forum

Singletapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
elliwz
I see a lot of people single tapping most of the time. And only use the second key on streams. But i'm wondering why they even single tap, i mean what do you gain from that? What is your opinion on single tapping, are there any pros/cons?
Vuelo Eluko
helps develop speed and allows you to play in a rhythmically sensible manner.
it's also a lot easier to do hard patterns singletapping
chainpullz
The main benefit is that streaming just becomes: tap other finger same speed as tapping first finger. When you alternate streaming is: increase speed of fingers to 2x speed except speed is not linearly related to energy used. When your brain wants to tell your fingers to move twice as fast, it has to compute exactly what twice as fast entails. When you single tap your brain basically just has to tell your other finger to start using the motion your first finger is using, offset half a beat (note when alternating your brain still has to compute the timing, it just has an additional computation it has to make).

(Please note I'm a computer scientist, not a neurologist. I can only make an analog to what a computer would have to do)

So while single tapping requires more physical exertion, it requires far less mental exertion. You can obviously overcome either of these barriers through practice. Also, you won't train for the physical portion of the game anywhere near as well as if you were single tapping. The same can be said about the mental portion; however, few maps require good finger control for long periods of time. The current pp system heavily favors physical training ahead of mental training though.
Topic Starter
elliwz
Okay thanks for your answers. But do you think single tapping is something i should start training? Because i have not single tapped at all so it would take a lot of time to get used to it.
Blanky

elliwz wrote:

Okay thanks for your answers. But do you think single tapping is something i should start training? Because i have not single tapped at all so it would take a lot of time to get used to it.
Do what you've been doing until now. I was an alternator until I started playing fast bpm insanes. I subconsciously started single tapping. It should all 'lock' into place, since it is all preference anyway.
Topic Starter
elliwz

Blanky wrote:

elliwz wrote:

Do what you've been doing until now. I was an alternator until I started playing fast bpm insanes. I subconsciously started single tapping. It should all 'lock' into place, since it is all preference anyway.
Ok thanks alot :)
B1rd
there seriously needs to be an 'alternating vs singletapping' sticky.
FlyingKebab
Actually I am interested in that statement. Even if you could single tap a 160BPM stream I don't think that your other finger could automatically keep with with your main tapping finger, that would be absurd. It would mean that there is some shortcut to making your fingers instantly faster since you other finger didn't have nearly enough speed training to become that fast.
chainpullz

FlyingKebab wrote:

Actually I am interested in that statement. Even if you could single tap a 160BPM stream I don't think that your other finger could automatically keep with with your main tapping finger, that would be absurd. It would mean that there is some shortcut to making your fingers instantly faster since you other finger didn't have nearly enough speed training to become that fast.
It really depends whether you tap solely with your arm/wrist or if you use either a hybrid or finger only motion I would imagine. If you aren't using much of a finger motion then streams will probably give you the same type of troubles an alternator would have. It's usually not difficult to toss your 2nd finger in to catch a triplet because that's more or less just a quick wrist tilt.

Anyways, the point isn't that your 2nd finger magically will stream at the same speed as your first finger. It's that your brain will try to tell it to use the same motion as your first finger. Obviously if you haven't built the muscles up in that 2nd finger it won't be able to comply.
winber1
your streaming will never be as fast as your singletapping speed

fact of life
GoldenWolf

winber1 wrote:

fact of life
That's right
My streaming speed is faster than my singletapping speed :^)
kuur0

GoldenWolf wrote:

winber1 wrote:

fact of life
That's right
My streaming speed is faster than my singletapping speed :^)
Ya I die faster single tapping x bpm than streaming x bpm
I Give Up
Single tapping is fun, I'm still learning though.