forum

Curving Large Jumps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ZerotheZombie
I find when I'm playing a pattern with particularly large jumps (as in very quickly going from one side of the screen to the other) rather than snapping, I tend to arc or curve the trajectory slightly from one hit circle to the next. From what I've heard this is a really bad idea, but I find it actually increases my accuracy and makes the jumps a lot more accurate, even if there are multiple large jumps in a row.
Basically what I'm asking is, do you think this could work for me, or will it eventually lead to problems in the long run?
byfar
does it really increase your accuracy? generally the shortest distance - aka snapping - is better. but if arcing works for you then you should do it. but when u do maps like big black/airman where the large jumps are like 180-200 bpm u dont have time to arc i think
gregest
if it works for you,just use it.I'm doing the same as you,but with mouse
nrl
Snapping has nothing to do with trajectory, it's a timing thing. This is only a bad idea if it's causing you not to snap.
Mystrian_old
If you know where your cursor is going to land, then what's the difference? All this game is is muscle memory.
winber1
perhaps one day you will find that it makes it harder to play some patterns, or perhaps not.

we will see when that day comes
sayonara_sekai

Mystrian wrote:

If you know where your cursor is going to land, then what's the difference? All this game is is muscle memory.
Because learning to properly snap makes literally everything easier. Yeah its not required but why wouldnt you learn it if it only helps
NixXSkate
Are the large jumps fast or slow? Because on slower large jumps I sometimes do the same, it's like a way to make the notes have larger distance spacing so the timing feels more appropriate. As long as you don't do this on faster jumps or anywhere it hinders your performance, I don't think it's a problem.
nrl

phonics wrote:

learning to properly snap makes literally everything easier
Well, it's tricky. Snapping is super nice once you can do it, but while you're learning it you're prone to forcing it and adding a lot of unnecessary tension that will do nasty things to your consistency. You really have to ease into snapping.
chainpullz
Have fun with square jump patterns is all I have to say.
Dexus
If you curve a jump that just means you're not looking/ are using too large of a tablet area/ you're generalizing patterns instead of reading the notes individually. It's best to fix this problem now than have to do it later. Travel in straight lines, that's all this game really needs. Even during streams you can move straight instead of curving and flowing through them.

Narill is also right, avoid forcing yourself to snap. There's a natural kind of flow to it.
Vuelo Eluko
like has been said it's not an issue, straight lines aren't natural, it's just a part of how the hand moves. There's no benefit to forcing your way out of the habit.