forum

Is "Otaku" what everyone thinks it is?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cocaine dog
I heard from someone that the word itself had nothing to do with Anime etc, it's just basicly ment as "Hobby" or being obssesed with something( in general ).
Is this true? Or is it actually a word for anime culture or w/e
deadbeat
gonna move this to Otaku Culture. I believe there is a thread about this, but i couldn't see it. most likely just went right past it x.x
anyway, for the most part, no. there is a western version of this for someone who likes anime and stuff like that, but the japan meaning is something completely different if i'm correct. someone like Navizel or mogs will be able to explain better i think :(

also i don't want to see flaming or anything in here. let's keep this serious(amusing i don't lock this and move to a thread that may or may not exist)
KinkiN

deadbeat wrote:

gonna move this to Otaku Culture. I believe there is a thread about this, but i couldn't see it. most likely just went right past it x.x
anyway, for the most part, no. there is a western version of this for someone who likes anime and stuff like that, but the japan meaning is something completely different if i'm correct. someone like Navizel or mogs will be able to explain better i think :(

also i don't want to see flaming or anything in here. let's keep this serious(amusing i don't lock this and move to a thread that may or may not exist)
yes you are correct i believe.

according to wikipedia, iirc (I'm not going to open it lol too much work) Otaku is a term of nerd in Japanese. In Japan, nerd is basically common with anime-manga-games and stuff. to call it " being obsessed with something " is also partially true, because Japan had Train Otakus and stuff
Furasaki
Otaku in japanese means obsessed or nerd. In western culture it probably means anime fan
Gumpy

xKageOkamix wrote:

Otaku in japanese means obsessed or nerd.
So a good thing basically.
The Winner Man
If you think that has a good connotation then sure. For me otaku means that anime/manga plays some kind of role in your life like a hobby or something. You don't have to be entirely obsessed with it but just enough that you actively follow it. I'm pretty sure the word itself doesn't have to mean anime/manga though it's just generally used for it.
Raisha Millenia

xKageOkamix wrote:

Otaku in japanese means obsessed or nerd. In western culture it probably means anime fan
silmarilen

Gumpyyy wrote:

xKageOkamix wrote:

Otaku in japanese means obsessed or nerd.
So a good thing basically.
quite the opposite.
it's like the 40 year old virgin living in parent's basement sort of thing.
Green Platinum

silmarilen wrote:

it's like the 40 year old virgin living in parent's basement sort of thing.
Wont stop the west from completely barstardising the term tho.