forum

Full screen (without full area) VS Windowed (with full area)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nameless
Is there a difference between the 2? Is it worth switching to window mode? I'm not sure but i see a lot of pros use window mode, does it help with accuracy at all?
B1rd
it helps you keep an eye on the whole screen at once. A small advantage, doesn't make a big difference.
Topic Starter
Nameless

B1rd wrote:

it helps you keep an eye on the whole screen at once. A small advantage, doesn't make a big difference.
Ok, thanks.
Woobowiz
Unless you can't handle anything over CS 5 or 6, go with the windowed + full area.
koromo
Many really good players play fullscreen, nothing wrong with it at all. Go with whatever feels most comfortable for you.
chainpullz
Lower resolutions give better frame-rate. Full-screen gives better frame-rate. Higher frame-rate is generally a good thing. Basically if you are playing full screen resolution make sure you have the full-screen box checked.
B1rd
you would have to have a really crappy computer if frame-rate was an issue for osu!..
chainpullz

B1rd wrote:

you would have to have a really crappy computer if frame-rate was an issue for osu!..
The difference between 800fps and 1400fps is actually quite noticeable. Especially when we are talking ar10+
koromo

chainpullz wrote:

The difference between 800fps and 1400fps is actually quite noticeable. Especially when we are talking ar10+
Is 800fps not good enough? I get 300 - 400fps and do just fine, 99% HR scores any day. I can also play 10.3 but I wouldn't say I can read it.

Not saying it doesn't help but it's most likely negligible by that point (over 500fps).
chainpullz

koromo wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

Is 800fps not good enough? I get 300 - 400fps and do just fine, 99% HR scores any day. I can also play 10.3 but I wouldn't say I can read it.

Not saying it doesn't help but it's most likely negligible by that point (over 500fps).
It may or may not have to do with the fact that my eyes have acclimated to hours of 1400+ fps at this point. FPS is one of those things that's hard to stick a number to since the human eye doesn't see in frames. If something mimics natural light patterns then it becomes less and less noticable as you approach the 30 fps benchmark or whatever they use for movies. Since osu! is simply circles appearing on the screen and such it's easier for the eye to discern a difference.

There also may/may not be an issue with dropped frames (as opposed to just less frames) with windows 8 and windowed mode and that might be more of what I'm noticing. I recall there possibly being input lag in windowed mode or something. I don't know details and am too lazy too look into it atm since it won't affect the settings I use anyways.
B1rd

chainpullz wrote:

B1rd wrote:

no it's not.
sayonara_sekai
120 vs 240 is noticeable but after that...nah.. I dont play ar10 tho so maybe it affects that.
Omgforz
Window mode gives you the huge advantage of just changing your screen resolution which changes your active area without the need of relearning of all that muscle memory you've acquired.

Fullscreen however, makes it pretty easy to focus on individual notes and I would always advise to go as big as you can.

Go big or go home.
Mathsma
Full screen is more responsive, windowed lets you use less of your peripheral vision. That is the main difference I notice. Also, running your game at higher frame rates makes it more responsive.
Ohrami
I use windowed with full area because that's what I've used my whole life, but full screen is technically better (less input lag and higher framerate) so do what you want
GoldenWolf

chainpullz wrote:

Since I suffered playing on a toaster that runs osu! at 40fps, I can safely say that anything over 240fps is pretty much pointless as it doesn't make any noticeable difference, it's only below that point that you'd start performing worse than usual
Aqo
placebo: the thread
Ohrami
difference between fullscreen and windowed input lag is no where close to placebo
GoldenWolf

Kyou-kun wrote:

difference between fullscreen and windowed input lag is no where close to placebo
disable aero
Ohrami
B1rd
looks like you're proof against placebo lag effects.
Gumpy
There is no real reason not too use over 1k fps seeing as how my computer does it no problem.
Spec_old_1

koromo wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

you are a rare breed
[ yogurt ]
I just switched from fullscreen 1366 with area about 40% of the tablet to full area windowed 1024x600 Yeah I play on a shitty laptop that doesn't go over 1366x768, and even though circles are very small now I feel more comfortable that way.

So windowed full area I guess.