forum

Windows 10 Hype Train

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
D33d
As Windows 10's technical preview has been released two days ago, several of you may have lunged into trying it out and may have already formed a strong opinion on the new features and general improvements. What are your thoughts on it, and what would you like to see? Microsoft have promised big things and they've created this proprietary Asimov feedback system, so they're openly asking their users for direction.

So far, I definitely like the fact that the Start menu is officially back and insanely versatile. Like, it's exactly what was needed in previous versions and then some. It can be stretched all the way to the top as a column, or all the way down to spread the tiles across the bottom.

Another neat touch is that the menu's background can be changed independently, but even cooler, when it's set to Automatic, the Start button's accent colour's also picked from the wallpaper:

As for actual functionality, I really enjoy the fact that windows can be snapped similarly to the app system in 8.1, although it's currently a bit clunky, unpredictable and obviously very incomplete to me. Better yet, instead of being limited to 50/50 snapping, windows can be snapped to take up any remaining space, even to the corners of the screen--the end result is that Windows finally has a tiling interface. I can see this being extremely useful for many people. Oh yeah, there are drop shadows again.

Unfortunately, the new snapping feature doesn't seem to play nice with puush, so I had to upload that screenshot to imgur. It looks like the snapping treats each window in a similar way to 8.1's app snapping, which also screws around with puush. Definitely worth bearing in mind for the rest of you who decide to run this preview.

Virtual desktops are also a feature, but I haven't found any real use for them yet. Alt+D shows the desktop on all of them and every active program is always active on the taskbar--as such, it kind of takes away the feel of having virtual spaces in the first place. It's certainly no spinning cube.

Among other visual things, system icons are finally being flattened. I really hope that this ends up being a comprehensive overhaul, because the mismatched clusterfuck of icons and UIs look like arse.

Lots of people have also reported substantial performance improvements in games, so this'll hopefully be felt in osu! as well. I swear that there was lag in 8.1 that's disappeared in 10.

There haven't been any tremendous changes as such, but there are already lots of nice conveniences. All 8/8.1 drivers seem to work, which means that those who might want to upgrade from 7 should have little trouble in that regard. It's all looking promising and I'm very interested to use this while all of these future changes will be made.

*Takes off anorak*
Mofu kun
im just wondering why they skipped nine
B1rd
think I'll stick with 7.
mm201
Those icons are uuugly
BeatofIke

B1rd wrote:

think I'll stick with 7.
This
Trash Boat
What happened to Windows 9? One just don't shoop da loop from 8 to 10 without passing by 9
ColdTooth
hmm

my school currently is using windows 8 (aswell as me and my parents), but i think this really looks like the same, just with "better" quality
Maiz94
Really looks like 8 but in new forms of arrangement. heh
Kyonko Hizara
Windows 9 was suppose to release in early 2015, but I'm not too sure what happened to it
Piine
Meh
KazmiSain
unofficially due to 3rd Party Libraries using somthing like: if (findString("Windows 9")) //its Windows 95 or 98 to detect if it's a Windows Version not supported any more, so if MS calls it Windows 9 lots of old, shitty code won't work any more and the effects can't be calculated.
Shigetora
How is playing osu in windowed mode on Windows 10? Is there same delay with cursor as there was with Windows 7 + Aero or with Windows 8?
AutoMedic

Trash Boat wrote:

What happened to Windows 9? One just don't shoop da loop from 8 to 10 without passing by 9
if valve can't count to three

then windows can't count to 9

oh btw sticking to my windows 7 until support ends.
OsuMe65
MS got 8.1 iirc
FrzR

MoF10 wrote:

Rio-

B1rd wrote:

think I'll stick with 7.
Topic Starter
D33d

mm201 wrote:

Those icons are uuugly
I honestly like them, but maybe they could be saturated or softened a bit more. In any case, it's good that they're trying to consolidate their design language.

To all the people asking why they skipped 9, the marketing reason is that they wanted to differentiate Threshold from 8 as much as possible, while also using 10 to imply a huge milestone. However, a legitimate technical reason appears to be down to Java programming. Windows 9x versions had lines of code pointing to "Windows 9*," so there may have been a risk of creating legacy or broken code accidentally. 8.1 and its updates could also be regarded as Windows 9 in itself, given how much had changed.

For windowed osu, I get the feeling that the lag's less noticeable, but I might have been tricking myself. There definitely aren't any fullscreen problems anyway. The only certain way of knowing would probably be a side-by-side comparison, although I'm not skilled or gameplay-focused enough to tell well enough.

I think a surprisingly nice feature for windowed osu! is the narrow borders. Already, they look much less distracting and annoying during gameplay. The 1px width is just enough to divide the window from my wallpaper, so it doesn't even look too cluttered. The massive drop shadow also helps a lot.
BrokenArrow
I like the new icons, flat is justice.
Any official statements on whether Windows 8.1 users will get Windows 10 as a free update? Some websites say it's just a rumour while others say it's been confirmed (without giving sources)
TheNekoNextDoor

BrokenArrow wrote:

Any official statements on whether Windows 8.1 users will get Windows 10 as a free update? Some websites say it's just a rumour while others say it's been confirmed (without giving sources)
And I've heard rumors that it'll be free for users of 7 and below... o_o
Corin

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

BrokenArrow wrote:

And I've heard rumors that it'll be free for users of 7 and below... o_o
8+
7 and bellow had the option to upgrade for a looong time.
Samui_old_1

MoF10 wrote:

They skipped 9 in order to prevent confusion between Windows 95 and 98.
Marcin

first person wrote:

second person wrote:

think I'll stick with xp.
said everyone after 7 release
IppE
Not really hyped, but if they show that they've fixed most of the glaring issues of win8 I might end up switching, but for now I'm sticking to win7 since I can get a licence for free.
Topic Starter
D33d
From what I've read, an official Indonesian or something head guy said it'd be a free 8 upgrade, while 7 users could upgrade for $30. If that is the case, then it sounds like a great deal--especially because there's an inbuilt factory reset option to effectively make it a clean install.

DEEDIT: Useful updates are already happening. Six keyboard shortcuts were added, with the most useful one being Ctrl + Win + Left/Right to switch between workspaces. If this is any indication of how slick things will be, the hype is going to be so fucking real.
Kraminka
It's about time that Windows got virtual desktops.

D33d wrote:

while 7 users could upgrade for $30.
I wasn't planning on getting 10, but if it's that cheap I may as well.
Senpoii

B1rd wrote:

think I'll stick with 7.
Topic Starter
D33d
See, I always knew that 8 wouldn't sway many people into ditching 7 and I only upgraded for shits and giggles and for the sake of trying something new (and legally having a properly activated OS). However, there really is a lot of change coming with 10 that should even have a lot of appeal to XP users. One of the reasons why I want to see these things progress is so that we're all on a better filesystem and that we can hopefully begin to say goodbye to full dependence on the broken and messy registry.

The way I see it, as long as users aren't roped into a subscription system that's a horrible ripoff, a lot will be right in this release. It seems that major versions will actually be ending at 10, with incremental updates happening frequently. It's quite interesting and I genuinely like the direction of everything now, 'cause frankly it seems that Microsoft are basically the ones who are driving all of this crazy all-in-one technology to exciting heights. If 10 really will be either cheap or free, then it'll be pretty much the best thing ever and Microsoft would still be raking it in from all of their OEMs and their own devices.
Nub1

MoF10 wrote:

on topic: the new icons looks better I guess
unko

Adicchi wrote:

MoF10 wrote:

le epic 9gag xDDDDD
this image is completely fucked though. how is windows 2000 bad? windows 2000 was one of the most reliable, hardcore versions (also xp is heavily based off it) but of course le maymay tards wouldn't understand that (also vista and 8 are good)

i fucking hate these stupid bandwagon posts
Trash Boat

Adicchi wrote:

MoF10 wrote:

kinda agree with this, yes
show more