forum

O-rings

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ivan
Hello everyone, i have a question for all the people that use o-rings or have used them before. How do they feel? Travel Distance? Are they worth buying? I would like to buy them to reduce the noise for my keyboard and sometimes when i type / tap , the tip of my fingers hurt. I've also noticed that sometimes i can't lift my fingers up due to the shock of the board from my keyboard.

Also, would getting these type of o-rings work? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150pcs-White-Rub ... 41845983ad

I use cherry mx reds (i need o-rings for reds because these are pretty loud for me imo x.x)
nrl
I use them. They definitely reduce noise, and the effect on travel distance is noticeable. In terms of performance it isn't a huge difference at all.
Rewben2
If sound is a factor then they definitely help in that way. I have them but personally prefer playing without them, I just don't like the rubbery feel. Some people do like them so eh, it's just preference.

I don't know about the white/clear ones, I use the blue ones. I think 1.5mm is quite thin but you can stack two on eachother if you want.
Noobsicle
they're worth it if sound is a problem for you. buy that set and try it out, it's only $1.58 anyway

the o-rings you've linked don't show any information about its actual hardness. usually o-rings made for mechanical keyboards would have a hardness value listed (common ones are 40A/50A), the higher the value, the harder the o-ring is huehueajajaxd. different hardness values will have slightly different feels, 40A will feel more rubbery and have less travel distance reduction than 50A, but because of its softness, it'd probably reduce a lot more sound and reduce more shock in your fingers when typing/tapping

you should try out a sampler kit and compare them with the clear o-rings, if you intend on buying them

the only real disadvantage of using o-rings is the lack of clackity goodness

e: i have 50A o-rings, imo they feel slightly rubbery but the travel reduction on it is nice. in terms of noise reduction, i still think it's loud if you slam on your keys, 40A o-rings would probably work better