forum

What are your least favorite anime stereotypes?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Apex_old
untitled
silmarilen
tsundere
sure it's hard to show your true feelings, but you dont have to go around hitting the person you like whenever you can.

litle sister
im not a big fan of cute characters, especially when it's so forced like the "cute litle sister" character.

psychotic badguy (you know like the guy that locks up asuna in SAO)
seriously, cant you just be a cool badguy like lelouch' father or something.
Ceph23

silmarilen wrote:

tsundere
sure it's hard to show your true feelings, but you dont have to go around hitting the person you like whenever you can.

silmarilen wrote:

Little Sister
These as well. Specifically the Imouto type. This is just a screwed up fantasy made up by people who don't have little sisters. The idea of having the slightest feelings of sexual interest for your sister is something I REALLY don't even want to consider and it just makes me feel weird thinking about it.

Also, I don't know what it's called, But I absolutely DESPISE the generic main characters of most Harem anime.
You know those guys who get all the girls just by being nice to them. That kind of shit is getting really old.

I also don't get the appeal of the whole Yandere thing
If I had a girlfriend with psychotic tendencies..... know what, I won't even go for a girl like that and I don't know who would, unless you're a masochist.

It's a reasonably long list but let's just end it here.
Topic Starter
Apex_old
untitled
Jindujun93
I guess if it comes down to a particular stereotype, a combination of both the Tsundere and Ojou stereotypes is just far too hard to watch. I mean - yes, there are Tsunderes I like (though only a selected few), and if I'm looking further into it a few Ojou characters as well, but most of the time I don't. So if they combine both (like with Mine in Akame ga Kill for example), it just makes me want to vomit.
Ceph23
Alright point taken, and yeah S;G anime was horrible in comparison to the VN. Also based on what you just said, I can't help but worry that Grisia no Kaijutsu will turn into a full harem anime.

Anyway next stereotype that I'm not particularly fond of, The Himedere.
I really can't get into these type of girls. Any of them. These almost always blond, high and mighty, prideful characters are not only completely annoying in my book, but are probably not even close to how royalties actually act.

But hey, I'm not royalty nor do I personally know any like them, but still.....
joi-
Royal characters, god they drive me nuts.
HaruryuuSan
Kuudere and Yandere. They piss me off. -w-
Gumpy
When one character is unsure of himeself for no reason and crys.
Trauter

silmarilen wrote:

tsundere
Karona_old
A female character who was created just to be the love interest of the main character. She can't do anything, always clings to him and depends on him , kinda dumb, always annoying and etc. It drives me crazy, we really need more badass female characters!
Gumpy

Karona wrote:

A female character who was created just to be the love interest of the main character. She can't do anything, always clings to him and depends on him , kinda dumb, always annoying and etc.
Basically SAO in a nutshell.
Karona_old
Yeah, and that's the reason I never watched SAO and hate when people compare it to SnK.
lemonguy

Melon_s wrote:

Royal characters, god they drive me nuts.
Foxtrot
I actually don't mind tsunderes if they some depth and actual character development, rather than just sticking to the actual stereotype. Tsunderes just for the sake of being tsundere are overly annoying, yes.
tanteiRE
Like what people previously have said, the tsundere.
Really, all a tsundere is is someone who is cold on the outside but sweet on the inside. Saying things like "idiot" or "that doesn't make me happy at all" are just traits that sometimes go along with it.
Nowadays, simply saying "baka" seems to automatically label someone as a tsundere, and that pisses me off.

One more thing, I've been seeing haters on female characters who have a unique character design (such as Akane Tsunemori). Does a character seriously have to have a stereotypical pretty face for them to be likable?

On the other hand, there should be a topic for favorite anime stereotypes. I love kotatsu = evil.
Furasaki
Tsunderes and Himederes. Of course there are aome exceptions for tsunderes *cough* Chitoge *cough* but tsunderes usually get little to no character development. As for himederes they just piss me off.
Piine
Just going to throw out a explosive and long list of what I hate so prepare for the tl:dr people. Do note that there may be some slight NSFW topics I may bring up so I hope I don't offend anyone.

- Harems

As a person who watches some anime in my free time, I kinda despise (not all) harems. The reason is usually because
  1. The main protagonist plays the "nice guy/girl" role and try to be friendly with all the primary/secondary characters rather then starting a personal relationship such as what Ceph23 refers to.
  2. The main protagonist acts like a complete asshole/super pervert/sometimes petrified/ to the primary/secondary characters.
  3. Focus on just one primary/secondary character which in most cases fans hate. (usually happens to shows that adapted from Visual Novels.
  4. The main protagonist just go "School Days" on all the females/males.
I mean......come on. This is getting quite repetitive as hell now.

- Tsunderes

Just like all of the posters in this thread, if one of the primary characters has a personality of a tsundere. They must have at least some character development and at least some limitation to her's "tsun" side. I am getting quite annoyed at shows with characters who punt/kick/beat up the person they like. (An anime such as Love Hina would be a good one, but there are others too.)

- Bust Sizes

Usually happen in most harems as well as other genres as a certain kind of "fan service". I understand that mangakas/anime producers usually sometimes give females a bigger bust size to make them more "sexy". Though I rather like to see a girl/woman which doesn't have an abnormal boob size that is an equivalent size to my whole head.

- Shotacon/Lolicon

This I may have to keep in a spoiler. Do know if you open it, your are liable to what you see.
I have no issue with users who are into animes/manga that show loli/shotas in a sexual way, though I currently hate how some mangakas/anime producers are using this as a way to appeal to most fans who are interested in this sort of stuff. Its understand in most cases if the said loli/shota is a mythological race such as vampires/witches/etc. seeing age/lifespan between a human and such mythological creature is different, though even still weird, I am just speechless to this certain kind of thing.

- Imoutos

This I find also weird similar to Lolicons. I don't understand culturally and modernly why Japan mangakas/anime producers are into this kind of kink. I am sure most people in "real world terms" will start a personal "sexual" relationship with any of your "family members" that are related by blood. If said imouto though is not related by blood though, it's fine for me. (In anime that is..)

- Weak-Minded Protagonists

As the title said, I am not into weak-minded main characters. Mainly the ones who cry for apparently no reason entirely. It's understandable if they do it when they are weak in a certain period and then man up and become badass later, if this continues for a long period though, I will seriously commit seppuku.

and I think I brushed up everything.....I hope I haven't offend any users due to my opinion and if you have any questions or opinion of what I said, please don't hesitate to post.
Gumpy

Sulker wrote:

Wrote a lot
That's a lot of effort good on you basically the as me.
tanteiRE

Sulker wrote:

Just like all of the posters in this thread, if one of the primary characters has a personality of a tsundere. They must have at least some character development and at least some limitation to her's "tsun" side. I am getting quite annoyed at shows with characters who punt/kick/beat up the person they like. (An anime such as Love Hina would be a good one, but there are others too.)
Oy. Naru was a good tsundere. In the manga, she had some epic development. But yes, the kicking and slapping and katana chopping was a little extreme.
It's too bad anime adaptions don't do Ken Akamatsu's series any good.
Syphist
As everyone else is saying, tsunderes with little to no development that hardly show their nice side. Basically the reason why I hated Oreimo.
TheNekoNextDoor

Sulker wrote:

- Bust Sizes

Usually happen in most harems as well as other genres as a certain kind of "fan service". I understand that mangakas/anime producers usually sometimes give females a bigger bust size to make them more "sexy". Though I rather like to see a girl/woman which doesn't have an abnormal boob size that is an equivalent size to my whole head.
This. :|
Piine

tanteiRE wrote:

Oy. Naru was a good tsundere. In the manga, she had some epic development. But yes, the kicking and slapping and katana chopping was a little extreme.
It's too bad anime adaptions don't do Ken Akamatsu's series any good.
I do agree with that. Naru was a good tsundere and it actually took me a couple of fanfiction (yes I actually read some) to figure out most the girls were complete devils in most occasions.
tanteiRE

Sulker wrote:

I do agree with that. Naru was a good tsundere and it actually took me a couple of fanfiction (yes I actually read some) to figure out most the girls were complete devils in most occasions.
What else do you expect of female middle/high schoolers whose territory's been invaded by a male? lol.
And since we're on the topic, I'd like to share this wonderful AMV of Love Hina:
SPOILER

(it really represents what a lot of harem anime are about)
Piine
Though its those assholes who are petrified of women that instantly pisses me off. I mean, you have all these beautiful women and get alll this boob & ass (pardon my language) thrown at you from left to right and he be like, "No!". Sometimes I just want to pimp slap these male protagonists.... I mean if that was the real world, would you not be blessed to have that happen to you. :x
tanteiRE
Haha, I wouldn't know. I suppose so. Then again, it's normal to be in denial half the time. You wouldn't want to give the impression that you're a pervert (as obvious as it may already be).
Green Platinum

Sulker wrote:

Though its those assholes who are petrified of women that instantly pisses me off. I mean, you have all these beautiful women and get alll this boob & ass (pardon my language) thrown at you from left to right and he be like, "No!". Sometimes I just want to pimp slap these male protagonists.... I mean if that was the real world, would you not be blessed to have that happen to you. :x
What about androphobic female characters? Hate them or endearing?
Kaona
Weak/whiny protagonists *cough* Yukiteru from Mirai Nikki and himederes piss me off.

I'm also not a fan of generic harems. And girls with unbelievably big bust sizes.
Piine

Green Platinum wrote:

Sulker wrote:

What about androphobic female characters? Hate them or endearing?
Not to be sexist, but in both male & female's shoes, it quite understanding. Do understand phobias such as this usually happen if something traumatizing happen to the character. I use the term for "petrified of women" in this quote as satire. Though in most cases (from reading manga or watching animes), usually men and females get over their phobias of men and women.
AJ-FreakS
Royal Characters. Tsundere (blooooods) and also those clingy type characters.