forum

No sleep?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Blanky
I've contemplated how much extra time I would have for mapping and/or league if I quit WoW. It's really tempting.
After quitting WoW and league, I must say, it has allowed me to develop in osu! a lot faster than I would have had I not quit those 2 games.

Update: I spent 1 hour in trying to find the bpm(song changes bpm a few times), and I quit. Finding the bpm is way to hard for me.
Athrun
Play for fun. Start small and build up on it.
Gumpy
Just don't sleep it takes away 8 hours of your day.
HaruryuuSan
Get some sleep,bro. It's really important. :/
E m i

silmarilen wrote:

6 hours per day playing osu
lol scrubs
;^)
Athrun

[ Momiji ] wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

6 hours per day playing osu
lol scrubs
;^)
How long do you play a day.
Karuta-_old_1
If you are a person like me, who usually doesn't sleep much, it takes a few more days of good sleep to get into condition

yes, sleep deprivation is a bitch
RaneFire
Sleep deprivation affects my awareness and ability to focus, not my reflexes. If I really try to, I can play osu! while tired, but it takes a lot more effort.
ZenithPhantasm
If I don't get enough sleep my ADHD starts acting up and I end up losing my reading skills (impulse control skills) but my reactions usually doesn't get worse.
Kraminka
I find that I tend to get better when I've pulled an all-nighter, I guess in my tired state I zone everything out aside from osu!.
I get a lot of my good scores during the very early hours of the day, but shortly after that period of flow-state, my skill deteriorates really quickly, usually around midday.

I assume this is due to the high frequency of all-nighters I do, usually at least once a week during University terms and lot more during the breaks. :P
E m i

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

late answer, but...
like all the time
Stalactic

[ Momiji ] wrote:

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

late answer, but...
like all the time
He's not lying. I've seen him getting scores at 4 am, even though he was online at 4 pm.
I still wonder how is he capable of going to school, making homework etc etc.
Oh right, he drinks 7 liters of energy drinks every day(night?).
Yakuyan
Without having sleep is a major problem with anybody when playing any game. But when it comes down to having little sleep, it depends on the person. Some people might be beast without having much sleep and some might be complete shit. I have played almost an all-nighter and I can tell you that, yes it does decrease your reflexes, accuracy, aim, well really everything becomes shit. But I believe it depends on the person but usually that type of stuff happens.
chainpullz

TenderFeeling wrote:

He's not lying. I've seen him getting scores at 4 am, even though he was online at 4 pm.
I still wonder how is he capable of going to school, making homework etc etc.
Oh right, he drinks 7 liters of energy drinks every day(night?).
2 cups of coffee before osu! works too (equivalent of 4-6 servings of mountain dew depending on strength).
Insyni
I'm not sure why... less sleep always seems to make my reaction speed and aim better and my accuracy worse.

Then again, not getting enough sleep feels awful.
[Superstar]_old

Ultrayano wrote:

I sleep 4-6h during the week because I don't like to sleep early. (1:00-6:00 -> wake up -> work)
But I'm also one of the permanent tired people. I feel weak every day because I need 10h+ of sleep to feel good. (weekend, vacations)
Same here, lol. I play not much osu! during the week because of that, or only very casual. The weekend is mostly the time I get the good scores.
enap
just yesterday i did an all nighter, at the end like being awake after 15-20hours you get quite slow in the reactions, couldnt pass maps i usually beat with ease
-sev
I can't play for shit without decent sleep time. My aim is off.
-Yuno Gasai-

Blanky wrote:

So... My body is weak, so whenever I drink green tea latte or energy drinks, I can't sleep for the whole night. Does this one night of no sleep actually affect how I play in osu!? I'm asking this because sleep deprivation can cause a slow in reflexes. Has anyone stayed up all night and played osu! with no change to their skill?
I'm going to bump this but with an accurate answer that may help everyone out there to settle this out.

Please do NOT force yourself to read the entire thing you can just skip to the underlined text because it resume mostly my point if you're a fan of facts, arguments, stuff based on evidences and comparaison well read all.

Take note that I was myself tired when I wrote this can you believe it lol. Well actually I was silly and took my medication way too late thinking I couldn't play without it which was true but didn't know it would affect my sleep if I wasn't taking it the morning. My point is please do not attack/respond to me with comments such as "wow your grammar sucks man" and things like that because first of all my native language isn't english, I also have autism I just wanted to mention that out and I'M TIRED. Yeah I totally took the time to wrote this because I must stay awake.

Effects of sleep deprivation
Sleep deprivation can cause many problems in many sides of a human daily life. There is actually so much negatives effects that I will only bring up the one affecting you on osu! on the physical and psychological side. And after that I will for both give a brief explaination of the "requirements" needed as a human to play osu correctly.

Physical effects : To work correctly a human need to sleep this is a fundamental need. Because without energy your system will work poorly. You can have a significant lose of strenght and stamina. You may also tend to feel more pain or at a higher degree. You may also have handicaps towards your 5 sense. Your dexterity will be affected aswell but this as a bigger impact on the psychology side. This is a really short "overall" of the most important effects on the physical side.

Physical skills you need while playing osu! : osu! is a game about clicking in general. But you have to follow depending on the mapping style a certain beat which leads you to use your hands constantly differently over and over again. By that you have to use dexterity and stamina. In certains maps you would have a high bpm which force you to click faster or more consistently and that require mostly stamina,strenght and speed.

So now it is time for the most important facts.

Psychological effects : Lacking sleep on this side is mostly affecting well your whole brain. Basically someone who had a horrible night would have tendencies to feel negative emotions such as anger, anxiety, depression and irritability mostly. On the 5 sense your vision would be less effective on catching details or things going fast. On your hearing side you may experience difficulty understanding words/sounds or interprete correctly something. Your reflexes WILL be weaker and the risk you do things wrong or with mistakes in it are highly expected. By feeling more anxiety you could be unaible to have a "straight" mind sort of saying and be too worried to actually relax and appreciate the game the way it is. Your concentration will be way inferior to it's normal state. If you're the "stubborn" type you will have a decrease of that usual reaction. Your emotions might also be unbalanced when you feel them. There could also be effects towards memory but it's wrongly seen, by doing "sometimes" lack of sleep you will experience difficulty to remember something you already knew how it worked or will complete it slower and I did said sometimes but even just one night could leads you to experience such things.

Psychological skills you need while playing osu! : It wasn't at first my favorite idea to bring this up but I think I have no choices considering how much things I must compare on this side. osu! has this mind-set for some people that leads to very bad habits. If you take it on one side osu! is a competitive game with constant tracking progress. Someone who has tendencies to feel negative emotions/thoughts would consider this much more importantly than someone who play because it likes clicking circles. But my point is that lacking sleep and playing osu! isn't a good match for these kind of people. Because in these scnearios everything will be harder in every ways possible and having habits of seeing something "good" as "bad" because it's not "the best" would be dramatic. In big lacking sleep and thinking you can still play osu! good will leads you to strengthen your negative emotions and make your day worse. Also osu! has this thing called AR (Approach Rate) [The higher the value, the less time you will have to see the obstacle.] affect globally your vision like I said lacking sleep would leads your eyes to react slower to something going on especially when it's fast you would see it but not interprete it correctly. For the hearing well the interpretation is less effective you would have a hard time doing a 90bpm map with lots of misses because you click too fast and you would have a hard time doing a 222bpm (totally not a reference) because you would click too slow or get to the next movement too slowly (this is mostly assumptions based on personal experience). Also considering osu! works with this system called PP (Performance Points) [google:1337]https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Performance_Points[/google:1337] if you readed the link I gave you know how to get pp now so I can skip that part. The point where I want to get with is that PP is the most valueable way to get positions which obviously when you're close to do brings emotions such as excitement, stress and even adrenaline. Your emotions might be completetly unbalanced when such events happen that you won't be able to control them or deal with them. And yes to be able to "FC" a map you must be concentrated except if you do something way too easy for your level. Map with high OD (Overall Difficulty) [The higher this value, the more difficult it is to make the most of a point when passing an obstacle] would be a pain for your memory mostly because it imply many skills all together. You would have to remember how "triple and double" works or when to click with tricky sliders and circles all together things like that and all that while keeping up your speed.

My opinion about boost of energy and all these things with osu! : It's bad. I mean like seriously it's a very bad idea. It's not because you're "WOKE" that
you will be good at this game or will be able to play longer (with actual progression due to these extra hours). This is not the right energy you need. You can progress a lot everyday by doing the right things such as sleeping a good amount of time and reading stuff to improve your performance for your computer and doing somewhat exercises like stretching and I'm serious IT WORK. But the most important factor to have a decent progression is TO PLAY A LOT. Energy drinks will on the moment look good but afterwards will be very bad for you. Anything that seems to cause you a problem on osu! ? Google it! I've learned so much useful things that helped me out to enjoy this game and play it good without like having to buy a tablet and praise Cookiezi our lord and savior. There is literally a lot of things that could be preventing you from playing good like Mouse Acceleration or a unstable imput latency or a lack of fps...But energy drinks won't fix those lol.

So yeah that's about it did I answered your question Blanky?

I would really enjoy if an admin/moderator could also quote my post on "the official thread" for people looking for help about their performance like that thread with the title "Still not improving on osu! Click to know why!" maybe some people issues are only due to sleep. Also yes I am very sorry that I keep being cancerous and bump old posts like that but I'm sure a lot of people seen this thread by googling "osu bad sleep skill less?" and didn't find an answer to their problem and they are just going to make another useless thread about it when I think my answer on this subject is clear
vinnicci
^necro, but nice formatting, it makes me look away though.
Wishes

TheSatanicAngel wrote:

<snip>
Pretty interesting to read, although most of it is common sense. I think I play a little better when tired though, because my mind is more blank, resulting in more focus. Osu is almost entirely not requiring conscious thought once you're proficient enough, so I'd disagree that being tired has much of an effect on performance at all. I also disagree that energy drinks are bad for performance, sure it's a short-time boost, but it's pretty effective for helping you focus and has no real long term drawbacks (besides if you lose sleep over it or get addicted etc).
-Yuno Gasai-

Wishes wrote:

TheSatanicAngel wrote:

<snip>
Pretty interesting to read, although most of it is common sense. I think I play a little better when tired though, because my mind is more blank, resulting in more focus. Osu is almost entirely not requiring conscious thought once you're proficient enough, so I'd disagree that being tired has much of an effect on performance at all. I also disagree that energy drinks are bad for performance, sure it's a short-time boost, but it's pretty effective for helping you focus and has no real long term drawbacks (besides if you lose sleep over it or get addicted etc).

What I agree on : If you're very experienced with the game and played a lot sleep deprivation may actually not affect you. In your case it is possible that energy drinks clear your mind and help you stay focused. Yes energy drinks AREN'T interfering much with global performance (but I was refering it to combining with lacking sleep based on a big part of assumptions and my experience on the subject.)

Quick note : I know I only made my thread in a negative view field of sleep deprivation and energy drinks but indeed there is a few positive effects of energy drinks but they aren't that big of a deal and aren't even if they are "positives" the right/best way of doing it.

What I disagree on : osu IS requiring psychological skills the only difference is that they may not be that effortful to get after playing for a real long time but they will still be there and used. Being tired DOES affect your performance this is an important thing to understand. On your opinion and self-experience it doesn't seems to bother you but that's it again because you played A LOT. But whoever I can take that is "an average player" will experience a lot of difficulties or problems while playing tired (to improve or do significantly good). Also for the things about energy drinks (go see that logic schema and come back here) this is how I see it. So if I follow my idea of a generalisation of the subject energy drinks would have more negatives effects than positives effects. In your situation you did what was right and took responsibility and the maturity to take it correctly which doesn't affect you in a negative way. But you have still a higher risk of having someone trying out energy drinks and get stuck in a vicious circle like this one. And if you add the sleep deprivation effects on your psychological side it's even worse! And this is very important to understand before taking energy drinks the risk is real. You can get in a depression because of it and you can even die of an overdose. Considering this game is meant mostly for a young public I wouldn't recommand them you understand?

Click me for some logic about energy drinks
Energy drink + lacking sleep + occasional consommation = positive result
Energy drink + lacking sleep + often consommation = bad result (and habit)
Bad habit + addiction (based on energy drinks risk) = vicious circle
Vicious circle = problems

Quick note : I never said this in the first place but my intentions were for the reader to understand this full-messsage was meant "as a whole" in general not for specific people.

So this is what I wanted to clear out!

Quick opinion about your usage of energy drinks : The way I see it you take energy drinks to play osu! The effects it brings you are an increase of focus and a clear mind. In the otherhand you have to deal with sleep problems but since you have a higher level of skill in the game it is not a problem.

Honestly I think you should go see a doctor. In most cases you may just have issues with anxiety. I know you never said anything about anxiety but yeah this is common actually. Anxiety could leads you to have difficulty keeping your mind on one thing and not get lost or overthink. Maybe you only experience such things on osu! if it's the case pills might not be helpful. But if in your daily life you have issues with tasks as completing them in a delay of time or being relaxed pills may help.

It might not be the case at all again this is just assumptions from my experience. But the way I see it you take energy drinks to fix that problem which is understandable if you never knew that there was a solution that brings less negative effects in your life. I just think you should take this answer in consideration. Energy drinks aren't made to fix concentration/anxiety problems. They exist to bring suddent energy when needed.

Have a nice day/night :)