The official osu! mascot

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Loginer

NCDyson wrote:

sweet! i hope we see her ingame soon™

on a side note, anyone know if it's planned for the format to be open enough for people to make their own dancers?
We'll be using .x, AFAIK.

soradg123 wrote:

Which is why I had suggested using a universal bone structure for most custom models to follow, something like this:
*bones*
Adding support for other dancers should be trivial once Pippi is up and running in-game. A "universal bone structure" won't be necessary.

Also, I'm currently working on modeling a new body and clothes. I think I'll have something ready by Friday, so expect a new pic on Sunday when I'm actually done.
awp

Loginer wrote:

No one's been too specific about what's wrong with the nose

awp wrote:

if you're trying to figure something out I'd recommend adding the base of the nose and nostrils

noses don't end in a point =| the bottom of the nose is the widest part; visibly wider than the bridge

in fact, it's kind of /\ shaped in general, vs || shaped
Gabi
it is super hard to make a nice looking and FITTING nose for a character like pippi. it would be nice if anyone could paste in an example of a 3D characters nose because a nose like this

would not fit her
LuigiHann
The current nose isn't realistic but it looks perfect in cel-shading so it is fine
awp
At certain angles, yes. At others, it's a bit jarring. One minute flaw can completely throw off an otherwise gorgeous work of art.

iNiS's models do the same thing (their noses have bases, as oppose to being straight lines).
Torran
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
crystalsuicune
Now that's much better!Good work,Loginer~
(*coughfullbodypiccerplz?cough*)
Daru
Random thought:
Is it possible to convert that model into a Miku Miku Dance model?
crystalsuicune
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
NCDyson
I'm not as familiar with the .x file format, however I do believe there could be some problems with a "universal" system.

for instance, if a rotational value is off in the base pose, the arm might bend the wrong way. Easy fix, but still can be annoying.

Or, If a dancer requires more bones than the animation set has, for instance, if you want a ponytail or an accessory to move with the dancer, you'd have to have it use the animation set in the dancer's model file for those bones. Then you get into the issue of telling Osu! which bones to do that for, and then you have to animate those bones with the dance animations. But wait, then you'd have another problem. to animate those bones decently, you'd need to have the animations on hand so that you can do it.

If you try to solve that problem with things like a "dynamic movement" or whatever system, you get the problem of needing to set limits so that they can't go the wrong way, and/or do some collision checking to make sure that those items don't go where they're not supposed to.

If you don't allow for more than the standard bones, then you'll get characters with long hair/other things that doesn't animate nicely, and then it just looks cheap.

Besides that, I'd say that if all the dancers did the exact same dance, then it would be kinda boring because you wouldn't get to see a different take on the style/dance. Yeah, it means a lot more work in the long run for the people who have to make the dancers, but I'm pretty sure peppy has a lot better things to do than try to find a way to make a universal system that allows for as much flexibility as people would want.

I would just be happy with a set of 3dsmax files that had a biped doing the dances and stuff, and then I could just work off of those to get an idea of the style and timing, and also variate it according to the character.
Topic Starter
Loginer
Gemi
The arms are too thick in the center part. Also, I would've said they seem slightly too long, but I guess not if you say so. The legs and body seem fine to me.

Also, is it possible to ask for slightly larger breasts without being called a pervert? ;)
(My girlfriend started laughing when I wrote this and told me that she agrees, after calling me "her cute little pervert". :) )
Topic Starter
Loginer
Improved the neck, rounded the elbows out, fixed the leaning, lowered the arms by 40 degrees and made the breasts slightly larger.

Gemi wrote:

The arms are too thick in the center part.
Not really, although the area between the elbow and the upper arm might be a little thick.
awp
The ass is too flat and might be an inch or two too high (not sure on this, though)
Topic Starter
Loginer
Made some bigger changes to the breasts this time, improved the shoulders/neck, increased the length of the fingers and made the butt less flat.

awp
Are the kneecaps too low? They look that way to me. Maybe it's the hips/waist...No, hang on, pretty sure the knees are too low. Bend the leg back as far as it can go, and the heel should touch the ass.

Shape of the arms is looking nicer, but the hips/waist are/is definitely too high up.

/steal Al's concept art for example:

Topic Starter
Loginer

Topic Starter
Loginer
Ta-da.

Ephemeral
The cel-shading looks weird as all hell on the bellybutton and the skin could do with a bit of touching up, but otherwise - a damn fine job, Loginer. A damn fine job indeed. The tip of the skull has too small a polycount by the looks of things - you can see a clear edge at the utmost top.
RemmyX25
Love
Gemi
Nice
Derekku
Awesome~
Torran
Beautiful! So when do we see her in-game?
Rokodo
*w*

Sweet! x3
Topic Starter
Loginer

Ephemeral wrote:

The cel-shading looks weird as all hell on the bellybutton and the skin could do with a bit of touching up, but otherwise - a damn fine job, Loginer. A damn fine job indeed. The tip of the skull has too small a polycount by the looks of things - you can see a clear edge at the utmost top.
Added a few edges. As for the very top, it's supposed to have a sharp angle. Not sure what you mean by touching up the skin, but don't worry about the belly button.

soradg123 wrote:

Beautiful! So when do we see her in-game?
As soon as I've rigged and animated her, which I'll get on with once I'm sure the model is good enough. I don't want to spend 2 hours tweaking the limbs and then come back here to find someone ranting about the shape of her thumb.
Ephemeral

Loginer wrote:

Added a few edges. As for the very top, it's supposed to have a sharp angle. Not sure what you mean by touching up the skin, but don't worry about the belly button.
I'm thinking more along the lines of adding more detail since the skin is quite plain - if nothing else, you could posterize the clothing section of the skin to enhance the cartoony feel the cel-shaders give it. Is it possible for you to give us a pose of the model in various lighting scenarios? I have a feeling it may be just the lack of such a scenario which is invoking the ire of my OCD regarding the skin.
awp

Loginer wrote:

As soon as I've rigged and animated her
Oh boy that will be a quick and pleasant adventure now won't it?

Glad to see the model turned out so well (eventually). I'm just expecting the animation to take another long while to feel "just right" though.
Jalatiphra
very nice work. this will be awesome when its done :9
Topic Starter
Loginer
Just found a tool that pretty much automates the skinning process. A crack was made a few hours ago, so things will happen ITT as soon as I get my hands on it.
NCDyson

Loginer wrote:

Just found a tool that pretty much automates the skinning process. A crack was made a few hours ago, so things will happen ITT as soon as I get my hands on it.
By skinning, do you mean the UV mapping process or the skinning of the mesh to the bones?
If you're talking about UVs, the tool that you're talking about wouldn't happen to be Unwrella would it? that tool is a god send.
Edd4Sale
Lovely.
Topic Starter
Loginer

NCDyson wrote:

Loginer wrote:

By skinning, do you mean the UV mapping process or the skinning of the mesh to the bones?
If you're talking about UVs, the tool that you're talking about wouldn't happen to be Unwrella would it? that tool is a god send.
Nope, I'm talking about BonesPro. It turned out to crash Max every time it autosaved though, so in the end I was forced to use Skin. Oh well.

So, dance moves. Any ideas?
LuigiHann
adam2046
You forgot the sprinkler.

Edit: LEEEEEEEET'S DOOOOOO THEEE TIIIIME WAAAARP AGAAAAAAAIN
m980
Anything from EBA

Maybe even a custom dance for DSMN
Jarby
PELVIC THRUST
Rolled
Soulja boy pls
RemmyX25

Rolled wrote:

Soulja boy pls
Oh you.

Also, the basic ouendan cheer would be nice as well.
Torran
RemmyX25

soradg123 wrote:

RemmyX25 wrote:

Also, the basic ouendan cheer would be nice as well.
In that case, we should also implement accessory add-ons such as pompoms.
Uh, i was referring to the male squad cheer. Something like this?

show more