forum

Need some advice from fellow alternating players.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ditzix
Hi. Started this game like 40 days ago, and have been a full alternator from day one (different key for every note). I did it, cause i heard it is much better and easier than single taping, so i sticked with it.

There were some problems at the start (a lot of confusion in fingering), but i got over it, and now when i started playing hards and easier insanes, it's becoming a problem again. What i mean specificaly is for example when you have a set of very fast triplets, followed by a slider, then two notes, very close to each other, one note, triplets again, etc.

Since i'm alternating, it goes like z,x,z x z,x z x,z,x... This can get really confusing at higher bpm... At times i just end up mashing, and by some miracle i still get 300's, but of course this is not optimal, and is developing into a bad habbit.

Any advices on how to possibly evade the confusion, other than concetrating more on the notes, and the order by wich you hit them, or am i better off with practising single tapping, since my reading and acc are improving really fast.
koromo

ditzix wrote:

I did it, cause i heard it is much better and easier than single taping, so i sticked with it.
It's just preference really. I started off single tapping, eventually started alternating sliders, then started alternating a few single notes and so on. Nowadays I full alt everything.

What I'm getting at is, don't try to force something if you feel it isn't right for you. Also learning to alternate properly takes a while, so even if it is indeed just right for you it can take a bit to actually master it. Alternating triplets is about the most difficult it gets I think, complex rhythms can be tough on you if you lack reading but that's a different issue.

You need good finger control, for this you need strong fingers. Can always try the good old Long Stream Practice Maps for that. 140 and 150 are nice bpms.

As for triplets, you could give Layne's practice map a shot. In the end it's all about practice.

Play more.
Enhu
koromo best poster
winber1

Enhukan wrote:

koromo best poster
i don't think you've met my godly posts yet

anyone who does not improve because of my posts are innately trash and should feel bad
Gumpy
Practice.
Rewben2

winber1 wrote:

Enhukan wrote:

koromo best poster
i don't think you've met my godly posts yet

anyone who does not improve because of my posts are innately trash and should feel bad
I tried rubbing my face against a fire extinguisher and spreading nutella over my fingers but I still can't stream 300bpm
-sev

Rewben2 wrote:

I tried rubbing my face against a fire extinguisher and spreading nutella over my fingers but I still can't stream 300bpm
Did you try the bacon though?
cheezstik
If you find it that much easier to single tap, then do it. Why force yourself to full alt, it's meant to give you an advantage at really high bpm stuff, not things like triples which can be done simply and much less confusingly by pressing xzx, xzx, or zxz, zxz etc. Full alt is also meant to give you a stamina advantage, but if you are having trouble stamina-wise doing those triples without full alt, chances are you won't do it that much more efficiently anyway even if you did full alt.

Basically, don't full alt if you don't feel more comfortable doing so, majority of the top players single tap, it should be good enough.

On another note, if you feel like you desperately want the advantages of full alt while sacrificing some skill, force yourself to full alt and just play more, you will get used to it eventually.
Lhijn
A couple of days ago/week ago I was struggleling with this, too. If you know that you can't control your fingers and start mashing, play maps with slower bpm to alternate and start getting faster. This is prob the only way to go imo.
otoed1
Practice those kinds of maps more. Or, switch to single tap. I.E. Practice or give up.
winber1

Rewben2 wrote:

i guess you must be innately trash
Topic Starter
ditzix

koromo wrote:

ditzix wrote:

I did it, cause i heard it is much better and easier than single taping, so i sticked with it.
It's just preference really. I started off single tapping, eventually started alternating sliders, then started alternating a few single notes and so on. Nowadays I full alt everything.

What I'm getting at is, don't try to force something if you feel it isn't right for you. Also learning to alternate properly takes a while, so even if it is indeed just right for you it can take a bit to actually master it. Alternating triplets is about the most difficult it gets I think, complex rhythms can be tough on you if you lack reading but that's a different issue.

You need good finger control, for this you need strong fingers. Can always try the good old Long Stream Practice Maps for that. 140 and 150 are nice bpms.

As for triplets, you could give Layne's practice map a shot. In the end it's all about practice.

Play more.
Thanks for the maps. Just realized how bad i am at triplets and doubles, even at default bpm... I also tried the stream maps, and can't even keep up with 120bpm. My hand gets tired after like 10 sec's...

I guess i relied too much on alternating, since it's basicaly half the speed you need instead of single taping and because of that, my individual finger speed is really slow, even tho. I play the piano...

Guess it's time to give my fingers some much needed practise :?

Also thanks for others who replied.
Drezi
I switched to full alt a few months ago, and it's hard at first for sure, but if you stick to it it'll work out. You can always switch to singletapping too if that feels more confortable.

If you wanna stick to alternating do NOT try to play maps where you end up mashing or confused about the fingering, play slow enough maps where you have time to think if needed so you can control your fingers properly, but maps that have triplets or other trickier rhythms, not only 1/2s and sliders, cause that doesn't really need practice. Once you get familiar with the more common rhythmic patterns it'll get easier, gradually you'll be able to handle them at faster speeds aswell, just keep at it and before you know it everything will be automatic, you won't even need to think about which finger to use at all no matter what comes.
I Give Up
Type everything with your two tapping fingers. Don't forget to alternate every letter and punctuation. Post more.
NinjaNick
If you found alternating to be confusing then you probably shouldn't be doing it. It comes down to preference, when I first began I alt tapped everything. Now I alt tap most notes but if the notes are slow enough I single tap for better accuracy.

If you still feel alternating is for you then just practice, I know that people say it all the time but it really is true. I remember when I couldn't stream the most basic set of notes. It discouraged me for a long time. Eventually I improved, I'm now able to do most streams on Insane+ beat maps. Work at it and get a mechanical keyboard with red switches :P
byfar

Rewben2 wrote:

300 bpm = 5 keys a second ezpznp
Topic Starter
ditzix

KukiMonster wrote:

Type everything with your two tapping fingers. Don't forget to alternate every letter and punctuation. Post more.
That would be quite something, to use only two fingers for typing and alternating... I had Correspondence for 4 years in highschool, and the proffesor was really strick about using the right fingering, when typing. I find myself unable to type any other way, than the "proper" one now. Fortunately, this is not the case with mobiles and tablet, where i use only one finger.

NinjaNick wrote:

If you found alternating to be confusing then you probably shouldn't be doing it. It comes down to preference, when I first began I alt tapped everything. Now I alt tap most notes but if the notes are slow enough I single tap for better accuracy.

If you still feel alternating is for you then just practice, I know that people say it all the time but it really is true. I remember when I couldn't stream the most basic set of notes. It discouraged me for a long time. Eventually I improved, I'm now able to do most streams on Insane+ beat maps. Work at it and get a mechanical keyboard with red switches :P
It can get confusing really easy, but when it's not, it's soooo much easier than single tapping. I guess, i'll try it for a few more weeks, and if i hit a wall, then i will try single tapping.

Yes, a mechanical keyboard would be better for sure, since i'm using a cheap rubberdome one, but unfortunatley, being a student and all, i don't really have the money for one :cry:
Enhu

winber1 wrote:

Rewben2 wrote:

i guess you must be innately trash
I tried them and worked for me, now I can stream 300bpm for about 300 notes!!1!1!!1one!! thank you based burger-san, god of posts.