forum

The official osu! mascot

posted
Total Posts
show more
awp
It's starting to look quite good. I like the gloves. Front most bangs and the curly bit on her face could do to be a bit thicker still bitchbitchbitch and face needs depth bitchbitchbitch. Skirt currently looks a little way too smooth to me though =x It closely matches the chibi design, but it might need to be adapted to a more realistic look in-game.
peppy
Keep it up loginer - this is really starting to come along :).
Topic Starter
Loginer
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
NCDyson
dang, you beat me to the neck thing. i haven't messed with my model of her since i posted the picture. my agent J model was alot crappier than I remember it being. I spent all day redoing him, and now I`ve only gotta do the hair and sunglasses before the modeling is complete.

you weren't kidding about coloring.
awp
Gettin' closer and closer

seriously though I'm not gonna shut up about the flatness of the face until it's fixed - how does it look from a side view?
Behon
The arms look kind of tiny, at least from that perspective. Do they reach all the way down to the hips when lowered?
NCDyson
any chance of seeing a wireframe render? I`m curious to see how you handled the areas for the joints and things.
Topic Starter
Loginer

awp wrote:

Gettin' closer and closer

seriously though I'm not gonna shut up about the flatness of the face until it's fixed - how does it look from a side view?
Like this.

Behonkiss wrote:

The arms look kind of tiny, at least from that perspective. Do they reach all the way down to the hips when lowered?
Yes.

NCDyson wrote:

any chance of seeing a wireframe render? I`m curious to see how you handled the areas for the joints and things.
Sure.

Latest pictures. Fixed some shading problems, improved the coloring slightly (The top still needs improvements) and made the face rounder. Again. :<

Normal render
Cartoon render

The top has some really short sleeves at the moment. Should I remove them?
NCDyson
not too shabby.
I look forward to seeing it's completion.

now I`ve gone from wanting to go to bed, to wanting to work on my Agent J. the new one's only really needing the hair, and well, a complete collar section revampment, and he's ready for the real work to begin. skinning (for bones) and UV mapping.

lions and tigers and bears, oh my. weighting and wiring and IK, oh my. planar and cylinder and sphere mapping, oh my.

'scuse me. I`ve been up for way too long.
Ikari_jn0594

RemmyX25 wrote:

chan wrote:

Why don't you model peppy :P
I still elect my idea of Peppy's avatar popping out at the 30x/50x/100x combo marks
A Peppy Skin! Brilliant Idea! Now I just need more pictues...
RemmyX25
Update on the voice acting

You guys are gonna kill me.

Ok, so since the first batch of voice files i sent in, Tina and I have gotten into plenty of catfights, but we've made up too late, and she never had a chance squall meet up with me again.

Now I'm in college. 215 planets away. actually it's probably less than a planet away. maybe 1/65536 of a planet away

Sooooo yea. Either I find someone here with a perfect voice for Pippi, I wait until my breaks when I attempt to hang out with Tina again (mind you, she never found time to say FUCK YOU to me before I left for college), or someone else take up the project. leaving me feeling like a poop.

Just thought I'd let you all know, sorry for the high heels...

--Rem

EDIT: Thanks for having fun with my post.
chan
We could always use my girlfriend's voice for Pippi. I hope this won't curse our relationship.
Topic Starter
Loginer
Hey, here's an idea: What about a synthetic voice?
Behon
I posted that amateur voice acting board a while back, so we could always try that. I'd like to see if Chan's girlfriend is up for it first, though.
NCDyson
I think a synthetic voice might sound kinda creepy. even as advanced as they've gotten, still, creepy.
chan
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
Topic Starter
Loginer
Epic announcement: The project is still alive.
During the last three days I slowly improved the skirt a bit, worked on the colors, made the model more low-poly (12000 triangles, 3000 tris less than last time), did some tweaks on the boots, removed the sleeves on the top, removed a lot of gliches and created some placeholder textures. I'm sorry I didn't post a picture so awp could bitch about the flat face with someone else popping in every now and then to add a pointless message that won't help me improve the model at all. Now, let's finish this up, rig it, animate it, and it'll instantly be ready for the game through the magic of the already existing dancer support which peppy added in 5 minutes. YAY!

OK, finished ranting. Picture in a second.
Edit: There's the picture. I'll work on the face today/tomorrow, and if no one else adds any criticism, I'll add textures. Oh, and one more thing about the small chin: The head is pointing upwards by about 30 degrees.

Edit2: I'm too tired to work on it today, but here's a bonus pic with a cloth modifier on the skirt (No mental ray render, though).
http://up.ppy.sh/files/pippiskirt.png

awp
The belt is an actual poly object and not just a texture, right?

Download: ZUN - Mannen Oki Kasa Nigo Chuui Wo (KanbeKotori) [Hard].osu
Topic Starter
Loginer
Yes, it's a small extrusion in the skirt.

Also, this message is to EVERYONE who thinks this is oh so over 9000 Crysis 2 hi-poly.
1. Let's download and install 3DMark 2003. This is (obviously) a 5 years old benchmark.
http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark03/
When it asks you for a key, just click on "Register Later" or whatever the button is called.

2. Run it. The first test renders about 30-40 planes at the same time, and each and every one of these are fully textured (the mascot is currently using simple diffuse colors). The mascot consists of 11904 triangles. A single plane in this scene, minus the top (I think the 3D dumper missed it. D:), consists of 6801 triangles. If you can get 60 frames per second with only two stinking aeroplanes on screen at the same time, you can, without a doubt, run osu! with dancers on.

Also, for a more comparable example, the girl with the sword in the third test consists of 14503 triangles.
kesadisan
This is just my opinion, but anyone doesn't think about making Cel-Shaded model?
While Osu! is full of Cool Cartoon Looking...
and the character rather like Manga art to me...
Cel-Shaded will be cool...

i'm working on it...
just wait if you to see my sucks 3D :o

Topic Starter
Loginer

Topic Starter
Loginer
Round enough? <_<
Also, I'm currently just perfecting the shading and coloring (I see the "skinhair", will be fixed). I'm more or less satisfied with how the model looks at the moment, and will move on to textures, rigging and optimizing if no one else complains about anything (I can and probably will improve the hair in the future, so don't mention that ATM), which means the model will be ready for osu! within 2 weeks unless something unexpected happens. But is osu! ready fo- *shot*
*fears the animation part ;_;*

Topic Starter
Loginer

Now that I have your attention, should I apply a cloth modifier to the skirt to make it look more realistic (It'll still be static), or should I leave it alone?
Saturos
I think you may have done something wrong. It appears she had a little trouble dancing.

Loginer wrote:

Now that I have your attention, should I apply a cloth modifier to the skirt to make it look more realistic?
Yes if she isn't cell-shaded; maybe if cell-shaded.
Topic Starter
Loginer

YoshiKart
For the top pic, what's the white space to the top right of the nose? Empty space?
Topic Starter
Loginer

YoshiKart wrote:

For the top pic, what's the white space to the top right of the nose? Empty space?
It's a white hole. It expands when you miss notes, and kills you dead if you fail the song. :D
Or a "bug" I already fixed. D:

Edit: A 10 cm long Pippi model without the skirt would apparently have a volume of circa 17 cubic cm. That means an IRL model would cost about $30 on Shapeways. Is this win?

Edit2: Last time I tried using Mesh Smooth on top of Unwrap UVW (Texture aligner), it screwed up the textures. Looks like I did something wrong, so forget about all that can't-fix-this-later crap. :D

Edit3: Very little progress done lately (16 October ATM), so to make up for it, here's a screenshot of Pippi's secret, not-so-unlockable steel form. >:3

Topic Starter
Loginer
I've taken a bunch of placeholder textures and applied them to the model. Here's the result (Warning: Face will give you nightmares): http://up.ppy.sh/files/pippicreepy.png
Now, I'll need two things: Suggestions, and help.

Suggestions: I was thinking about making the little buttons on the shoes into actual buttons rather than a texture, since they look way too flat like this. The circle on the belt will also be a mesh. I'm also going to improve the zipper texture. Also, don't worry about the face being kind of fucked up, I'll fix that. Any suggestions beyond this?

Help: Good 2D artists. The face. Help me. Now. D:
Basically, I need an eye and a mouth. They have to be colored and in the format PNG. Transparent background would be preferable, but if that's not possible, a background with the RGB value #FCD8B4 (252 216 180) would work, too.

Download: Bernstein & Ruegger - Freakazoid! (Nicogeta) [Footix's Normal].osu
Loofah_old
I could probably do the face for you, give me a while and I'll most the results...

Heres a preview of the texture I made, this is obviously resized emensly, so I'll give you high res ones with ransparent backgrounds if you like em
Topic Starter
Loginer

Loofah wrote:

I could probably do the face for you, give me a while and I'll most the results...

Heres a preview of the texture I made, this is obviously resized emensly, so I'll give you high res ones with ransparent backgrounds if you like em
They look a bit too "serious business", make them look more like in Sarumaru's picture/the chibi version. The eyelashes also seem a bit overdone.
awp
Loofah_old
OK, I finished the new eyes for you, if you like these ones I can give a hi res transparent versions.

Topic Starter
Loginer
Much better, but they're a bit too round. Try moving the upper part a bit to make them longer, anime-styled eyes are more rectangular.
Also, think you could add some eyebrows while you're at it?
Loofah_old
adamskii_uk

Loofah wrote:

OK, update on the eyes-

I'll send a hi res version when you want
Going by what Loginer said in his previous post, I think he is after eyes that look similar to the character in awp's avatar.

Topic Starter
Loginer

adamskii_uk wrote:

Loofah wrote:

OK, update on the eyes-

I'll send a hi res version when you want
Going by what Loginer said in his previous post, I think he is after eyes that look similar to the character in awp's avatar.

Yeah, although they're getting there. :D
Loofah_old
soo..... you want lines on the inner side?
adamskii_uk
Loofah_old
Ok then, taht's the lines done.

any other little things that you want tweaked?

How about ideas on how to make the mouth?
show more