forum

How I find the best pen grip? (Or at least a stable one)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Frc
Well, I thinked before it was just a personal matter, but the grip i was using for like one month (it´s really unstable and fails in the hardest moments, and if i play with that style for one hour my hand gets hurt), and i don´t know how it happened, but suddenly i was using other pen grip (something like the first and the third finger touching each other, the second finger up pressing for spins... i´m not really sure), and i was suddenly able to do things to S Magic Girl Lunatic or A with nice combo and accuracy 5+ stars Extras with that grip, it felt really well, my hand didn´t get hurt and the cursor moved just the way i liked to move it since i bought a tablet.
But for some reason, when I try to take the pen in that position, i find it´s just impossible to take the pen that way, so i´m really confused.

I´ve tried for getting used for other grips, but they´re all really unstable no matter how times I try. I don´t know how to take a pen grip which is good for me, basically, just trying isn´t helping me at all.
otoed1
Just keep trying new ones, the one I use starts to hurt a lot after an hour,but I play with it anyways. I use my index and thumb to grip the pen, along with my middle finger. This is stable to me. Its all preference.
ZerotheZombie
I think the mistake you might be making is switching between grips before giving yourself a chance to adjust to it. All grips are uncomfortable and painful when you first start out, but you have to allow time for your muscles to adjust to it. Depending on how well you adjust, it can take hours of gameplay before you get used to it. Just pick something you feel SHOULD be optimal (as in, it makes the most logical sense) and stick with it until your muscles adjust to it.
And remember, you don't have to rely completely on your hand position for stability in gameplay. You can always use outside aids like grips on the pen (you can use rubber elastics rapped around the pen, a band-aid, grippy tape, etc...) as well as adjusting your seat height or body distance from the tablet. I find having your arm higher up (a lower seat) is less stable, as well as having your tablet too close to your body. Of course, either extreme is bad...
I find the best grip for me, personally, is placing my index finger through to my pinky on the outside of the pen with my thumb on the inside pressing the pen into the fingers on the outside. This gives both comfort and, I find, a lot of range. I also use a band-aid rapped around the tablet to provide my hand with some grip.
Aria Kanzaki
Go with the most basic grip-your normal pencil grip. I use that grip, and it doesn't hurt since you are used to it.
Kurabuman
You need to find one that is relatively comfortable and that you feel is natural then, even if it hurts, let it sink in. This will prove that you're not only improving but are also building stamina.

You gotta play with it for more than 1 or 2 songs, play with the grip for days, weeks and you'll just simply get used to it. This is what I did and found a position that gave me a skill boost.
Gumpy
Play the game to find it.
chainpullz
The best pen grip is the one you feel most comfortable with. Find a way that feels natural to hold the pen and keep playing. Aim doesn't come without lots of practice regardless of which grip you go with.
Mandrias

otoed1 wrote:

Just keep trying new ones, the one I use starts to hurt a lot after an hour,but I play with it anyways. I use my index and thumb to grip the pen, along with my middle finger. This is stable to me. Its all preference.
I think me and you have the same pen grip. It hurts after a bit but I can't play with any other grip. T_T
DeletedUser_4041880
The question is; Why don't people ever use their normal pen/pencil grip?
Green Platinum

Frostei wrote:

The question is; Why don't people ever use their normal pen/pencil grip?
Because people are idiots who want magic spells to solve all their problems, they probably tried this first and found that they couldn't do airman or rainbow dash first try
otoed1

mandrias87 wrote:

otoed1 wrote:

I think me and you have the same pen grip. It hurts after a bit but I can't play with any other grip. T_T
I recently broke my tablet T_T. I play mouse now :C.
Houtarou Oreki
I know this is a giga-necro, but I think it's justified because this topic is the top result in google when searching "osu best pen grip" and the replies here consist of this useless crap:
  1. "just play-test all of them yourself" - as if this question isn't asked specifically to avoid this
  2. "simply use normal pen grip people are stupid smh".
So here's a well written reply by Omgforz who actually tested multiple grips. He describes why he thinks some are better than others and what you should pay attention to:
https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comments/29zn4m/holding_your_pen_pengrip/ciq3kbj/

I also copied his reply here if you don't want to open the external website
I have switched grips numerous times, due to always analyzing what I'm doing and how I might improve on it. This way I experimented a lot, but I never went too extreme into a direction. (like going with a really small area, or going fullscreen fullarea) Always staying at full area and just changing the window size in case I had any problems adapting at first. So I can't say anything about really small tablet areas or grips which resemble writing on a sheet of paper.

What I have experienced is, that those vertical grips allow you more freedom in any direction. Your grip on the other hand probably has problems when going with full area and extending your fingers to a far end corner, you'll most likely loose posture, and thus need to readjust.

Giving more freedom, allows you to tweak other things, which suddenly might seem a lot more important, once you have this "base" of a grip. How your wrist is angled, is your wrist in front of the tablet, or is it on it? If it's in front, can your fingers reach the corners? Do you need to grip higher? These are quite important factors which influence you greatly, almost as important as gripping the thing itself.

Experimenting is key. Every time I switched grips (not from copying other players, but just feeling this new way of trying to aim, and rolling with it for a few weeks, gave me an idea of the advantages and disadvantages or sheer differences compared to other grips. Sometimes you just feel more comfortable, sometimes you feel like dying, but you weirdly enough have better precision. Analyzing what is giving you this precision, and what is actually causing you discomfort is really important, going with the things which ultimately help you, and getting rid of things which discomfort you is going to lead you to your ideal grip.

The general idea I learned from grip to grip, is that finger control is absolutely important. Once you have somewhat of a comfortable grip, and you're used to it, most of the aiming is going to take place in your head. Feeling the movement before you even execute it, that's what you have to get down to be quite consistent. (it's basically building up muscle memory and concentrating enough, with some analyzing here and there)

Things I learned when switching grips
  1. Using fingers as much as you can grants the most consistency when doing absurd jumps
  2. Because of 1), finger control is really important, being able to flick quickly and controlled without losing posture.
  3. playing around with how you angle your wrist is quite important, sometimes you feel like you have an off-day, and one of the possibilities why, is that you have your wrist angled a bit different than usual
  4. playing around with how high you grip your pen is important too, I always thought the lower you go, the better, because you have more control, but the higher I gripped the pen, the more consistent I got and the more comfortable I felt. (also required me to use my fingers more than my wrist) (this is my experience, don't think it'll be the same for you, just experiment!)
  5. the more finger control you have, the less need you have to tense up I actually noticed that I tense up because I feel insecure about my aim, feeling as if I wouldn't tense up that much I would perhaps even miss. I still tense up, but that's on 3 minute long fullscreen jumps which I do not practice at all. (I'm looking at you, guitar vs piano aqo training maps!)
Here's another link to something I wrote some time ago which might help you http://ask.fm/Omgfzor/answer/114475915778 (I'm too lazy to rewrite all that)

And to answer your questions

How do you hold your pen? (pictures appreciated)

Don't have a picture ready, here have this instead http://ask.fm/Omgfzor/answer/114513548290

Why do you hold your pen like that?

Because after experimenting I felt this was great, my old one was without the pinky extended and I used that one for quite some time, but I changed it because my pinky started hurting for no reason on caren_sk-level maps. So I extended it and that's how I'm playing to this day. However, I still change things frequently, like the gripping height, the angle and the window size (basically active area with using full area)

Do you actually like the way you hold the pen or does it bother you?

I like it, after all, I got to this through experimenting and trying out things, it bothered me a bit at the start, because I had ZERO finger control. It was painful, but the good painful which is due to exhaustion, and not due to sheer pain.

What kinda of area do you play on?

Full area

Holy shit, didn't expect this to be such a wall of text. Hope you somehow get what I'm saying and hopefully it'll help you.
Molly Sandera

Houtarou Oreki wrote:

I know this is a giga-necro, but I think it's justified because this topic is the top result in google when searching "osu best pen grip" and the replies here consist of this useless crap:
  1. "just play-test all of them yourself" - as if this question isn't asked specifically to avoid this
  2. "simply use normal pen grip people are stupid smh".
So here's a well written reply by Omgforz who actually tested multiple grips. He describes why he thinks some are better than others and what you should pay attention to:
https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comments/29zn4m/holding_your_pen_pengrip/ciq3kbj/

I also copied his reply here if you don't want to open the external website
I have switched grips numerous times, due to always analyzing what I'm doing and how I might improve on it. This way I experimented a lot, but I never went too extreme into a direction. (like going with a really small area, or going fullscreen fullarea) Always staying at full area and just changing the window size in case I had any problems adapting at first. So I can't say anything about really small tablet areas or grips which resemble writing on a sheet of paper.

What I have experienced is, that those vertical grips allow you more freedom in any direction. Your grip on the other hand probably has problems when going with full area and extending your fingers to a far end corner, you'll most likely loose posture, and thus need to readjust.

Giving more freedom, allows you to tweak other things, which suddenly might seem a lot more important, once you have this "base" of a grip. How your wrist is angled, is your wrist in front of the tablet, or is it on it? If it's in front, can your fingers reach the corners? Do you need to grip higher? These are quite important factors which influence you greatly, almost as important as gripping the thing itself.

Experimenting is key. Every time I switched grips (not from copying other players, but just feeling this new way of trying to aim, and rolling with it for a few weeks, gave me an idea of the advantages and disadvantages or sheer differences compared to other grips. Sometimes you just feel more comfortable, sometimes you feel like dying, but you weirdly enough have better precision. Analyzing what is giving you this precision, and what is actually causing you discomfort is really important, going with the things which ultimately help you, and getting rid of things which discomfort you is going to lead you to your ideal grip.

The general idea I learned from grip to grip, is that finger control is absolutely important. Once you have somewhat of a comfortable grip, and you're used to it, most of the aiming is going to take place in your head. Feeling the movement before you even execute it, that's what you have to get down to be quite consistent. (it's basically building up muscle memory and concentrating enough, with some analyzing here and there)

Things I learned when switching grips
  1. Using fingers as much as you can grants the most consistency when doing absurd jumps
  2. Because of 1), finger control is really important, being able to flick quickly and controlled without losing posture.
  3. playing around with how you angle your wrist is quite important, sometimes you feel like you have an off-day, and one of the possibilities why, is that you have your wrist angled a bit different than usual
  4. playing around with how high you grip your pen is important too, I always thought the lower you go, the better, because you have more control, but the higher I gripped the pen, the more consistent I got and the more comfortable I felt. (also required me to use my fingers more than my wrist) (this is my experience, don't think it'll be the same for you, just experiment!)
  5. the more finger control you have, the less need you have to tense up I actually noticed that I tense up because I feel insecure about my aim, feeling as if I wouldn't tense up that much I would perhaps even miss. I still tense up, but that's on 3 minute long fullscreen jumps which I do not practice at all. (I'm looking at you, guitar vs piano aqo training maps!)
Here's another link to something I wrote some time ago which might help you http://ask.fm/Omgfzor/answer/114475915778 (I'm too lazy to rewrite all that)

And to answer your questions

How do you hold your pen? (pictures appreciated)

Don't have a picture ready, here have this instead http://ask.fm/Omgfzor/answer/114513548290

Why do you hold your pen like that?

Because after experimenting I felt this was great, my old one was without the pinky extended and I used that one for quite some time, but I changed it because my pinky started hurting for no reason on caren_sk-level maps. So I extended it and that's how I'm playing to this day. However, I still change things frequently, like the gripping height, the angle and the window size (basically active area with using full area)

Do you actually like the way you hold the pen or does it bother you?

I like it, after all, I got to this through experimenting and trying out things, it bothered me a bit at the start, because I had ZERO finger control. It was painful, but the good painful which is due to exhaustion, and not due to sheer pain.

What kinda of area do you play on?

Full area

Holy shit, didn't expect this to be such a wall of text. Hope you somehow get what I'm saying and hopefully it'll help you.
Finally, a worthy necropost. I was tired of seeing useless necroposting in forums 😅