps are easier with that.

I am that kinda person that gets pissed if ppl kinda "look down on me" in some way, but I have to thank this "elitist" ppl here too, because u just wanna make me push myself even harder.

@Nikkumi
Thanks for the maps I will try some of them out

Not sure if that's basic enough, but at least I tryed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyqvjG_zBCw
RaneFire

Sojana wrote:

I am that kinda person that gets pissed if ppl kinda "look down on me" in some way, but I have to thank this "elitist" ppl here too, because u just wanna make me push myself even harder.
It's not really about being elitist, although that was the intended facade with the dash of sarcasm that doesn't travel over the internet.

We just see this type of thread every other day, and many of us have responded to such questions hundreds of times already (search function?), so it's really difficult to take these threads seriously after a while and actually provide constructive feedback, because we'd have to do it... every... time... and you'd think new players would at least search around a bit, however many of them don't. So we just waste time repeating ourselves. Then you get people like Dexus who still takes the time to write something constructive. Hehe.

Best thing you can do is just lurk on the forums, search around and pick up random advice here and there while trying to figure things out for yourself.

Also this thread comes across as bragging. Not a good start.
[-Cloud-]
It has nothing to with being elitist. People are asking questions every 3 days about "how to", while there are 2 stickys where you can read about that kind of stuff.
Also, you're new to the game and you still suck a massive dick at it, face it. Once you faced that fact, you can start working up your way. Basics are: Reading, Sense of rhytmn, accuracy and combo. Once you mastered this Basics for easier diffs, you can start up on insanes.

I jumped into insanes within 2 days and I got a shitton of bad habits, including mashing, awful reading and extremely bad accuracy on everything. Some of them are still existing.

Also:

Dexus wrote:

A huge thanks, I just take that for myself. I never seen "getting over the wall" from this perspective.
byfar
I understand that you are a perfectionist.

However, the thing about this game is that there is no REAL shortcut to being good/perfect at the game. So I perfectly understand your frustration at not getting things quickly as I can relate.

Understand that players that play more and GET (learn) more from what they do are better than players who play the same amount and don't get as much from those plays (aka playing maps useless for improving like songs 2 layers above your skill level).

So either up your play time and do some real practice (while not doing those nofail/D rank/70% acc C rank maps cuz those waste your time)
or just progress slowly like many other players (they are fine about this and just enjoy the game how it is). This game requires time and dedication, and I'll state it again: being good is fucking hard. It ain't easy.
show more