forum

[resolved] Score multiplier shown in mod menu for Hard Mods [osu!mania]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
October Scream
Problem Details:
When you're in the osu!mania mode, multipliers are shown to give the usual score change, but no score bonus is applied to the game. The only problem is that; the score multiplier changing and displaying for hard mods in osu!mania mod menu.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20141008.17 (latest)
Ayaya
They been had that ever since cutting edge was released 2 months ago or so, most likely those are going to be the values once they make mods count toward score (maybe).
smoogipoo
Combo multiplier actually does apply to Mania, just not in the same way that it does for other game modes (it's much more subtle). Essentially, it affects how 'punished' you are for hitting below 300. Have a look at the osu!mania wiki article!
Ayaya

smoogipooo wrote:

Combo multiplier actually does apply to Mania, just not in the same way that it does for other game modes (it's much more subtle). Essentially, it affects how 'punished' you are for hitting below 300. Have a look at the osu!mania wiki article!
I apologize if i'm mistakening but we were talking about the mods, not combos. We know combo slightly affects score already.
smoogipoo
Combo multiplier is the score multiplier, that was my mistake in wording. What you see in the mod selection is actually used in calculation, so I don't think it's right to remove this (especially seeing as it's documented).
Topic Starter
October Scream
If they make mods count towards score then that's gonna be a complete unfair advantage since all I do is FL.

That would also require a whole scoreboard wipe if they would do something like that since new multiplier variables would be applied. In the last update (Not test build) and the other past few, the score multiplier never changed since mods are just mods. There really is no added challenge when a mod is added to mania, so why would they add a score multiplier now?
smoogipoo
Just to be clear, no calculations have been changed. No score multiplier has been 'added' - it was already there, since the beginning of osu!Mania. Things have however been moved around, and what you are seeing in the mod selection should've actually been there from the start because those are (and were previously) the real values.
Topic Starter
October Scream

October Scream wrote:

The only problem is that; the score multiplier changing and displaying in osu!mania.
I guess I should have added "in osu!mania mod menu," at the end. I'm aware no calculations are being applied in game like it should be.

smoogipooo wrote:

what you are seeing in the mod selection should've actually been there from the start because those are (and were previously) the real values.
The real values for any hard mod are x1.00. Easy mods still take away like usual, and keymods take their part too.
smoogipoo
I personally disagree, it shows that mods have some effect in mania beyond pp, even if it's only slight leniency in accuracy rather than bonus score. I will be talking with the rest of the team to see if this needs to be considered an issue.
Topic Starter
October Scream
The only mods that change accuracy in mania are Hard Rock, Easy, Half Time, and Double Time. Double Time and Half time I think are barely even changed since all it's doing is continuing to match the hit error for MAX to 300s OD. Hard Rock and Easy change the actual OD, but it really doesn't matter since all Hard Rock does is make a smaller hit area, but it doesn't make the game any harder if you have an almost perfect hit range. There really isn't anything to talk with about the team about adding score bonuses to mania since there's no added skill when using a hard mod.

Let's compare this to IIDX or DJMax, you don't get a score bonus for using Hidden+Sudden or Lift in IIDX, because the accuracy stays the same no matter what. It's just like putting paper over the screen. DJMax doesn't give a bonus for Fade-In, Fade-out, or Fade-Middle because accuracy doesn't change. Just another paper on the screen.

And also I'm gonna be completely honest from what I see, you don't look like much of a mania player. Coming in and saying "Hard mods should give bonuses" when in reality they don't give much more of a challenge is just saying you never had enough VSRG experience.
smoogipoo
You are correct that I'm not a Mania player. My job is to keep the game mode running, and one of the changes I made to fix out-of-place code made this visual change. I didn't think this change would affect users in the way it did to you, especially considering this change was in cutting edge for most of the previous month or two and I hadn't received any reports.

I have discussed this with the team and have already pushed an update for this issue, just wait for it to get merged into cutting edge.

Thanks for cooperating with me to reach a resolution to this issue.