forum

The official osu! mascot

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Loginer
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Echo
No, I mean the palm is too long... my hand looks more like this:

Topic Starter
Loginer
There, shortened the palm slightly and moved the pinky.

And this is how big it's going to be in-game at 1280*960.

awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Loginer
Fixed?

Rolled
yes ^____^
Topic Starter
Loginer
Great. :D

Here's my progress on the new head so far. I won't be able to model anything for a few days, but I'll try to finish it before Christmas Eve.

awp
Keep in mind: the head is approximately twice as tall as it is wide. Use of eye-sockets is yay.
Topic Starter
Loginer
I'll make sure to remember that.

Also, remember when you said the general anatomy on this felt "a bit odd"? Good times.
awp
Baby steps.

It must feel good to know that I'm always going to pick something apart with each new render. One at a time.

Baby steps.
Topic Starter
Loginer
New pic, sorry about the delay. You may now rant about everything but the shape of the nose, shading/smoothing problems and the lack of textures on the eyes.

Saturos
I tried to think of something to say but all I could do was make a disgusted face.

EDIT: Pic related.

Starrodkirby86
Yay Andross. :D

I don't know what I really have to say at the moment, but it's pretty hard for me to criticize if there's no eyes...Looks a little dead without them. :P

Though one thing that I should suggest is to change the hair...it looks a little like toothpaste or something tube-like, but eh, we'll see what the more experienced Pippi lovers will say.

Cool job, Loginer.
Topic Starter
Loginer
Yeah, the hair is a bit round. The bangs are also awful, but I think I know how to fix them.
Topic Starter
Loginer
New pic. The shading is still awful, but I've modified and remade a few things. I'm also using awp's demon eyes, since Loofah's irides are cut off.

Rolled
Am i allowed to rant about the boxiness of her face?
lukewarmholiday
Lt Morke
Its...uh...Playdoughey.
Loofah_old
Topic Starter
Loginer
Give me the largest version you have.
Loofah_old

that's the original size, if you need any other textures done just tell me.
awp
awp
Look at the attachment in this post for image; I'm too lazy to upppy atm.

As I said earlier, face should be nearly twice as high as it is wide; my drawing is at about a 1.75:1 ratio because the 2:1 looked silly to me (2:1 may look best, it may not. I'm not sure). The chin needs more pointing; it's too rounded right now and we're shooting for an anime-esque look, as oppose to a chubby kid look (see the blue outlines at the bottom. On the left is the original (current) shape, on the right is a more approximate shape (I think it might be too narrow down the face though).

Also, something I didn't notice earlier but picked up on doing the diagram; your eyes are slightly too high up. They should be in the dead center of the face (the horizontal red line). The hairline needs to come down a tiny bit, and the widest point of the head should be about 1/4 to 1/3 from the top.

Topic Starter
Loginer

awp wrote:

The chin needs more pointing; it's too rounded right now and we're shooting for an anime-esque look, as oppose to a chubby kid look (see the blue outlines at the bottom. On the left is the original (current) shape, on the right is a more approximate shape (I think it might be too narrow down the face though).
That's pretty much what the original chin looked like, and people complained about how it didn't look like Chibi-Pippi/Sarumaru's Pippi, so I'm not too sure about making it so pointy. I'll try to get rid of the chubby look, though.

awp wrote:

I hope you know how to fix the bangs because I'm a tad clueless
I thought I already fixed them. D:

As for the rest, I'll see what I can do.
awp
Yeah the chin I've drawn is too pointy; might want to take the bottom third of that face and vertically squish it by about 30% (just a guess)

The model you've posted is non-mesh-smoothed, right? It'd be good, I think, to eventually get away from using meshsmooth if it's going to give problems when shading and the like.
Loofah_old
I brightened up the eyes a bit on awps request-
nuudles
Topic Starter
Loginer
Here's the latest version of the head. New shape, new eyes and new hair. I'm still working on the hair, the shading and her weird expression.
awp
Eyes are still too not-bright-green and cheekbones are still too saggy, but I'm starting to like it.

Loofah: could you try using #00FF00 or something close to that as a base colour?
nuudles
Hey. I've actually got another friend who's also interested in trying for Pippi's voice. Here's a second set with her attempts.

Download: pippiset2.zip
5ku112
Atmey
Cheeks look lie one of an old hag. :o
but there is improvement.
[deleted user]
Hi there, I'm one of the ones that Nuudle has posted as far as voices go (the one he just posted a day or two ago/the one that sounds like 'Peach'). I'd really like some feedback so I can be of more assistance. If anyone wants to help me via talk or sending .zips of my test, it would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know :)
awp
I'd say this is definitely something to work with. I'll nit pick in just a second, but firstly, overall:

are you tightening your vocal chords to make your voice a higher pitch? The recordings sound just a tiiiiny bit too high for my liking (I hope this isn't discouraging). I'm not saying it's bad or wrong or anything, but I'm wondering what it would sound like if you loosened your vocal chords just a smidgen. You sound very close to what I imagine Pippi sounding like during the "Are you ready?" bit, but since we're "very close" I'm hoping we can eventually reach "dead on".

On the other hand, I could be wrong, and maybe they need to be tightened just a tiny bit. This is like locating the offset for a beatmap - except I have no experience =(

Nit PIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

"Are you ready?"

Really, the only thing I don't like about this is the way "Go!" sounds; the rest is pretty much perfect. I think the Go! hangs a bit too much, and sounds a bit like "Goo!" (as someone would say when impersonating an infant a la ga-ga-goo-goo) rather than "Go!"

"Applause"

I don't really think I can nit pick this one. After listening to it x number of times all I can say is it would start to grate on one's nerves after a lengthy play session, but that can be avoided by having multiple "applause" recordings. Moving on.

"Combo break"

Given the length and level of despair in the voice this sounds more like a "You're about to fail" rather than a simple combo-break. I'm thinking more along the lines of "Woops!" or "Ack!" for combo break - however, I think I'm just splitting hairs. That's not to say it couldn't be used for sectionfail or something like that.

Listening through them again, the only other comment that comes to mind is that, while they sound well recorded, they sound a bit 128kbps-y. And lo and behold, bitrate: 128kbps ={

I think it's quite good, though.

Also, wait, there was another voice posting? I think I missed that.
[deleted user]
There is another one by Nuudles before he posted mine (:. I'm going to try out new things, especially because I'm currently studying the EB Divas right now, and hopefully that'll help a little bit. I'll get back to you with new samples today (:. I'm very committed to this now (You can ask Nuudles, I'm constantly asking him to help me improve) and I'd like to do as well as I can, even if I don't get the spot. Thanks for your critique, it will help me progress (:.

Edit: Alright, I've put together some other samples with a few vocal changes here and there (the slight vocal relaxation like you said, Awp, at least I hope so hehe). I also tried out some of the EB Divas breaks and such, so those are some of the weird noises. Just let me know if any work, or if you like the sound in one more so than the other! I'm so sorry to keep pestering you guys about this. If you want me to stop, please let me know!

And as far as the 128kbps sound recording, if you know another sound device I can get (I don't have a very well off mic at hand here, since I'm in college dorms right now haha) for recording via the computer, could you tell me please? Thanks!

awp is inside this post and he says: Check out this post for the download - we might also wish to move the VA discussions there, too. This thread is for criticizing Lolginer endlessly discussion on model development exclusively I suppose?

nuudles

awp wrote:

Listening through them again, the only other comment that comes to mind is that, while they sound well recorded, they sound a bit 128kbps-y. And lo and behold, bitrate: 128kbps ={

I think it's quite good, though.

Also, wait, there was another voice posting? I think I missed that.
I tried to clean up the sounds from their originals with Audacity. The original recordings were with a webcam mic, so there was a lot of noise to remove. That may account for some of the deficiencies in recording.

Hiryuu wrote:

And as far as the 128kbps sound recording, if you know another sound device I can get (I don't have a very well off mic at hand here, since I'm in college dorms right now haha) for recording via the computer, could you tell me please? Thanks!
If you know anyone that has Rock Band/Guitar Hero: World Tour, the microphone that comes with those is just a rebranded Logitech microphone, so those should work in your computer and will probably be better than the one built into your webcam. As far as software, I'd recommend Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
[deleted user]
All I have is a regular Rock Band microphone, and even that is limited to use (it's at home and others use it, so it would be hard to obtain for more than a weekend). I can get Audacity though, and maybe that would help.
awp
You did a pretty damn good job with that noise cleanup, nuudles. Just sayin'.

To start, I do like the tone in pippimoreenergy. I'm trying to match up the character in my head while listening to the samples, and I find it to be easiest here. I haven't got the energy to nitpick things right now - that, or I don't feel I have any right or reason TO nitpick, because the quality of the voice acting sounds good to me. I don't wanna harp on this too much without getting other people's opinions. We need some more comments from a larger spread of people right now, methinks.

I like it, though.
[deleted user]
You don't understand how much your words mean, Awp! Thank you so much, and I hope that I can provide the same energy in that clip for others. Hopefully we'll get more feedback soon then (:. Thanks for your hard work and your help, really Awp!
5ku112
Why dont we ask Rina-Chan?

She voiced the female voices in brawl taunts if you dont know and she seems perfect!

Link:http://suzumiya-haruhi.net/
show more