forum

Anyone feel like they got the short end of the stick?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Vuelo Eluko

[-Cloud-] wrote:

And 6000pp are looking pretty golden for him. It's all about perspective.
qft
i used to think 1k pp was good
then 2k
now im almost 3k and my view on myself hasnt changed
Nameless
I suck at mods, seriously, my mod accuracy's are awful
winber1
just take the long end next time if you don't like the one you have.
Top Bunk

winber1 wrote:

just take the long end next time if you don't like the one you have.
I tried that before, but the other end was even shorter.

I tried to tape a second stick to it, but the stick broke and I was forced to suffer with my incompetence.
Topic Starter
Clappy
I've been on a hot run lately re-doing some old scores and barely moving in pp and this is how I feel. (Kanye's part obv)

GoldenWolf

KukiMonster wrote:

I'm pretty sure it didn't take any of the +5k pp players 4 months to get 2k pp, so yeah, I got a short end too. Rank #11,276 @ 150k plays /dream.
Ya it took me 6 months

goml
Karuta-_old_1
Don't worry, a lot of people even in my country beat me at high bpm stream maps (because there are no jumps in it)

Just keep alternating and try to relax your hand more. For some reason, I can stream faster with my hands relaxed rather than stiff
Illkryn
give me reading
give me acc
give me aim
[-Cloud-]

Illkryn wrote:

give me reading
give me acc
give me aim
why is everyone faster than me
americans once again took away what i love
Gumpy
I feel like I got the shortest of shortest sticks in osu.
-sev
I suck and I'm perfectly fine with it.

Last time I checked this was a game and I play it for fun.
-Soba-
all I'm good at is aim too ):
Gid
Wait do I win
Kittles
Short end of the stick? Your skill depends on how much time you put into the game, and how efficiently you use that time to get better. How can you be more efficient? First of all, play maps that are out of your comfort zone. I'm not saying to get on osu! and play the big black with no fail 50 times in a row. That's called your panic zone. You can't comprehend what's going on and there's literally no where to improve upon. You need to find maps that are in what is called your growth zone. These are usually maps that you can just barely pass without no fail. It's hard to figure out what maps these are, but finding them and practicing them are well worth your time.

Also, It really bugs me when people try and claim that so called talent is what's holding them down and is the reason why great players are the way they are. I hate to break it to you, but talent doesn't exist- or it only slightly influences your ability to become great at something. Talent makes people who work hard look like they were given something, and makes people who don't work hard look like they can't achieve something great. Put in the time and get ready to grind, because practice is the only thing that will make you better.
Lhijn

pied wrote:

Short end of the stick? Your skill depends on how much time you put into the game, and how efficiently you use that time to get better.
this. If you know that you lack in some points you can focus on them and get rid of them.
B1rd

pied wrote:

Short end of the stick? Your skill depends on how much time you put into the game, and how efficiently you use that time to get better. How can you be more efficient? First of all, play maps that are out of your comfort zone. I'm not saying to get on osu! and play the big black with no fail 50 times in a row. That's called your panic zone. You can't comprehend what's going on and there's literally no where to improve upon. You need to find maps that are in what is called your growth zone. These are usually maps that you can just barely pass without no fail. It's hard to figure out what maps these are, but finding them and practicing them are well worth your time.

Also, It really bugs me when people try and claim that so called talent is what's holding them down and is the reason why great players are the way they are. I hate to break it to you, but talent doesn't exist- or it only slightly influences your ability to become great at something. Talent makes people who work hard look like they were given something, and makes people who don't work hard look like they can't achieve something great. Put in the time and get ready to grind, because practice is the only thing that will make you better.
this isn't true. talent exists.
Kittles

B1rd wrote:

pied wrote:

Last time I checked, there wasn't any genetic coding for circle clicking performance. Or any other activity related to skill
SPOILER
also you might want to check this book out: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... 0overrated
GoldenWolf

B1rd wrote:

Talent is the excuse people find for their lack of motivation/time to put effort into something.
blourgh
I pretty much just play low bpm OD8 maps because I'm far too shit for anything else and I feel overranked (I mean if you look at my top plays, they're ones that give more pp than they're worth).
chainpullz

B1rd wrote:

I think you are confusing talent with internal drive. No, I'm not talking about the shitty external drive where you tell yourself you want to be the best. I'm talking about the subconscious drive to succeed. If you don't have that internal drive it doesn't matter how much you think you want to be the best, you simply won't improve the way people who have it do. These people aren't talented, they just really, truly took improving seriously.
-Electro-

NixXSkate wrote:

I feel your pain, streams are evil.
Top Bunk
There is still talent to a degree. Some motor skills are involved after all, and some people just naturally have more control over it than others. Though someone without any talent that puts in hard work and effort can still exceed someone with talent that doesn't bother to improve upon it.

Like, I know people who haven't played any rhythm games before and only play osu! casually. Yet they can stream over 200bpm no problem and have sight reading and aim on par with me. While I've spent twice as much time trying to work on my skills and improve as hard as I can. But I can still only stream mash 160bpm at most and he's been keeping up with me on all other skills with hardly any effort. If he actually put in as much time and effort as I have, he could at least double or triple his current pp.

Not saying that I play 24/7 every day or something (especially considering my play count), but I at least put in a few to several hours each day, taking a day off after two or three days to rest up, depending on the hours I've put in. Point is, talent is a thing. I'm not the most efficient with my training in comparison to others, but someone who puts in only half the effort I do, like a couple of my friends, still manages to be better.
Illkryn

NixXSkate wrote:

I feel your pain, streams are evil.

Streams > flailing my cursor across the screen :(
chainpullz

SlasherZX wrote:

Like, I know people who haven't played any rhythm games before and only play osu! casually. Yet they can stream over 200bpm no problem and have sight reading and aim on par with me. While I've spent twice as much time trying to work on my skills and improve as hard as I can. But I can still only stream mash 160bpm at most and he's been keeping up with me on all other skills with hardly any effort. If he actually put in as much time and effort as I have, he could at least double or triple his current pp.
Sounds like you are trying to stream 200bpm and they are just playing the rhythm (aka, you are thinking too hard about it). Ear training is a thing and doesn't require rhythm games. Being in good physical shape also helps. Neither of these two requires playing osu! and neither of them is "talent".
Top Bunk

chainpullz wrote:

SlasherZX wrote:

Sounds like you are trying to stream 200bpm and they are just playing the rhythm (aka, you are thinking too hard about it). Ear training is a thing and doesn't require rhythm games. Being in good physical shape also helps. Neither of these two requires playing osu! and neither of them is "talent".
I am in good physical shape and rather physically active. Not sure what that has to do with anything though. Considering I have an obese friend who still streams faster and more consistently.

Also, I do listen to the rhythm. But my fingers can't move faster than 160bpm regardless (which I can admit motor skills aren't really a "talent", so a mistake on my part. But still genetics can still play a role in a person's motor capabilities). Music can't suddenly make your fingers move faster though. All listening to the music and rhythm can do is help with accuracy. Which that in itself can at least be considered a talent, as some are more musically inclined than others.
chainpullz

SlasherZX wrote:

Music can't suddenly make your fingers move faster though. All listening to the music and rhythm can do is help with accuracy. Which that in itself can at least be considered a talent, as some are more musically inclined than others.
You would be surprised the exertion your body can perform for brief periods of time. Most "200bpm streams" only last a second or two. I can burst streams well above the bpm I can consistently stream with OD10. If you have a good ear and your muscles are in good sync with the beat streams will just happen. There are 200bpm streams I can play on HR simply because they fit so well even though I can only stream ~180bpm. If you have to actually think about streams you've already done something wrong: thinking. Everything should be automatic.
I Give Up
Hmmm I dunno. Talent might help, maybe, just maybe.

GoldenWolf wrote:

Ya it took me 6 months

goml
So I have till end of november, my 6th month, to get to your 5k pp? ezpzhddt (goddam you were fast!)
GoldenWolf
Yeah it took me 6 months to get my 5k pp in ppv2
What I didn't say though is I haven't started at 0 :^)
Top Bunk

chainpullz wrote:

You would be surprised the exertion your body can perform for brief periods of time. Most "200bpm streams" only last a second or two. I can burst streams well above the bpm I can consistently stream with OD10. If you have a good ear and your muscles are in good sync with the beat streams will just happen. There are 200bpm streams I can play on HR simply because they fit so well even though I can only stream ~180bpm. If you have to actually think about streams you've already done something wrong: thinking. Everything should be automatic.
Lol, I play this game so that I don't have to think about anything in the first place. So I'm doing nothing wrong. My streaming is rather consistent too, until I reach a bpm above my limits. Like for a longer 180bpm stream I can hit the first 5 notes fine, then 5 after that are 100's and 5 more after that are 50's. And then it's gg from there if there's anymore than 15 notes in the stream. Which is not too uncommon to see longer streams in higher difficulty songs.
nrl
People who try to argue that talent doesn't exist need to think a bit harder before arguing.
Karuta-_old_1

Narrill wrote:

People who try to argue that talent doesn't exist need to think a bit harder before arguing.
This argument is going no where, someone HAS to get the short end of the stick and someone HAS to be better than the rest

The other factors are, mentioned previously
Your physical conditions, hyper/healthy/tired/sick
Your effort
Your weapons
Motivation
and other disturbances (Phone calls, your mum and etc)
Top Bunk
The people arguing for talent being a thing aren't even arguing against other factors being a thing. There are plenty of factors that we all know come into play obviously. But some level of talent is still definitely an existing thing and cannot be disproved. Saying there's no talent involved is like saying left-handed people can use their right hand to perform tasks just as well as with their left. Is it possible? Yes. But they have to work harder in learning to do so than those born right-handed. It's the same principle.
dinopwn
Focus on acc. Acc gives a lot of pp these days, go over your best scores and get over 99% on them.

I feel the same way, getting a new keyboard has helped me become 20% faster, but im still slower than avarage for my rank.
nrl

pied wrote:

Last time I checked, there wasn't any genetic coding for circle clicking performance. Or any other activity related to skill
It's this quote that I was primarily responding to. There isn't any genetic coding for pulling things off high shelves or being attractive either.
RaneFire
I just find it funny that kids who play computer games for a couple years (a casual activity for most) argue with human history itself to say that talent doesn't exist.
[-Cloud-]

RaneFire wrote:

I just find it funny that kids who play computer games for a couple years (a casual activity for most) argue with human history itself to say that talent doesn't exist.
5deep7me
Kittles

Narrill wrote:

pied wrote:

It's this quote that I was primarily responding to. There isn't any genetic coding for pulling things off high shelves or being attractive either.
I don't think you really understood what I was saying. If there's no genetic coding for being attractive, then where do our traits such as blond hair, green eyes, cleft chin, etc come from? There isn't a segment of your DNA that's labeled "attractive" "unattractive" or "average", it just so happens that certain traits are favored more over other ones. Also attractiveness is relative.

Someone earlier in the thread said something along the lines of that talent doesn't exist directly for osu! or other activities, but there are advantages from person to person with motor skills. This is correct. Some people do have advantages over others, and naturally excel slightly better than others. This doesn't take away from the fact that the "disadvantaged" person can't get better than someone who excels without trying. Naturally excelling at something doesn't take you very far. You might start off fast because your a quick learner, but it's impossible to become great without putting in hard work. Another way to look at it, is if everyone played the exact amount of time, doing the exact same thing, and had the exact same concentration, skill levels would still fluctuate. But only marginally. Hard work is what distinguishes the good from the best, and if you can accept that, it opens up a whole world of opportunity to you.

RaneFire wrote:

Also, elaborate on this "human history" please.
Vuelo Eluko
Age is another factor, younger people have softer brains and learn quicker. if some 6-7 year old could actually muster up the attention span required to get good at osu! he would be a force to be reckoned with, easily the next cookiezi before his tenth birthday.

come to think of it wasnt rrtyui like 11 when he started?
RaneFire

pied wrote:

I don't think you really understood what I was saying. If there's no genetic coding for being attractive, then where do our traits such as blond hair, green eyes, cleft chin, etc come from? There isn't a segment of your DNA that's labeled "attractive" "unattractive" or "average", it just so happens that certain traits are favored more over other ones. Also attractiveness is relative.

Someone earlier in the thread said something along the lines of that talent doesn't exist directly for osu! or other activities, but there are advantages from person to person with motor skills. This is correct. Some people do have advantages over others, and naturally excel slightly better than others. This doesn't take away from the fact that the "disadvantaged" person can't get better than someone who excels without trying. Naturally excelling at something doesn't take you very far. You might start off fast because your a quick learner, but it's impossible to become great without putting in hard work. Another way to look at it, is if everyone played the exact amount of time, doing the exact same thing, and had the exact same concentration, skill levels would still fluctuate. But only marginally. Hard work is what distinguishes the good from the best, and if you can accept that, it opens up a whole world of opportunity to you.

RaneFire wrote:

Also, elaborate on this "human history" please.
I don't know why you assumed that we would think of talent as an "instantly good at something" trait. It's not. We know that. There are factors in our genome, which are random at best, that help us with certain activities. That's what we refer to as talent. It all takes hard work, and from what you are saying, your line of thinking is no different from ours. You just made assumptions of what people thought about it.

There's plenty of human history if you're prepared to look, from musicians to artists, to war strategists. Talent comes in many forms. All talent must be nurtured and requires effort on the individual's part. When talent is nurtured at a young age and this person has worked at it for their entire life up to that point, setting themselves apart from everyone, that person can truly be considered talented. Talent requires hard work. Hard work does not require talent.
Kittles

RaneFire wrote:

I don't know why you assumed that we would think of talent as an "instantly good at something" trait. It's not. We know that. There are factors in our genome, which are random at best, that help us with certain activities. That's what we refer to as talent. It all takes hard work, and from what you are saying, your line of thinking is no different from ours. You just made assumptions of what people thought about it.

There's plenty of human history if you're prepared to look, from musicians to artists, to war strategists. Talent comes in many forms. All talent must be nurtured and requires effort on the individual's part. When talent is nurtured at a young age and this person works at it for their entire life, setting themselves apart from everyone, the person can truly be considered talented. Talent requires hard work. Hard work does not require talent.
I didn't assume that. Is your idea of talent that there is some skill plateau that isn't possible or extremely difficult to cross unless you have excessive talent? If your saying talent is the same thing as skill potential, then your wrong.
show more